The Cheapest and Best Renters Insurance in San Antonio
The Companies With the Cheapest Renters Insurance in San Antonio
For most San Antonio renters, the cost of renters insurance is important, as insurance companies typically offer the same core coverages. Compare renters insurance quotes from multiple carriers to find the best policy. If you’re looking for affordable renters insurance, the cheapest companies in San Antonio are:
- Lemonade: $83 per year
- USAA: $83 per year (only available to current and former military members and their families)
USAA customers can get great value for their money because all its policies reimburse items at replacement cost and cover flood and earthquake damage.
MoneyGeek’s study used the prices of policies that offer $20,000 in personal property coverage, $100,000 in liability coverage and a deductible of $500. You can see how prices change by adjusting your personal property coverage limits in the table below.
Renters living elsewhere in the state can compare renters insurance for Texas as a whole.
Average Annual Rates for Personal Property Insurance
Personal Property Coverage:
Scroll for more
Compare Renters Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your renters insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
What Are the Best Renters Insurance Companies in San Antonio?
MoneyGeek’s study found that the best renters insurance companies in San Antonio are:
- Best Overall: Allstate
- Runner-up: Lemonade
USAA received the highest score in San Antonio by MoneyGeek's rating system. However, because USAA is only available to military members, veterans and their families, it is not listed as best overall.
These companies scored highly on MoneyGeek’s unique rating system incorporating affordability, customer satisfaction ratings from J.D. Power and financial stability ratings from AM Best. They also offer unique coverages that not all renters insurance companies provide.
USAA ranks consistently as one of the best and cheapest providers across the country and also offers a few unique coverages. Unlike most companies, its policies cover flood and earthquake damage. Current military members can get significant discounts from USAA, and they can continue to use this company’s services even if they are deployed abroad.
USAA serves only veterans, current military personnel and their families. It’s the best insurer in San Antonio because it got maximum scores in all categories, for a total of 100 out of 100.Read MoneyGeek's USAA renters Insurance Review
You can buy Allstate identity protection to monitor your digital footprint and cover the costs of identity theft. Your policy will not cover flood damage, but you can buy a flood policy through an Allstate agent. To save money, you can waive your off-premises theft coverage. However, items damaged or stolen outside your house will no longer be covered.
Allstate is the runner-up based on high scores across multiple categories and is the best choice for those not qualified for USAA policies.Read MoneyGeek's Allstate renters Insurance Review
The Average Cost of Renters Insurance in San Antonio for 2023
renters insurance is equal to the average.
The average cost of renters insurance in San Antonio is $129 per year or $11 a month. This rate is $30 less than the national average of $159.
What Factors Impact Renters Insurance Costs in San Antonio?
While many factors may impact your renters insurance cost, the following are the most important to the amount you will spend.
- Personal property coverage amount – Assess your property and valuables and determine the amount of coverage to buy. How much property you cover is a crucial factor in calculating your policy cost.
- Location – Crime is a factor, and rates can change by neighborhood, but your locality tends to have only a minor effect on cost.
- Deductible – The deductible is the fee you pay the insurer to process your claim. Plans with higher deductibles will have lower premiums. This is because you will pay more out of pocket if you file a claim.
- ACV vs. RCV – Your provider will reimburse your claim based on either the actual cash value (ACV) or the replacement cost value (RCV). ACV policies consider the cost based on the depreciated value of used items. Meanwhile, RCV policies reimburse the equal cost of a new item of the same type and quality — they do not consider the depreciated value of the damaged goods. Since RCV packages reimburse more for claims, they cost more than ACV.
- Liability coverage amount – Your coverage level will also impact the cost of your renters insurance. A standard plan has $100,000 in liability coverage, but you can add thousands more for only a few dollars per year.
Calculate How Much Renters Insurance You Need
Does My San Antonio Neighborhood Impact Cost of Renters Insurance?
Neighborhood locations only have a limited impact on renters insurance cost. Your residential locality will influence your premium by only a few dollars per month.
Understanding Renters Insurance in San Antonio
MoneyGeek strongly recommends buying rental insurance. It is a cost-efficient way to protect your valuables.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in San Antonio?
It’s important to perform an audit of your property so you can choose the right coverage for your needs when you shop for renters insurance in San Antonio.
San Antonio residents can shield themselves against theft with renters insurance. According to the FBI, San Antonio had a property crime rate of 3,825 per 100,000 people in 2019, which is 102% above the national average.
Rental home and apartment tenants in San Antonio may want renters insurance coverage for risks such as fires and water damage that can happen anywhere. Renters insurance carriers in the city typically provide policies that include:
- Personal property coverage – This covers the assets of your rented home from dangers like weather-related damages, electrical malfunctions, plumbing issues, theft, vandalism and fire.
- Additional living expenses – If your rented unit becomes too damaged to live in, this coverage will pay for the expenses of your temporary housing.
- Liability insurance – Get protection in case there is an accident in your rental property which causes injuries or damages to other people. Liability insurance can help with legal expenses and court judgment payments.
- Medical payments coverage – This feature will pay for medical treatment costs if someone gets injured in your rented home. It pays for coverage regardless of who is at fault.
What Is Not Covered by Renters Insurance in San Antonio?
Read the fine print of your renters insurance policy carefully to learn what it covers and excludes.
Standard renters insurance covers property but not the structure of the home. It is the owner’s responsibility to get insurance to protect the structure.
Most policies only cover certain water damage but not flooding. Renters can buy incremental insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Renters insurance does not cover roommates’ property, damage from earthquakes, vehicle damage or jewelry and other valuables that exceed policy limits.
Frequently Asked Questions About Renters Insurance in San Antonio
To help you find the best renters insurance in San Antonio, MoneyGeek answers frequently asked questions about providers and cost.
Renters Insurance in San Antonio Analysis: Methodology
MoneyGeek analyzed hundreds of renters insurance quotes in San Antonio to help you find cheap renters insurance. The best provider rankings were determined using data from AM Best, J.D. Power and our affordability metrics derived from a comprehensive analysis of quotes provided by Quadrant.
About Mark Fitzpatrick