The Cheapest and Best Renters Insurance in Santa Rosa
The Companies With the Cheapest Renters Insurance in Santa Rosa
While shopping around for renters insurance, cost is one of the important factors to consider. Since most insurers provide similar coverage options, comparing several quotes can help you find the lowest rates for your needs.
For the average consumer, the most affordable renters insurance in Santa Rosa comes from:
- Lemonade: $70 per year
- Allstate: $96 per year
MoneyGeek obtained these rates based on policies that include $20,000 in personal property coverage, $100,000 in liability coverage and a standard deductible of $500. You can adjust the amount of personal property coverage in the following table to see how rates vary for each limit.
If you live outside of Santa Rosa, you can use MoneyGeek’s scores to compare statewide renters insurance rates for California.
Average Annual Rates for Personal Property Insurance
Personal Property Coverage:
Scroll for more
Compare Renters Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your renters insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
What Are the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Santa Rosa?
According to MoneyGeek’s research, the following companies offer the best renters insurance in Santa Rosa:
- Best Overall: USAA (Policies are limited to military members and their families)
- Runner-up: Allstate
To obtain these scores. MoneyGeek utilized a rating system that combines affordability, customer satisfaction scores from J.D. Power and financial stability scores from AM Best. The top insurers also provide exceptional coverage that are rarely offered by other providers.
USAA was ranked as the top insurer in Santa Rosa based on perfect scores for customer service and financial stability, as well as a high score for affordability. However, its policies are limited to current and former military members and their families.
USAA offers consistently affordable renters insurance coverage in the United States. Unlike other insurers, the company includes earthquake and flood damage in its standard policy. USAA also covers renters who decide to move abroad and offers additional discounts to those currently serving in the military.
Allstate is the second-best scorer in Santa Rosa and the best for non-USAA policyholders. The insurer received near-perfect affordability and financial stability scores. One of the unique coverages offered by this provider is identity protection coverage.
Allstate does not offer flood coverage in Santa Rosa. However, interested renters may purchase this coverage through an Allstate agent. Renters may also reduce the cost of their monthly premiums by removing off-premises theft coverage from their policy, although this would mean that renters won’t be reimbursed for items stolen from outside their homes.
The Average Cost of Renters Insurance in Santa Rosa for 2023
renters insurance is equal to the average.
The average cost of renters insurance in Santa Rosa is $233 per year or approximately $19 per month. This is $74 more per year than the national average of $159.
What Factors Impact Renters Insurance Costs in Santa Rosa?
Several factors determine the cost of renters insurance in Santa Rosa. the most impactful determinants include:
- Personal property coverage amount. While shopping around for the best renters insurance in Santa Rosa, your rates will vary depending on the coverage amount you choose. The more personal property coverage included in your policy, the more your policy will cost.
- Location. Renters insurance costs slightly vary depending on where you stay within the city, although there are other factors that have a greater impact on your rate. Areas with higher crime, wildfire and adverse weather conditions may feature higher premiums.
- Deductible. To have your claim processed, you will need to pay a certain amount out of pocket as the deductible. Policies with higher deductibles feature lower premiums since you will pay more out of pocket.
- Actual Cash Value (ACV) vs. Replacement Cost Value (RCV). ACV policies cost less because they will reimburse you for your item's depreciated value. Meanwhile, RCV policies will reimburse you the amount to replace your item with a new one. These policies cost more per month, but you’ll pay less out of pocket if you need to file a claim.
- Liability coverage amount. The amount of liability coverage included in your policy has very little impact on its total cost. You can add additional liability coverage — up to thousands of dollars more — for only a few extra dollars each year.
Calculate How Much Renters Insurance You Need
Does My Santa Rosa Neighborhood Impact Cost of Renters Insurance?
The amount you pay for renters insurance varies depending on your neighborhood. However, our research indicates that where you live only changes your monthly rate by a few dollars.
Understanding Renters Insurance in Santa Rosa
Renters insurance is a cheap way to safeguard your personal property against unexpected damage. While purchasing renters insurance in Santa Rosa is not required by law, MoneyGeek recommends purchasing a policy to protect your assets. Some landlords may also require it as part of the lease agreement.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in Santa Rosa?
While looking for the best cheap renters insurance in Santa Rosa, you should consider what coverages are included in your policy and if these coverages are adequate for your needs.
Generally, your policy will cover your items against theft, fires and other unexpected incidents that may damage your property. According to the FBI, Santa Rosa reported a property crime rate of 1,441 per 100,000 residents in 2019. While this is 24% below the national average, renters insurance can still protect you against possible thefts.
A standard renters insurance plan in Santa Rosa typically covers the following:
- Personal property coverage: A standard inclusion for renters insurance, this covers the items in your rented home from incidents like theft, vandalism, fires, plumbing issues, electrical malfunctions and harsh weather conditions.
- Additional living expenses: If you are unable to live in your damaged rental unit after a covered peril, this covers the cost of your temporary housing.
- Liability insurance: If a covered incident causes damage or injury to other people or their property, liability insurance helps with the incurred expenses.
- Medical payments coverage: This covers the cost of medical treatment if someone gets injured within your rented unit, regardless of who is at fault.
What Is Not Covered by Renters Insurance in Santa Rosa?
Although renters insurance covers most perils in Santa Rosa, it excludes certain situations. For instance, your policy will only cover personal property and exclude structural damage to your rental unit, which should be the responsibility of your landlord.
Standard renters insurance policies only cover certain types of water damage. For example, damage caused by floods will not be covered, but you can purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Unless your policy also includes your roommate as a policyholder, their belongings will not be covered against damages. Other uncovered incidents include damage caused by earthquakes and damage to valuable items such as gaming devices, jewelry, cars, and items whose value is higher than your policy limits. To have these insured, you’ll need additional coverage.
It’s important that you read through your policy before purchasing it to understand what it covers and what it doesn't.
Frequently Asked Questions About Renters Insurance in Santa Rosa
The best renters insurance company in Santa Rosa combines affordability and quality service. MoneyGeek responded to the commonly asked questions about renters insurance in the city to help you get started.
Renters Insurance in Santa Rosa Analysis: Methodology
Moneygeek analyzed hundreds of renters insurance quotes in Santa Rosa to help you find cheap renters insurance. The best renters insurance rankings were determined using data from J.D. Power, AM Best and our affordability metrics that are derived from a comprehensive analysis of quotes provided by Quadrant.
About Mark Fitzpatrick
- United States Department of Justice. "2019 Crime in the United States." Accessed June 7, 2022.