The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
A simple cash back card that’s best for everyday purchases
- 1–3% Cash Back*Rewards Rate
- 19.24% – 29.99% VariableAPR
- $0Annual Fee
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
MoneyGeek's credit card review process involves six meticulous steps that consider factors like interest rates, fees and bonus rewards. We look beyond the credit card's information and compare it to standardized data points used against other cards. Then, MoneyGeek considers bonus offers to establish the overall value of the card. Finally, we conduct a re-rank each month to factor in changes in the card's details and welcome offers.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is a simple card best used for everyday expenses. It offers a 3% cash back rate at U.S. supermarkets with a limit of up to $6,000 per year, then 1% back after. The Everyday Card also offers 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select department stores.
On all other purchases, shoppers can enjoy a 1% cash back rate. The card features a 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months, then a variable APR of 19.24% – 29.99% after and you earn up to $200 back by spending $2,000 on purchases in your first six months to receive $200 as a statement credit.
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express Overview
Any smart shopper can benefit from the Blue Cash Everyday© Card from American Express's practical cash back rewards. Paired with an attractive welcome offer, this card may be ideal for individuals who spend a moderate amount at U.S. supermarkets and U.S. gas stations.
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 in purchases, then 1% cash back
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- 0% intro APR for the first 15 months from account opening, then a variable APR of 19.24% – 29.99% after
- Earn up to $200 back by spending $2,000 on purchases in your first six months to receive $200 as a statement credit
Important Card Details
Before signing up for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card, it’s important to read and understand all the fees involved. Ensure you’re aware of all the provisions, including the regular APR and penalty fees for late payments, to arrive at the right choice.
Cash Back Reward Rate
Cardholders can receive a 3% cash back rate at U.S. supermarkets on the first $6,000 they spend annually, followed by 1% back. A 3% rate applies at U.S. gas stations and select department stores on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), with a 1% cash back rate on all other purchases.
Introductory and Regular APR
For the first 15 months after opening an account, you can enjoy an introductory 0% APR. After this period ends, a variable APR of 19.24% – 29.99% applies. The APR will depend on your creditworthiness and other factors at the time of account opening.
APR and Fees for Cash Advances
For cash advances, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express has a 29.99% APR, along with a fee of $10 or 5% — whichever is greater. For example, it will cost $21.91 to borrow $500 if you pay it back within 20 days.
If you make one or more late payments or a payment is returned, American Express will apply a 29.99% penalty APR to your account. This rate will last for at least six months and apply until you have consistently made timely minimum payments that are not returned for another six months.
Foreign Transaction Fees
Any item purchased abroad will be charged a 2.7% fee. If you buy an item worth $1,000 somewhere that isn’t on American soil, you will pay an additional $27.
Taking advantage of the card’s benefits is easy, but the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers more than practical rewards. Cardholders can benefit from its features and programs in the long term.
- Split Big Expenses: Through the Plan It® program, you can take expenses of over $100 and split them into monthly payments with a fixed, up-front fee.
- Quickly Lower Your Balance: Through the Pay It® program, you can make contributions under $100 throughout the month to lower your balance and quickly pay for small purchases like groceries or gas.
- Purchase Protection: If you purchase an item and it gets lost or damaged within the first 120 days, cardholders may receive up to $1,000 of reimbursement per purchase at a limit of $50,000 per year.
- Presale Ticket Access: American Express cardholders receive access to presale tickets, including unique virtual experiences through Amex UNSTAGED and other events.
- 24/7 Customer Service: If you encounter a problem or have a question, American Express is well-known for its stellar customer service. They ranked the highest in the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, which indicates how they provide great after-sales services and overall services.
How the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express Compares To Other Cards
Depending on your needs, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express may not be your most ideal choice. The Everyday Card’s moderate offers compare unfavorably to other cards with cash back offers for groceries and other categories. Compare the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express against other similar credit cards, like the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card, for a clearer picture of its benefits.
How the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express Compares
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Variable APR: 19.24% – 29.99%
- Cash Back Reward Rate: 3% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000, then 1%; 2% at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores; 1% on all other purchases
- Annual Fee: None
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7%
- Mini Verdict: Best for deal-seekers and smart savers who spend moderately
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Variable APR: 19.99% – 29.99%
- Cash Back Reward Rate: Unlimited 1.5% back on all eligible purchases
- Annual Fee: None
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Mini Verdict: Best for smart savers who want to save in every category
Frequently Asked Questions
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.