Citi Double Cash Card Review
The Citi Double Cash Card’s 2% cash back reward and $0 annual fee makes it an attractive option for consumers who make on-time minimum payments. It can also be an enticing balance transfer card, offering 0% intro APR for 18 months.
People who regularly pay off their balances each month can benefit from the Citi Double Cash Card. It offers a 2% cash back reward — 1% when you buy and another 1% when you pay for the purchase. Additionally, it provides an introductory 0% APR on balance transfers for the first 18 months, with a 13.99%–23.99% APR afterward, depending on your creditworthiness.
Cardholders can access these benefits with no annual fee. The Citi Double Cash Card is a solid and reliable option for individuals with excellent credit.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Citi Double Cash Card at a Glance
The Citi Double Cash Card is a dependable card for responsible consumers. It features no annual fee and offers 1% cash back on all purchases, along with another 1% cash back on payments toward your purchases. There’s no limit on the rewards you earn, and you don’t need to keep track of any categories. It’s a low-effort rewards card with an 18-month 0% intro APR for balance transfers.
- Citi Double Cash Card
A great no annual fee card that offers 2% cash back
- ExcellentCredit Needed
- $0Annual Fee
- 2% Cash Back*Rewards Rate
- 2xRewards Rate on Gas
- 2xRewards Rate on Groceries
Pros & Cons Explained
The Citi Double Cash Card features exciting benefits, but interested cardholders should also consider its shortcomings. Understanding its pros and cons can help you decide if it’s the right card for you.
- Up to 2% Cash Back RewardsAll purchases made using the Citi Double Cash Card earn you a 1% cash back reward, and you gain another 1% when you pay for the purchase. There’s no limit on how much you can earn, as long as you make minimum payments on time.
- A 0% Intro APR for Balance TransfersBalance transfers on this card have an introductory APR of 0% for 18 months. After that, Citi applies the card’s standard 13.99%–23.99% APR, depending on your credit score. An individual must make the transfer within four months from account opening, and it is subject to a balance transfer fee.
- No Annual FeeYou don’t need to pay annual fees to use this card.
- Rewards Expire and Have a Minimum RedemptionYour cash back rewards can expire if you don’t earn any new reward in 12 months. Additionally, you need to have at least $25 in rewards before you can redeem them, which means at least $1,250 in purchases and payments.
- No Sign-Up BonusUnlike other cards for consumers with excellent credit scores, the Citi Double Cash Card lacks a sign-up bonus. Other cards offer a bonus after meeting a spend threshold or an introductory 0% APR on all purchases.
- Foreign Transfer FeeThe card carries a 3% foreign transaction fee when used for international purchases. Similar cards do not apply foreign transfer fees.
Every month, MoneyGeek analyzes various credit card offerings and selects the top cards for popular categories. Check out our list of the best credit cards for excellent credit consumers.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
All purchases with the Citi Double Cash Card earn a 1% cash back reward upon purchase and another 1% upon on-time minimum payment. Although there’s no limit on the rewards you earn, they will expire if you don’t gain new rewards within 12 months.
You need to have at least $25 in rewards before they become redeemable. This requires a cardholder to spend a minimum of $1,250 in purchases and payments before redeeming their cash back rewards.
You can redeem your cash back rewards in various ways:
You can redeem your cash back rewards as a statement credit, check or direct deposit to your linked Citi savings or checking account. You can request to redeem at least $25 up to the total cash back balance on your account.
Citi ThankYou Points
You can convert as little as $1 of cash back rewards to Citi ThankYou Points for use on travel, gift cards and more. ThankYou Points are particularly valuable when used for airfare. Cash back rewards are convertible at a 1-to-1 rate.
Other Features Explained
The Citi Double Cash Card's many benefits can make it a versatile addition to your wallet.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Contactless PayWith its contactless-chip, you can use this card to shop safely with eligible merchants.
- 24/7 Customer ServiceYou can access Citi’s customer service representatives 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- No Liability on Unauthorized ChargesYou will not be responsible for unauthorized transactions(https://www.moneygeek.com/credit-cards/resources/fraud/) on your account — online or otherwise.
If you’re transferring high-interest balances on the Citi Double Cash Card, plan on paying it down for 18 months or less to avoid monthly interest charges. However, you still need to pay a transfer fee of $5 or 3% — keep that in mind when computing how much you can save if you transfer your balances to this card.
Understanding the Fine Print
It is important to understand all fees associated with the Citi Double Cash Card to help you decide if it’s the right card for you. While it doesn’t have an annual fee, the card includes balance transfer and foreign transaction fees. Keep that in mind as you weigh your options.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate2% Cash Back*
- Airline Benefits
This card comes with a variable APR of 13.99%–23.99%, depending on the cardholder’s creditworthiness. This APR applies to all purchases.
Cash Back Rewards Rate
You can receive up to 2% cash back rewards on purchases with this card. Cardholders earn 1% during purchase and another 1% upon paying for the purchase. You need to pay the minimum amount due on time for your payments to earn cash back rewards.
Balance Transfer Fee & APR
The Citi Double Cash Card offers a 0% APR on balance transfers for 18 months. To qualify, you need to complete the balance transfer within four months of account opening. Your regular APR will apply after the introductory period. All balance transfers on this card are subject to a $5 or 3% transfer fee — whichever is greater.
Foreign Transaction Fee
You will be charged a 3% foreign transaction fee whenever you use this card outside of the U.S.
When comparing this card with other rewards cards, note their rewards rates and redemption policies. If you’re comparing this with a card you currently own, you can find this information on your billing statement or your provider’s website. Additionally, you can visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s credit card agreement database to know more.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Citi Double Cash Card?
Other Considerations for Citi Double Cash Card
Knowing whether you’ll use the Citi Double Cash Card as your only card or as an additional card can help you decide if it’s the right card for you. This card is reliable on its own, but it’s also ideal as an additional card.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan on making the Citi Double Cash Card your first credit card, keep in mind that it’s only available for people with good to excellent credit. Make sure you meet that requirement before applying.
The card lacks some benefits present in similar cards, such as sign-up bonuses. The Citi Double Cash Card also charges a foreign transaction fee — something to consider if you’ll be traveling overseas and plan to make this your only card.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Due to its lack of annual fees, the Citi Double Cash Card is a good additional card in your wallet. You can use it to earn cash back rewards on items not rewarded by your primary card. Cardholders can also transfer their high-interest balances on this card to take advantage of its flexible 0% APR intro offer. It’s a stable and reliable card, despite its lack of promos and offers.
At MoneyGeek, we follow an in-depth review process when assessing credit cards. We carefully study data from various sources, including the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database. To ensure the accuracy of our analysis, we standardize data points, use an average spending profile and factor in promotions and bonuses. MoneyGeek also regularly revisits our data to make sure our findings remain up to date.
How Citi Double Cash Card Compares to Other Cards
Like most cards for consumers with excellent credit scores, the Citi Double Cash Card applies no annual fee. While it lacks the sign-up bonuses and promotions of similar cards, its straightforward cash back rewards for all purchases make it an attractive option for individuals looking for a low-effort rewards card. Additionally, only a few other cards with a flat-rate cash back system can match the 0% intro APR for balance transfers of the Citi Double Cash Card.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
Quick Comparison of Citi Double Cash Card
Citi Double Cash Card
- Annual Fee: $0
- Cash Back Rate: up to 2%; expires after 12 months of inactivity
- Sign-up Bonus: N/A
- APR Promo: 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers completed within four months from account opening
- Mini Verdict: Great for consumers looking for a simple and reliable rewards card with no annual fee.
American Express Cash Magnet Card
- Annual Fee: $0
- Cash Back Rate: 1.5%; non-expiring
- Sign-up Bonus: $200 statement credit after spending $1,000 on purchases within three months from account opening
- APR Promo: 0% APR on purchases for 15 months
- Mini Verdict: Great for people who plan on making big purchases after account opening.
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
To help you decide if the Citi Double Cash Card is the right card for you, we’ve answered some frequently asked questions about the card.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you still want to look at other cards before deciding on the Citi Double Cash Card, check out other cash back cards on the market. You can also compare what other balance transfer cards have to offer to find out which card is the right one for you.
Chase Ink Business Cash
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
Citi Simplicity Card
Chase Ink Business Preferred
PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature Card
Capital One SavorOne Rewards
Mastercard Titanium Card
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Bank of America Travel Rewards for Students
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
Capital One SavorOne Rewards for Students
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Rewards Visa
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
Capital One Journey Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Navy Federal Visa cashRewards Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Capital One Spark Miles
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Visa
Capital One Spark Cash Select
American Express Gold Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.