Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi Review
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is ideal for loyal and long-term Costco members. Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi benefits include some of the highest cash back rewards on the market for gas purchases as well as decent rewards for your online and in-store Costco purchases.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi offers great value for Costo shoppers looking for a card with hefty rewards and no annual fees. This card comes with a generous 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter. The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is also one of the most travel-friendly rewards cards in the market. It has no foreign transaction fee and a generous 3% reward rate for travel and dining expenses.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi at a Glance
Since many credit cards exclude warehouse purchases, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is a great option for loyal Costco shoppers who want to get rewards on their purchases. If you spend a lot in categories like gas, travel and dining, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi offers generous rewards. You will also earn 2% cashback on both your in-store and online Costco purchases with this card.
- Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
One of the best cards available for Costco members who spend a lot on gas
- ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $0Annual Fee
- 1–4% Cash Back*Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Dining
- 3xRewards Rate on Air Travel
Pros & Cons Explained
It is important to understand the pros and cons of the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi and how they will affect the value of the card in addition to your user experience. Before you sign up for this card, here are some of the pros and cons you need to consider.
- High rewards ratesThe 4% rewards rate for gas purchases worldwide is one of the best in the market, making the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi ideal for people who spend a lot on gas. This card also has generous rewards rates of 3% for travel and dining, which rivals some of the most popular travel cards in the market.
- No foreign transaction feesYou can use this card to pay for international purchases or when traveling outside the U.S. at no extra charge. This card is also widely accepted, making it a great option if you travel and want a cost-effective card.
- No annual feeIf you are a Costco member, you do not need to pay any fee for the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card. This means you get great value because there are no annual costs eating into your rewards.
- Limited redemption optionsYou can only redeem your Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi rewards once a year. While this can help you accumulate a lot of rewards, for people who prefer a more flexible redemption program, this can be quite inconvenient. You are also limited to only redeeming your rewards at Costco.
- No sign-up bonusIf you are looking for a card with a welcome bonus or 0% introductory APR, the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card does not have these perks.
- Costco membership is requiredThis card is only available to Costco members. If you are not already a member, you will need to pay the $60 Costco membership fee before you can submit your Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi application.
Consider comparing the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi with the best rewards credit cards. This can help you find out which cards offer the most value for different spending categories.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Before you apply for the Citi Anywhere Visa Card, it’s important to understand how the rewards work. Here’s what you need to know.
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi has lucrative rewards for particular categories and offers great value for Costco members. With this card, you get 4% for gas purchases capped at $7,000 per year, then 1%, 3% for travel and restaurant expenses, 2% for Costco purchases, both in-store and online and 1% for all other eligible purchases.
Your Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi rewards can only be redeemed at a Costco warehouse either for cash back or merchandise. Your rewards will be provided in the form of an annual certificate once a year in February and you have until December 31 of each year to complete the redemption or the certificate will expire.
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is a co-branded card, which means that most of its benefits are tailored to suit Costco members. To be eligible for this card, you need to be an active Costco member. This costs $60 for regular membership and $120 if you want to join as an executive member.
Other Features Explained
Beyond the rewards, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi offers additional features that can benefit cardholders.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Purchase protectionThe Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi gives you access to purchase protection, which covers you for the loss or damage to your purchases.
- Citi EntertainmentYou will get access to Citi Entertainment(https://www.citientertainment.com/), which gives you special access to event tickets, concerts and more.
- Customer serviceCostco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi cardholders have the option to manage and transact online using the Citi mobile app or website. Cardholders also get access to 24/7 customer service.
One of the standout Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi benefits is the purchase protection you get when you use this credit card. Any purchases made with this card that are stolen or damaged will be refunded or repaired, provided you report within 120 days of making the purchase.
Understanding the Fine Print
The Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card does not have an annual fee, but there are other standard charges you need to be aware of before signing up.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR19.74% Variable
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–4% Cash Back*
- Airline Benefits
Cash Back Rewards Rate
The rewards rate for this card varies depending on the spending category, with gas earning 4% cashback, travel and restaurant purchases earning 3%, Costco purchases earning 1% and all other purchases earning 1% cash back. It is important to note that the cash back rewards for gas purchases are limited to a maximum of $7,000 per year.
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi has a variable APR of 19.49%. Since this credit card does not have an introductory APR offer, the regular APR applies to all purchases and balance transfers from the time of signing up.
When you make a late payment or your payment is returned, the penalty APR applied will be 29.99%, variable based on your creditworthiness. To avoid this penalty APR which may be applied to your account indefinitely, it is important to make payment before your due date, which is 23 days after your billing cycle.
Balance transfers on this card attract a fee of $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. For cash advances, the transaction fee is $10 or 5% of the amount, whichever is greater. There are no transaction fees for foreign transactions.
This card has no annual fee for Costco members.
You can always verify your credit card information details by checking the card issuer's website or using authority sites like MoneyGeek. You will also find that your latest billing statement carries the latest information on your card. Checking the Citi mobile app or any other card issuers website or app will also help you keep up with the latest offers, deals and other important details. You can even get useful information from the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi?
Other Considerations for Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
Like any other rewards credit card, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi has its pros and drawbacks. Before you make this your primary or secondary rewards card, it is important to understand how to get the most value out of your card.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If this will be your first or only card, keep in mind that the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi has generous rewards in specific categories like gas and travel. This means if you spend more on groceries and not as much on gas, you may not benefit from the lucrative rewards programs. Consider your spending habits before choosing this card as your primary cash back card.
This card is designed to benefit Costco members. If you do not shop regularly at Costco, you will get better value with a card that is not specific to one vendor.
Additionally, you need a credit score of at least 720 or more to qualify for the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi. If your credit score is lower than this you may have trouble getting approved.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you use the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi to complement your existing card, you can make the best out of it by using it for all your gas purchases. This will let you take advantage of the 4% reward rate until you reach the stipulated $7,000 per year limit, then 1% after the spending limit is reached. After this limit, you can use your other cards for gas purchases.
You can also use the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi while traveling internationally. This card has no foreign transaction fees and even offers generous rewards on travel expenses, which makes it as competitive as some of the best travel cards in the market. Considering that it has no annual fees, you may get better value using this for your travel-related expenses compared to other cards.
MoneyGeek’s methodology and review process helps us determine the best credit cards for different consumer profiles based on card fees, interest rates, rewards, benefits and more. We use a comprehensive six-step process that involves collecting credit card information, standardizing data point weights, establishing the card’s value and ranks for different categories, reviewing data monthly and reprocess rankings among other key rating factors.
How Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi Compares to Other Cards
For loyal Costco members, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is hard to beat for value and rewards earning potential. However, it’s still wise to compare it to other cards to make sure you add the best card for you to your wallet.
Quick Comparison of Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card
- Annual fee: None
- Purchase APR: 19.49% Variable
- Foreign transaction fee: None
- Rewards rate: 4% cash back on gas, up to the first $7,000 in purchases, then 1%, 3% cash back for travel and dining, 2% cash back at Costco stores, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Redemption options: Limited to once a year at Costco Warehouses
- Mini Verdict: Best for Costco members who spend a lot on gas, travel and dining.
Chase Freedom Flex℠
- Annual fee: $0
- Purchase APR: 19.24% – 27.99% Variable
- Foreign transaction fee: 3%
- Rewards rate: 5% cash back on eligible purchases in rotating categories, once activated up to $1500, 5% on travel purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% on dining and drugstores, 1% on all other purchases
- Redemption options: Multiple redemption options with no time restrictions.
- Mini Verdict: Best for people looking for a flexible and lucrative rewards credit card for everyday purchases and travel.
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
If you would like to find out more about the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi, you will find more information in the answers to commonly asked questions.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you are a Costco member looking for a rewards card with no annual charges and long-term value, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is a great choice. However, if you find that this card favors spending categories where you do not spend much money. You may want to consider cash back cards, travel cards, gas cards or even business cards to find the best option for your wallet.
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
World of Hyatt Credit Card
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding Credit
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Mastercard® Black Card™
Mastercard® Titanium Card™
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard® Secured Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Iberia Visa Signature® Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Citi. "Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi." Accessed September 11, 2021.
- Citi. "Interest Rates and Interest Charges." Accessed September 11, 2021.
- Forbes Advisor. "Costco Anywhere Visa Card By Citi 2021 Review." Accessed September 11, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.