Capital One Credit Card Reviews, Rules & Opinions
Capital One offers credit cards that appeal to many different types of consumers. MoneyGeek analyzed the best Capital One credit cards, their benefits and application process, to help you choose.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Capital One offers about 30 different credit cards; anyone looking for business rewards, travel rewards, a student credit card, or to rebuild their credit can find a Capital One card that suits them. You don’t need an excellent credit score to qualify for different Capital One cards — the issuer offers cards for applicants for every type of credit score, ranging from fair to excellent.
Capital One also offers co-branded credit cards with Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, West Elm, Bass Pro Shops and Walmart. If you enjoy shopping at these brands, you can reap great benefits from the best Capital One cards.
Featured Credit Cards Offered by Capital One
Capital One credit cards appeal to students, business owners, frequent shoppers, travelers or people with fair credit. For some Capital One credit cards, there is a $0 annual fee or a welcome bonus.
Other Cards Issued by Capital One
In addition to the featured cards listed above, Capital One also offers the following credit cards:
- Capital One CLUB Business Mastercard: For business owners who are CLUB members and are looking to earn CLUB points.
- Capital One Bass Pro Shops CLUB Card: For regular Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s shoppers looking to earn great reward points.
- Capital One Cabela’s CLUB Card: If you want to earn cash back on Bass Pro Shops or Cabela’s purchases, this is a great credit card for you.
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select: For business owners looking to earn bonus miles on business purchases.
- Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business: For business owners looking to build credit and earn cash back on everyday purchases.
- Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus - Good Credit: For business owners with a good credit score looking to earn cash back on business purchases.
- Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus - Excellent Credit: For business owners with an excellent credit score looking for cash back on business purchases and a welcome bonus.
- Capital One Key Rewards Visa: This card is the best option for you to earn cash back at a high rate across seven brands.
- Capital One West Elm Key Rewards Credit Card: For people who are looking to earn cash back at a high rate across seven brands and free standard shipping.
- Capital One Williams Sonoma Key Rewards Visa: For Williams Sonoma shoppers looking to earn cash back at that store and six other brands.
- Capital One Pottery Barn Key Rewards Visa: For Pottery Barn shoppers who want to earn cash back at the store and across six other brands, grocery store and restaurant purchases.
- Capital One Walmart Rewards® Mastercard®: For regular Walmart shoppers who want to earn cash back at a high rate.
- Capital One Platinum Secured: A secured credit card with no hidden fees.
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card: A luxury credit card for frequent travelers to earn great travel rewards and enjoy premium travel benefits, like lounge access.
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards for Good Credit: For travelers with good credit scores looking to earn miles on Capital One Travel purchases.
- Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card for Good Credit: For people with good credit scores to earn cash back on every purchase.
- Capital One Savor Rewards: For people looking to earn cash back on dining and entertainment services.
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card: The best option for earning cash back on dining and entertainment services with no annual fee.
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card for Good Credit: For people with good credit scores to earn cash back on dining and entertainment with no annual fee.
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students: For students to earn cash back on dining, entertainment services and grocery store purchases.
- Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students: For students looking to earn cash back on every type of purchase.
- Capital One Quicksilver Secured Cash Rewards Credit Card: A secured card with unlimited cash back on every type of purchase.
The Best Capital One Credit Cards in 2023
MoneyGeek analyzed the welcome bonuses, offers and other promotions to uncover the best Capital One credit cards in 2023 to help you find the option that fits your needs.
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
A great no-annual-fee card that comes with rewards
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 3% Cash Back*Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Entertainment
- 2xRewards Rate on Groceries
- Capital One Platinum Credit Card
A great card for fair credit with no annual fees
- Fair – GoodRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 3# of Reporting Bureaus
- 29.74% VariableAPR
- Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus
A great no-annual-fee business card with 1.5% cash back
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 1.5% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 1.5xRewards Rate on Gas
- 1.5xRewards Rate on Groceries
Rules for Applying, Acceptance & Welcome Bonuses
If you want to have better odds of approval for different Capital One cards, it’s best to consider the application rules, welcome bonus requirements and other details before applying.
Other Considerations About Capital One
MoneyGeek analyzed the following factors that you should consider before choosing a credit card from Capital One to help you make a better decision:
Customer Service & Satisfaction
Since you must contact a Capital One customer service representative for any issue with your credit card, it’s important to consider its customer service reputation.
A J.D. Power report shows that Capital One ranks third in customer satisfaction among national issuers, scoring 815.
Capital One offers a dedicated support channel for credit cards. You can contact customer service representatives through phone, mail or chat with Eno, Capital One’s digital assistant.
Mobile Apps & Online Services
Security & Credit Monitoring Services
Capital One offers CreditWise, allowing you to monitor your credit information and get alerts to changes without hurting your score. To protect you from online fraud, Capital One has security features like secure login, virtual card numbers, the ability to lock your card to prevent purchases and real-time alerts for suspicious transactions.
Loyalty Programs & Other Issuer Perks
With many Capital One cards, you can earn rewards on purchases. You can then redeem these rewards for anything you like by signing into your account online or using Capital One’s mobile banking app.
The rewards you earn with your card do not expire as long as your account stays active.
Capital One does not charge a fee for adding an authorized user to your account. After adding an authorized user, you can earn rewards on every purchase they make.
Overall Opinion of Capital One & Their Credit Card Offerings
Since Capital One offers credit cards for students, people who want to earn rewards or cash back, business owners and travelers, it’s a great option for anyone. You can earn great rewards on daily purchases, even with fair credit. Capital One also offers rewards for individuals looking to rebuild their credit score. With all these features, Capital One cards are a good option if:
You want to earn rewards for everyday shopping and at different brands
Capital One offers many co-branded cards: Cabela’s, West Elm, Pottery Barn, Walmart, and more.
You want to enjoy a hefty welcome bonus and multiple redemption options
Almost all Capital One cards offer great welcome bonuses and rewards, which you can redeem for cash, gift cards, to cover a purchase or in other ways.
"Capital One offers a variety of cards that fit the lifestyle of a consumer or small business owner. You can grow with Capital One to receive more appealing cards as your credit and finances improve."
- Lee Huffman, credit card expert at BaldThoughts.com
Still Not Sure About This Issuer? Consider These Options.
While different Capital One cards offer great offers and rewards, you can also look over the best rewards credit cards.
Learn More About Credit Cards in General
About the Author
- Capital One. "Credit Card Benefits." Accessed January 13, 2022.
- Capital One. "Credit Cards Rewards." Accessed January 13, 2022.
- Capital One. "Fraud Protection." Accessed January 13, 2022.
- J.D. Power. "Retail Banks Face Major Customer Satisfaction Challenge as World Shifts to Digital-Only Engagement, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed January 13, 2022.
- J.D. Power. "U.S. Retail Banks Nail Transition to Digital during Pandemic, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed January 13, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more aboutour editorial policies andexpert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.