The Cheapest and Best Renters Insurance in Fontana
The Companies With the Cheapest Renters Insurance in Fontana
Since most insurance companies offer similar core coverages, renters in Fontana should compare rates when choosing a policy. We advise you to compare renters insurance quotes from multiple providers to find the cheapest renters insurance that fits your needs.
Based on MoneyGeek’s research, the average consumer in Fontana will find the cheapest renters insurance policies from:
- Lemonade: $88 per year
- Allstate: $127 per year
These prices are for policies with $20,000 in personal property coverage and $100,000 in liability coverage with a $500 deductible. However, your premium may differ depending on your situation. See how your preferred personal property coverage changes your rate in the table below.
You can also compare renters insurance in California if you live elsewhere in the state.
Average Annual Rates for Personal Property Insurance
Personal Property Coverage:
Scroll for more
Compare Renters Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your renters insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
What Are the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Fontana?
MoneyGeek rated the best renters insurance in Fontana and determined that the top renters insurance companies in the city are:
- Best Overall: USAA (only available to eligible military personnel and their families)
- Runner-up: State Farm
MoneyGeek calculated these scores using a unique rating system that incorporates affordability, customer satisfaction ratings from J.D. Power and financial stability ratings from AM Best. In addition to being the top-scoring insurers, these companies offer coverages most renters insurance companies don’t provide.
USAA is MoneyGeek’s top pick due to its excellent scores across all categories, including a perfect score for customer satisfaction. But, only military personnel are eligible for its policies.
Consistently named one of the cheapest companies providing renters insurance across the country, USAA also has unique discounts and coverages. Policyholders who are on active duty get additional discounts that make policies even cheaper. Also, renters who need flood and earthquake coverage can save more since these are automatically included in all USAA policies.Read MoneyGeek's USAA renters Insurance Review
State Farm is our runner-up based on its high ratings across all categories. It’s the best option for those who aren’t eligible to purchase USAA policies.
State Farm consistently ranks as one of the cheapest renters insurance providers in the country. Policyholders can purchase earthquake insurance as an add-on, a good thing to have in earthquake-prone California. Renters with high-value items like jewelry can also easily increase their State Farm policy limits.Read MoneyGeek's State Farm renters Insurance Review
The Average Cost of Renters Insurance in Fontana for 2023
renters insurance is equal to the average.
In Fontana, the average cost of renters insurance for a policy with personal property coverage of $20,000, liability coverage of $100,000 and a deductible of $500 is $243 per year or $20 per month. This annual premium rate is $84 higher than the national average of $159 per year.
What Factors Impact Renters Insurance Costs in Fontana?
While several factors influence your renters insurance cost, the following have the most impact:
- Personal property coverage amount. This is the most important factor that insurers evaluate when calculating your premium. Make sure you choose a coverage limit that protects your personal belongings adequately.
- Location. The area you live in has a modest impact on the cost of your renters insurance. Neighborhoods with high crime rates and risk of severe weather may have slightly higher insurance rates.
- Deductible. You’ll have lower monthly premiums if you choose a policy with a higher deductible. The downside is you'll have to pay more out of pocket if you file a claim.
- ACV vs. RCV. Depending on your insurance policy, you may get reimbursements based on either your personal property’s actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost value (RCV). If you choose an ACV policy, your insurer will reimburse you based on the depreciated value of your belongings. On the other hand, if you have an RCV policy, your insurer will reimburse the cost of buying a new item that is similar in type and quality. RCV policies tend to be more expensive than ACV, but you’re guaranteed to receive more money if you file a claim.
- Liability coverage amount. Your chosen coverage limit will slightly affect your renters insurance premium. A standard policy has $100,000 in liability coverage, but you can add thousands in coverage for only a few dollars per year.
Calculate How Much Renters Insurance You Need
Does My Fontana Neighborhood Impact Cost of Renters Insurance?
The neighborhood you live in has a negligible effect on the cost of your premiums. Based on MoneyGeek’s study, your address will only impact the cost of your renters insurance in Fontana by a couple of dollars per month.
Understanding Renters Insurance in Fontana
The state of California, does not mandate renters insurance. However, some landlords may require you to buy it before allowing you to rent their property in Fontana. MoneyGeek strongly encourages you to purchase renters insurance as a cost-efficient way to protect your assets against any form of loss, theft or damage.
Your landlord’s insurance will not cover any damage to your personal property, which is why we highly recommend you buy your own renters insurance. Your policy will help you replace lost or damaged personal belongings in the event of a fire, burglary, severe weather or accident.
Generally, renters insurance in Fontana is very affordable and purchasing one will give you peace of mind knowing that you and your possessions are adequately protected.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in Fontana?
When buying renters insurance, make sure you select the right coverage to meet your needs.
A renters insurance policy is an affordable way for apartment and rental home residents in Fontana to ensure they are covered against expenses due to theft, as well as other risks, such as fire and water damage, which can happen to anyone at any time.
A renters insurance policy in Fontana typically includes the following standard components:
- Personal property coverage: Pays the cost of replacing your lost or damaged personal belongings, but only up to your coverage limit.
- Additional living expenses: Shoulders the cost of your temporary housing if your rented unit becomes uninhabitable due to a covered peril.
- Liability insurance: Pays the cost of repairs to another person’s property if you’re found responsible for the damage. It also covers legal expenses if you’re sued over an incident that occurred in your rental unit.
- Medical payments coverage: Covers other people’s medical-related expenses if you or a family member who lives with you accidentally injures another person.
What Is Not Covered by Renters Insurance in Fontana?
Renters insurance in Fontana covers your personal property but not the building’s structure, which is your landlord’s responsibility.
Most standard renters insurance policies cover certain types of water damage but generally exclude water damage due to flooding. Renters who need added protection against flood damage may buy affordable incremental insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Standard renters insurance excludes your roommate’s possessions, damage from earthquakes and damage to your car and other high-value items, such as jewelry, when it exceeds your policy limits.
Because not all renters policies are the same, you must read your policy carefully and make sure you understand all points before making your final purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions About Renters Insurance in Fontana
MoneyGeek has answered some of the most commonly asked questions to jumpstart your search for the best renters insurance in Fontana.
Renters Insurance in Fontana Analysis: Methodology
MoneyGeek analyzed hundreds of renters insurance quotes in Fontana to help you find cheap renters insurance. We determined the best renters insurance rankings using data from J.D. Power, AM Best and affordability metrics derived from a comprehensive analysis of quotes provided by Quadrant.
About Mark Fitzpatrick
- Insurance Information Institute. "Understanding Your InsuranceDeductibles." Accessed June 7, 2022.
- Lemonade. "Actual Cash Value." Accessed June 7, 2022.
- Nationwide. "California Renters Insurance." Accessed June 7, 2022.
- Allstate. "What Does Renters Insurance Cover?." Accessed June 8, 2022.
- Allstate. "What Is Renters Liability Insurance?." Accessed June 8, 2022.
- Allstate. "Does Renters Insurance Cover Medical Bills?." Accessed June 8, 2022.
- FEMA. "Flood Insurance." Accessed June 8, 2022.