The average cost of renters insurance in Corpus Christi, Texas, is $156 annually or $13 monthly. The cheapest renters insurance in Corpus Christi, Allstate, costs $6 per month on average, while State Farm, the most expensive, costs roughly $19 per month. This means that renters can save up to $13 monthly by shopping around. To help you find the best combination of cost and quality, MoneyGeek ranked the best renters insurance companies in Corpus Christi.
The Best and Cheapest Renters Insurance in Corpus Christi, TX for 2022: Rankings, Reviews and Rates
The Cheapest and Best Renters Insurance in Corpus Christi
The Companies With the Cheapest Renters Insurance in Corpus Christi
Cost is an important factor when picking the best renters insurance in Corpus Christi since most companies offer similar coverage. To find the best option, it is important to compare renters insurance quotes.
For the average consumer, the cheapest renters insurance companies in Corpus Christi are:
- Allstate: $68 per year
- USAA: $103 per year (only available for current and former military members)
MoneyGeek based its analysis on policies with $20,000 in personal property coverage, $100,000 in liability coverage and a deductible of $500. Your actual costs may differ. You can use the table below to check the actual cost by adjusting the personal property coverage limits.
If you live in other parts of Texas outside of Corpus Christi, you can compare renters insurance rates for Texas as a whole.
Average Annual Rates for Personal Property Insurance
Personal Property Coverage:
Scroll for more
What Are the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Corpus Christi?
Based on MoneyGeek’s analysis, the best renters insurance companies in Corpus Christi are:
- Best Overall: Allstate
- Runner-up: Amica Mutual
USAA received the highest score in Corpus Christi by MoneyGeek's rating system. However, because USAA is only available to military members, veterans and their families, it is not listed as best overall.
These companies had the highest scores on MoneyGeek’s unique rating system. Our analysis incorporates affordability, customer satisfaction ratings from J.D. Power and financial stability ratings from AM Best. MoneyGeek also found that the best renters insurance companies offer unique coverages that set them apart from other companies.
USAA is consistently one of the cheapest insurance options across the country. Since it also provides unique coverage benefits, this company offers the best combination of value and quality for renters in Corpus Christi. USAA policies cover flood and earthquake damage, which other insurers do not. This renters policy also provides reimbursement at replacement cost, meaning you can get the same quality of items that you lost.
USAA scored the highest across all categories. However, USAA is only available to current and former military members and their families.
Allstate renters policies offer unique coverages, including protection from identity theft. To make your premiums even more affordable, Allstate gives you the option of waiving your off-premises theft coverage. You also get the option to purchase flood damage insurance through an Allstate agent.
Allstate had high scores in affordability and customer satisfaction, putting it in second place.
The Average Cost of Renters Insurance in Corpus Christi for 2021
renters insurance is equal to the average.
The average cost of renters insurance in Corpus Christi is $156 per year. Compared to the national average, which is $159 per year, renters insurance in Corpus Christi is cheaper by an average of $3.
What Factors Impact Renters Insurance Costs in Corpus Christi?
While there are several factors that impact your renters insurance cost, the following are the most impactful to the premiums you will pay for renters insurance in Corpus Christi.
- Personal property coverage amount – The coverage amount you want to purchase is a key factor in determining the cost of renters insurance. The higher the coverage amount is, the higher the cost that you will need to pay for your renters policy.
- Location – Your neighborhood will have some impact on the cost of your renters insurance. If you live in a Corpus Christi neighborhood with a high crime rate, you are likely to pay slightly higher premiums. However, location does not alter the cost of renters insurance significantly.
- Deductible – The out-of-pocket fee that you pay when filing a claim is the deductible. If you select a high deductible, the cost of your renters insurance will be low. However, if your deductible is low, the cost of your renters insurance will be higher.
- Actual Cash Value (ACV) vs. Replacement Cost Value (RCV) – RCV policies pay more because they do not factor in depreciation of the item over time. This makes RCV policies more costly compared to ACV policies. An ACV policy is cheaper because it factors in the depreciation of your property’s value over time and pays you less.
- Liability coverage amount – Your liability coverage amount has a minimal effect on the cost of your renters insurance. You can purchase a higher liability coverage by paying a few extra dollars a year.
Calculate How Much Renters Insurance You Need
Does My Corpus Christi Neighborhood Impact Cost of Renters Insurance?
MoneyGeek found that the neighborhood where you live in Corpus Christi will only affect the renters insurance cost by a couple of dollars per month. Although location is one of the factors that affect the cost of renters insurance, its impact is only marginal.
Understanding Renters Insurance in Corpus Christi
When picking the best renters insurance in Corpus Christi, ensure that you pick a policy with adequate coverage for the assets you want to insure. Renters face various risks, including fire damage, theft and other unexpected events that could lead to property loss.
MoneyGeek strongly recommends purchasing renters insurance. The average cost of renters insurance in Corpus Christi is $156 per year. This means that with renters insurance, you can protect your assets at a cost of just $13 a month.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in Corpus Christi?
According to FBI statistics, Corpus Christi had a property crime rate of 3175 per 100,000 people in 2019, which is 68% above the national average. In the event of property loss due to crimes like burglary, renters insurance protects your assets by reimbursing for any losses incurred.
Other common risks for renters in Corpus Christi, including water damage and fire, are also covered by renters insurance. Renters insurance in Corpus Christi covers the following:
- Personal property – The assets in your home are covered under your renters insurance policy. If you lose your property or suffer damage to your property, the insurer will reimburse you for your lost items. Your renters insurance protects you against risks such as fire damage, burglary and certain types of water damage.
- Additional living expenses – Some risks can make your home unfit for habitation. When this happens, your renters insurance will reimburse the additional expenses of finding alternative housing.
- Liability insurance – If someone gets injured on your property, they can sue you for damages. Renters insurance provides liability coverage that covers you against lawsuits. The renters policy will settle legal fees and other expenses incurred to settle lawsuits against you.
- Medical payments coverage – In cases where someone sustains injuries on your property, your renters insurance policy will cover the medical costs incurred.
What Is Not Covered by Renters Insurance in Corpus Christi?
Renters insurance comes with certain exclusions that are not covered. It is important to understand the terms of your policy to ensure you get the best renters insurance for your needs.
While your renters insurance covers the property inside your home, it does not cover the structure itself. Your landlord should have separate insurance for the structure.
Most renters insurance policies won’t cover property damage due to flooding. If you want this kind of coverage, you can consider purchasing flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). USAA is the only renters insurance that offers flood protection.
Renters insurance does not cover damage to your car, jewelry or other valuables that may exceed the policy limit. Earthquake damage is also not covered by your renters insurance, and damage to a roommate's property is not reimbursed in the event of a loss.
Always read your renters insurance policy carefully to understand all the exclusions that apply. This can help you ensure you get the right policy for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Renters Insurance in Corpus Christi
If you are looking for the best renters insurance in Corpus Christi, it is important to compare quotes and coverage features from different companies.
Some of the most commonly asked questions about renters insurance in Corpus Christi include:
Renters Insurance in Corpus Christi Analysis: Methodology
MoneyGeek analyzed hundreds of renters insurance quotes in Corpus Christi to help you find cheap renters insurance. The best renters insurance rankings were determined using data from JD Power, A.M. Best and our affordability metrics that are derived from a comprehensive analysis of quotes provided by Quadrant.
About the Author
- United States Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. "Crime in the United States, 2019." Accessed April 13, 2021.