The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is a simple card best used for everyday expenses. It offers a 3% cash back rate at U.S. supermarkets with a limit of up to $6,000 per year, then 1% back after. The Everyday Card also offers 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select department stores.
On all other purchases, shoppers can enjoy a 1% cash back rate. The card features a 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months, then a variable APR of 18.99% – 29.99% after and you earn up to $200 back by spending $2,000 on purchases in your first six months to receive $200 as a statement credit.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express at a Glance
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, great for grocery shoppers and frequent drivers, offers competitive cash back rates for essential expenses.
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
A simple cash back card that’s best for everyday purchases
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 1–3% Cash Back*Rewards Rate
- 1xRewards Rate on Gas
- 1xRewards Rate on Groceries
Pros & Cons Explained
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers rewards in practical spending categories but also comes with a few downsides to consider.
- Cash Back From Practical CategoriesEarn 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets for up to $6,000 annually, then 1% cash back after. Cardholders also receive 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores. If you spent $4,000 annually at supermarkets and $600 at the gas station in a year, you would earn $132 cash back.
- Long 0% Intro APRThe Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers an attractive 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months from account opening, which is longer than the usual 12 months for most cash back cards, then a variable APR of 18.99% – 29.99% after.
- No Annual FeesUnlike other cash back cards, you don’t need to pay any annual fees for the life of the card, which allows you to save more every year.
- Capped EarningsYou will see limited rewards on grocery spend above $6,000.
- Limited Supermarket ChoicesAmerican Express does not consider warehouse stores like Target and Walmart as supermarkets.
- Foreign Transaction FeesThe 2.7% foreign transaction fee makes this card not ideal for international travel.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express does not top our rankings of cash back cards. Take a look at our list of the best cash back cards to find one that may better suit your needs.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Any smart shopper can benefit from the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express's practical cash back rewards. Paired with an attractive welcome offer, this card may be ideal for individuals who spend a moderate amount at U.S. supermarkets and U.S gas stations.
Cash Back Reward Rate
This card features a 3% cash back rate at U.S. supermarkets, which applies to the first $6,000 annually. After reaching $6,000, it lowers to 1%. You can also earn 2% back from U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, along with 1% on other purchases. To redeem your rewards, you must have at least $25 in reward dollars.
On the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, within the first six months of account opening, cardholders can earn up to $200 back as a statement credit when they spend $2,000 in purchases.
Introductory 0% APR
For the first 15 months from account opening, you can benefit from an introductory 0% APR. A 0% APR allows you to finance expensive purchases over time without racking up interest, then a variable APR of 18.99% – 29.99% after.
Complimentary ShopRunner Membership
Eligible cardholders receive a complimentary two-day free shipping benefit valued at $79 per year, which includes quick shipping and free returns from more than 140 online retailers, such as Bloomingdale’s, Saks Fifth Avenue and more.
Other Features Explained
Taking advantage of the card’s benefits is easy, but the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers more than practical rewards. Cardholders can benefit from its features and programs in the long term.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Split Big ExpensesThrough the Plan It® program, you can take expenses of over $100 and split them into monthly payments with a fixed, up-front fee.
- Quickly Lower Your BalanceThrough the Pay It® program, you can make contributions under $100 throughout the month to lower your balance and quickly pay for small purchases like groceries or gas.
- Purchase ProtectionIf you purchase an item and it gets lost or damaged within the first 120 days, cardholders may receive up to $1,000 of reimbursement per purchase at a limit of $50,000 per year.
"Use this card for your Paypal purchases as it currently offers 20% cash back in the first 6 months of card membership. This offer is good for up to $150 cash back." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Before signing up for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card, it’s important to read and understand all the fees involved. Ensure you’re aware of all the provisions, including the regular APR and penalty fees for late payments, to arrive at the right choice.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR18.99% – 29.99% Variable
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–3% Cash Back*
- Airline Benefits
Cash Back Reward Rate
Cardholders can receive a 3% cash back rate at U.S. supermarkets on the first $6,000 they spend annually, followed by 1% back. A 3% rate applies at U.S. gas stations and select department stores on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), with a 1% cash back rate on all other purchases.
Introductory and Regular APR
For the first 15 months after opening an account, you can enjoy an introductory 0% APR. After this period ends, a variable APR of 18.99% – 29.99% applies. The APR will depend on your creditworthiness and other factors at the time of account opening.
APR and Fees for Cash Advances
For cash advances, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express has a 29.99% APR, along with a fee of $10 or 5% — whichever is greater. For example, it will cost $21.91 to borrow $500 if you pay it back within 20 days.
If you make one or more late payments or a payment is returned, American Express will apply a 29.99% penalty APR to your account. This rate will last for at least six months and apply until you have consistently made timely minimum payments that are not returned for another six months.
Foreign Transaction Fees
Any item purchased abroad will be charged a 2.7% fee. If you buy an item worth $1,000 somewhere that isn’t on American soil, you will pay an additional $27.
To compare the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express with other cards, look at the cash back rate and the categories it applies to. You can find this information on your monthly billing statement, the card issuer’s mobile app, or the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express?
Other Considerations for Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Moderate spenders who want to save on daily expenses may want to opt for the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express. An evaluation of your financial situation should dictate what works best for your unique needs.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
Having the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express as the only card in your wallet limits your cash back opportunities — you’ll only get them at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores. The cap to the 3% back at U.S. supermarkets is also disadvantageous for big spenders.
American Express requires an excellent credit score to qualify for the card, which may be difficult for some. However, if you're a moderate spender who plans to use this card as a means to save money, it may offer an ideal opportunity.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express can be a great addition to your wallet for cash back on groceries and gas bills. Pairing the card with a flat-rate cash back rewards card, like the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card's flat 1.5% back rate on eligible purchases, can help you save more on other expenses and avoid having to keep track of bonus categories.
MoneyGeek’s credit card review process involves six meticulous steps that consider factors like interest rates, fees and bonus rewards. We look beyond the credit card’s information and compare it to standardized data points used against other cards. Then, MoneyGeek considers bonus offers to establish the overall value of the card. Finally, we conduct a re-rank each month to factor in changes in the card’s details and welcome offers.
How Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express Compares to Other Cards
Depending on your needs, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express may not be your most ideal choice. The Everyday Card’s moderate offers compare unfavorably to other cards with cash back offers for groceries and other categories. Compare the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express against other similar credit cards, like the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card, for a clearer picture of its benefits.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
Quick Comparison of Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Variable APR: 18.99% – 29.99%
- Cash Back Reward Rate: 3% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000, then 1%; 2% at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores; 1% on all other purchases
- Annual Fee: None
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7%
- Mini Verdict: Best for deal-seekers and smart savers who spend moderately
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Variable APR: 19.74% – 29.74%
- Cash Back Reward Rate: Unlimited 1.5% back on all eligible purchases
- Annual Fee: None
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Mini Verdict: Best for smart savers who want to save in every category
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Determining if you need the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express requires a careful evaluation of your financial situation. Make sure to understand all the fees and requirements involved with the card before applying. Prospective cardholders can consider the following frequently asked questions to help with their decision.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers a long 0% APR introductory period and cash back opportunities on gas and grocery purchases. If you aren’t convinced by the practical uses of the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, take a look at other cards and their rewards. You may find that a travel card or general rewards card may suit your financial situation and offer more savings.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Retail Categories." Accessed September 1, 2021.
- American Express. "American Express Presale Concert Tickets." Accessed September 1, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "While Many U.S. Credit Card Issuers Struggle to Meet Evolving Customer Expectations, Some Bright Spots Exist, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed September 1, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.