The Cheapest and Best Renters Insurance in Manchester
The Companies With the Cheapest Renters Insurance in Manchester
An important consideration when shopping for renters insurance is cost. Renters in Manchester can find the cheapest renters insurance companies by shopping around and comparing various renters insurance quotes. Based on our research, the following companies offer the cheapest renters insurance in the city:
- USAA: $68 per year
- MetLife: $82 per year
The cost of the above policies include $20,000 in personal property coverage limits, $100,000 in liability coverage limits and a deductible of $500. You can see how your rate will change by adjusting the personal property coverage limits in the table below.
New Hampshire renters living outside Manchester can also compare renters insurance in New Hampshire as a whole.
Average Annual Rates for Personal Property Insurance
Personal Property Coverage:
Scroll for more
Compare Renters Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your renters insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
What Are the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Manchester?
MoneyGeek found that the following companies offer the best renters insurance in Manchester:
- Best Overall: USAA (only available for current and former military members)
- Runner-up: Amica Mutual
MoneyGeek ranked companies based on our unique rating system which evaluated companies based on their affordability, customer satisfaction rating from J.D. Power and financial stability rating from AM Best. According to our analysis, these two renters insurance companies also offer unique coverages that are rarely offered by other providers.
USAA policies received perfect ratings across all categories including affordability and customer satisfaction. However, policies are only offered to military members and their families.
USAA consistently ranks first in all categories and provides unique benefits to current and former military personnel and their families. Overall, it provides one of the most affordable policies, not only in Manchester, but throughout the country. Individuals that are actively serving in the military are also eligible for additional discounts, making their policies ever cheaper.Read MoneyGeek's USAA renters Insurance Review
Amica Mutual received the second-highest score across numerous categories, making it the best renters insurance in Fargo for those who are not eligible for USAA. The insurer offers identity fraud protection as an add-on coverage option.
Amica Mutual is also consistently among the cheapest options for renters insurance across the country. This provider adds identity fraud protection to cover fraud expenses like credit card usage. In addition to claims-free and AutoPay discounts, renters who stick with Amica Mutual can receive loyalty discounts.Read MoneyGeek's Amica Mutual renters Insurance Review
The Average Cost of Renters Insurance in Manchester for 2023
renters insurance is equal to the average.
On average, the cost of renters insurance in Manchester is $100 per year or around $8 per month. This is $59 cheaper than the national average of $159 per year.
What Factors Impact Renters Insurance Costs in Manchester?
The cost of renters insurance varies depending on several factors. Below are the factors that have the most significant impact on your rates.
- Personal property coverage amount. The personal property coverage is the amount of protection you require for your rented property. This has the greatest impact on the cost of your renters insurance — the more personal property you own, the more you’ll pay for renters insurance.
- Location. Crime and theft rates in a specific location only slightly impact the cost of renters insurance in Manchester. Those renting in crime-prone areas will pay slightly more than others.
- Deductible. Higher deductibles mean lower monthly premiums. However, you’ll pay more out of pocket when you file a claim.
- ACV vs. RCV. With actual cash value (ACV) policies, you’ll be reimbursed for the item’s depreciated value. On the other hand, replacement cost value (RCV) reimburses the cost of replacing a damaged item with a similar item at its present value, not factoring in depreciation. When choosing a policy, RCV is the more expensive type of reimbursement as it pays more for claims.
- Liability coverage amount. Liability coverage is usually around $100,000. Increasing your liability coverage limits only costs a few additional dollars per year.
Calculate How Much Renters Insurance You Need
Does My Manchester Neighborhood Impact Cost of Renters Insurance?
Renters insurance rates only differ slightly between neighborhoods. MoneyGeek’s study found that for different neighborhoods in Manchester, the cost of renters insurance varies by only a few dollars per month.
Understanding Renters Insurance in Manchester
Though renters insurance is not a legal requirement in Manchester, your landlord may request that you purchase a policy. Regardless, MoneyGeek strongly recommends purchasing renters insurance as an easy way to safeguard your assets and personal possessions.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in Manchester?
Having renters insurance means your assets are protected against theft and other unexpected damages for an affordable cost. When shopping for renters insurance, you want to make sure that you purchase the coverage that you need. According to the FBI, Manchester has a property crime rate of 2,236 per 100,000 people in 2019, which is 18% above the national average. Manchester residents can protect themselves against the higher than average incidence of theft by purchasing renters insurance.
As renters in Manchester, you may need to get additional coverage or increase your limits against perils like fire and water damage based on where you live. The following coverages are included in a standard policy:
- Personal property coverage: This protects the contents of your rented home against perils like fire, vandalism, theft, plumbing issues, electrical malfunctions and some weather-related damages.
- Additional living expenses: This reimburses you with the amount it costs to live in temporary housing if your home is temporarily unavailable due to a covered peril.
- Liability insurance: This protects you against damages or injuries to other people that occurred inside your rented property. It also protects you against lawsuits by covering legal expenses and court judgment payments.
- Medical payments coverage: Regardless of who is at fault in an accident, this type of coverage pays for medical expenses related to an injury that happened on your rented property.
What Is Not Covered by Renters Insurance in Manchester?
Purchasing a renters insurance policy in Manchester is an affordable way to protect your personal belongings. However, certain perils that could cause structural damage to your rented property may not be covered. Hence, you may need to purchase additional coverage.
If you live in an area that is prone to flooding, for example, you may need to add water damage coverage to your policy. The National Flood Insurance Program allows renters to purchase additional insurance (NFIP).
Aside from flood and earthquake damage, renters insurance policies do not cover your roommates’ possessions, damages to your car, jewelry and other items whose value exceeds the policy limits. It’s important that you’re aware of your policy’s limits before completing a purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions About Renters Insurance in Manchester
MoneyGeek answers some of the most common questions about renters insurance in Manchester.
Renters Insurance in Manchester Analysis: Methodology
Moneygeek analyzed hundreds of renters insurance quotes in Manchester to help you find cheap renters insurance. The best renters insurance rankings were determined using data from J.D. Power, AM Best and our affordability metrics that are derived from a comprehensive analysis of quotes provided by Quadrant.
About Mark Fitzpatrick
- United States Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. "Crime in the United States, 2019." Accessed June 10, 2022.