The Cheapest and Best Renters Insurance in San Bernardino
The Companies With the Cheapest Renters Insurance in San Bernardino
Since most insurers offer similar core coverages, San Bernardino tenants should shop around for the best rate by comparing quotes from multiple companies. According to MoneyGeek's analysis, these two offer the cheapest renters insurance in San Bernardino for the average consumer:
- Lemonade: $88 per year
- Allstate: $127 per year
The rates used in this study are based on policies with $20,000 in personal property coverage, $100,000 in liability coverage and a $500 deductible. However, your actual expenses will vary. See below how rates vary depending on your personal property coverage limits.
Renters living in elsewhere in California can also compare the state's renters insurance policies.
Average Annual Rates for Personal Property Insurance
Personal Property Coverage:
Scroll for more
Compare Renters Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your renters insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
What Are the Best Renters Insurance Companies in San Bernardino?
MoneyGeek ranked the best renters insurance providers in San Bernardino and identified the following companies as the best overall:
- Best Overall: USAA (exclusive to current and former military personnel)
- Runner-up: State Farm
MoneyGeek calculated the final scores using a unique grading methodology that took into account affordability, customer satisfaction ratings from J.D. Power and financial stability ratings from AM Best. Furthermore, we observed that some companies provide coverages that other providers do not.
USAA is our top pick since it excels in all categories, including customer satisfaction, which received a perfect score. However, the company's policies are only available to active and retired military people and their families.
USAA is consistently one of the cheapest insurers in the United States, providing its policyholders with distinctive coverages. Unlike other companies' plans, USAA's renters insurance covers flood and earthquake damage. All USAA plans compensate you at replacement cost, ensuring that you get items of comparable quality to those you lost.Read MoneyGeek's USAA renters Insurance Review
State Farm is the best option for the average San Bernardino renter who doesn't qualify for USAA's policies. It ranks high across multiple categories.
State Farm is consistently rated as one of the country's best and cheapest renters insurance providers. For $25 per year, you can add identity restoration coverage to your State Farm renters insurance to cover the expenses incurred following identity theft. If you reside in an earthquake-prone location, State Farm may provide earthquake insurance.Read MoneyGeek's State Farm renters Insurance Review
The Average Cost of Renters Insurance in San Bernardino for 2023
renters insurance is equal to the average.
The average cost of renters insurance in San Bernardino is $245 per year or approximately $20 per month. This is $86 higher than the national average cost of renters insurance, which is $159 per year.
What Factors Impact Renters Insurance Costs in San Bernardino?
Many factors influence the cost of renters insurance, but the following affect it the most:
- Personal property coverage amount. While looking for the best renters insurance in San Bernardino, consider the amount of personal property coverage you'll need. The coverage level of the property is one of the most important variables that determine the cost of a policy.
- Location within a city. Where you live is crucial since rates tend to be higher in areas with a greater risk of crime, wildfire damage and extreme weather conditions. A higher crime rate in your area will have a minimal impact on your premiums.
- Deductible. Before the insurer processes your claim, you must pay your deductible. You'll save money on your insurance costs for a policy with a higher deductible. A policy with a smaller deductible is more expensive since the insurer must pay more for coverage.
- ACV vs. RCV. An ACV (actual cash value) insurance considers the depreciation of your items over time, thereby causing older items to receive less coverage. However, you will be compensated for a similar, brand-new replacement item if you have RCV (replacement cost value) coverage. ACV policies are less costly since they pay less per claim. RCV policies cost high, but they also come with a higher claim payout.
- Liability coverage amount. The quantity of liability coverage you have will slightly influence your renters insurance price. Standard liability coverage is $100,000, but for a few dollars extra each year, you may add thousands more in coverage.
Calculate How Much Renters Insurance You Need
Does My San Bernardino Neighborhood Impact Cost of Renters Insurance?
Contrary to other types of insurance, your neighborhood does not determine the cost of renters insurance in San Bernardino. According to a MoneyGeek study, your neighborhood only affects your monthly rates by a few dollars.
Understanding Renters Insurance in San Bernardino
You may not be obliged by law to have renters insurance as a renter in San Bernardino. MoneyGeek, on the other hand, highly recommends acquiring sufficient insurance coverage to safeguard your possessions from theft or damage. Furthermore, some landlords may demand renters insurance when renting out their homes.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in San Bernardino?
Those looking for renters insurance in San Bernardino, California, must ensure that their policies have adequate coverage. Saving money while insuring against theft and other unanticipated disasters is a prudent option. According to the FBI, San Bernadino had 3,231 property crimes per 100,000 residents in 2019. This is 71% higher than the national average.
Fire and water damage can happen anywhere. Therefore San Bernardino renters can also purchase additional insurance to cover these other risks. In general, insurance providers in San Bernardino offer renters insurance policies that include protection for the following risks:
- Personal property coverage: This protects the belongings of your rented home against risks such as fire, theft, vandalism, electrical failures, plumbing problems and weather-related damages.
- Additional living expenses: After a covered peril, if your rental apartment may become uninhabitable, additional living expenses coverage will cover the costs of your temporary lodging.
- Liability insurance: If an accident occurs on your rental property and damages or injures someone else, liability insurance will cover you. It also pays for the legal fees and associated court fees.
- Medical payments coverage: If someone suffers injuries on your rental property, medical payments coverage can pay for related medical expenditures, regardless of who is at fault.
What Is Not Covered by Renters Insurance in San Bernardino?
Renters insurance in San Bernardino protects your personal belongings, but not the structure of the building. That is the owner's responsibility and homeowners insurance may cover it. However, there are also other risks that renters insurance does not cover. To be on the safe side, you may consider purchasing supplemental insurance.
Renters insurance, for example, covers certain water damage. Most ordinary plans do not cover water damage caused by flooding. You can purchase additional flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) if you think your rental home is susceptible to flood damage.
Most renters insurance plans also exclude your roommates' belongings, earthquake damage, automobile damage, jewelry and valuable items that exceed the policy's limitations. With a variety of policies out there, not all are alike. We recommend thoroughly reviewing the policy before making a final decision on your purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions About Renters Insurance in San Bernardino
Renters who want the best renters insurance in San Bernardino should choose a company that offers a good balance between price and customer experience. Here are some commonly asked questions by residents of San Bernardino about renters insurance.
Renters Insurance in San Bernardino Analysis: Methodology
MoneyGeek analyzed hundreds of renters insurance quotes in San Bernardino to help you find cheap renters insurance. The best renters insurance rankings were determined using data from J.D. Power, AM Best, and our affordability metrics that derived from a comprehensive analysis of quotes provided by Quadrant.
About Mark Fitzpatrick
- United States Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. "Crime in the United States, 2019." Accessed June 23, 2022.