The Hartford car insurance specializes in a wide array of insurance, benefits and investment services. The company’s financial stability is good, meaning that it can settle customer claims faster and more efficiently. It also has above-average customer satisfaction ratings and offers a broad range of discounts to AARP members or policyholders above the age of 50. However, if you’re younger or seeking coverage for multiple vehicles, you might want to shop around for car insurance to see if another company can better meet your needs.
Auto Insurance Review: The Hartford
The Hartford car insurance is an A-list insurer and one of the oldest insurance companies providing comprehensive car insurance coverage in all the states of the U.S. However, the company typically caters to drivers aged 50 and above and partners with AARP to provide special coverage to its members.
How Does The Hartford Auto Insurance Rate?
The Hartford ranks among the best car insurance companies in most third-party rating agencies, such as J.D. Power and the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Overall, the company receives fewer customer complaints compared to its size and may make a good option for drivers looking for a provider with solid financial stability.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to data provided by J.D. Power, The Hartford earns a score of 833 out of 1,000 on their customer satisfaction rating scale. The industry average is 835, so The Hartford is quite similar to a typical insurance company in this regard. J.D. Power's data also created these star ratings, allowing you to see how this company scores in several specific categories.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is a national regulatory body that provides insight into the number of public complaints filed against insurance providers each year. Each company is scored by measuring the complaint index relative to the national median, which is one. Scores above this figure mean that the company received more complaints than required. The Hartford insurance partners with AARP, which has a score customer complaint ratio of 0.28.
AM Best evaluated car insurance companies to assess their ability to meet financial obligations to customers. The Hartford insurance received an A+ rating from AM Best, which means its ability to pay out claims is superior.
The Hartford Insurance Features
The Hartford auto insurance offers standard coverage options with various add-ons and discounts to AARP members and non-members. For effective and prompt service, The Hartford provides customers with various support tools and pricing options.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsYou will need to provide information such as your ZIP code, age, marital status, and credit score to obtain a custom cost for your coverage using The Hartford calculator.
- Online Price QuotesTo get an estimate for your car insurance premium, visit the company website. You can also save and retrieve past quotes.
- Online Bill PayOnce you create an account, you can pay your bills online.
- Online ClaimsIf you get involved in an accident and don’t have The Hartford's customer service phone number, you can file and track your claims online.
- Mobile AppPay bills, view account details, request roadside assistance and manage claims through the mobile app.
The Hartford Auto Coverage
The Hartford auto insurance company has a range of basic car insurance policies, including medical payment, comprehensive, liability, and collision coverage. You can customize these policy options based on your budget and insurance needs.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionThis coverage is also available at various levels with deductibles ranging from $50 to $1,000.
- UninsuredYou can access an uninsured or underinsured bodily injury coverage quote online by choosing the level of injury you want coverage for.
- LiabilityAvailable in property damage liability or bodily injury liability. Property damage liability coverage is available starting at $25,000. Bodily injury liability covers state minimums and additional choices up to $1,000,000.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
The Hartford provides various add-on coverage options that you would typically find with other car insurance providers. You can customize your package to include one or more of these add-ons.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Roadside AssistanceAvailable at The Hartford as towing assistance for AARP members. You will be required to pay out of pocket for labor costs and repair costs that exceed your policy limit and must have comprehensive coverage to qualify for this package.
- Accident ForgivenessFirst accident forgiveness is available for drivers with the Advantage program.
- Auto Glass RepairThis benefit covers the full cost of the repair or replacement of your windows and windshield if they get damaged. Availability varies depending on the state.
- New CarThe Hartford replaces your new car if you total it within 15 months or the first 15,000 miles after purchase. The coverage gets you the same model without considering the depreciation factor.
Available Discounts on The Hartford Car Insurance Coverage
Insurance companies offer discounts to help customers save on premiums. According to The Hartford website, various car insurance discounts are offered to seniors over 50 years of age and AARP members.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Defensive DriverOnce you complete a defensive driving course and provide proof, you can enjoy the defensive driver discount at The Hartford for three years.
- Driver TrainingDrivers aged 21 and below who have completed a driver training course are eligible for a discount.
- Good StudentDrivers between the ages of 16 and 25 who are full-time students in high school or college can receive this discount if they have good grades.
- Anti TheftHaving active or passive anti-theft gadgets installed in your car can lower your premiums.
- Multi PolicyPolicyholders who combine car insurance with condo, renters or home insurance can save up to 20% on their insurance policies.
Other The Hartford Insurance Products
The Hartford offers several other insurance products at competitive rates. Bundling your car insurance with any of these products can mean big savings on your premiums.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceThe Hartford homeowners insurance covers damages to your home and personal property, temporary living expenses if your home is inhabitable and more.
- Renters InsuranceRenters insurance protects policyholders’ belongings from incidents such as fire, theft and storms. Coverage includes liability claims, living expenses, property damage and medical payments.
- Umbrella InsuranceOffers additional coverage for specific lawsuits and claims that exceed the limits of your existing insurance coverage.
- Condo InsuranceThis coverage protects you from personal property loss, personal liability and other expenses related to your condo. You can customize the coverage based on your needs and budget.
- Flood InsuranceWhile most insurers do not provide flood insurance, AARP flood insurance coverage from The Hartford provides customers with this option.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With The Hartford
If you are a policyholder, you can file a claim online through The Hartford’s website. You can also file a claim over the phone or through the mobile app, which allows you to document an accident and initiate the claim process.
Contact The Hartford Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author