The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
A great cash back card for gas and grocery shopping
- 3% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 19.24% – 29.99% VariableAPR
- $95Annual Fee
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
The MoneyGeek review process for credit cards involves examining each card’s specs and weighing it against other cards using standardized data points. Afterward, we factor in bonus rewards and welcome offers to get the total value of the card for consumers. Monthly reviews and re-rankings are also conducted to account for any changes.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Perfect for families, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express boasts a whopping 6% cash back rate at U.S. supermarkets with a $6,000 annual spending cap and 3% back on transit and at U.S. gas stations. Cardholders can also get 6% back on select streaming subscriptions and enjoy 1% back on all other purchases.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express Overview
Armed with solid rewards rates and an attractive welcome bonus, the Blue Cash Preferred Card can grant smart shoppers significant savings on essential expenses.
- Get 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in spending — followed by 1%.
- Get 6% cash back on select streaming subscriptions.
- Get 3% cash back at gas stations and on transit (trains, buses, taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, etc.).
- Get 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Redeem reward dollars as statement credit.
- Benefit through intro APR, annual fee and bonus cash back offers.
- Use the Pay It method for purchases under $100 and make payments through the month.
- Use the Plan It method for purchases over $100. Split them up into monthly payments with fixed monthly fees and no interest.
- Get added peace of mind through car rental loss and damage insurance, return protection and fraud protection.
- Use the American Express Experiences platform and access presale tickets and member-only events.
Important Card Details
The American Express Blue Cash Preferred® Card comes with a variety of cash back rewards, but it also comes with various fees and interest rates. Make sure to understand all the fees involved before applying for the card.
Intro and Regular APR
Blue Cash Preferred® cardholders get a 0% intro APR for the first 12 months upon account opening. Afterward, there is a variable APR of 19.24% – 29.99%, the exact rate of which will depend on your creditworthiness.
Cash Back Rewards Rate
The 6% cash back rate at U.S. supermarkets is capped at the first $6,000 spent per calendar year — anything past the limit gets a cash back rate of 1%. Cardholders can also get 6% back on eligible streaming subscriptions, 3% on transit (such as buses, trains and rideshares) and 3% at U.S. gas stations.
Penalty APR and Fees
In case you make late payments or have a payment returned, you will receive a penalty APR of 29.99%. This applies at least until you have made timely payments for six consecutive months and have no payments returned. Note that whether the penalty APR will apply depends on your creditworthiness as well.
Late payments and returned payments also get a fee of $40 each, but there are no fees for going over the credit limit.
Foreign Transaction Fees
For every transaction made abroad, you will have to pay a 2.7% fee. This means that if you purchase something worth $500 abroad with the Blue Cash Preferred Card, you will pay an extra $13.50.
Blue Cash Preferred® cardholders can enjoy more than just the generous cash back rates, as American Express offers a host of features and benefits for its customers.
- Car Rental Protection: Car rentals booked and paid for with the Blue Cash Preferred Card get secondary coverage in case of damage or theft.
- Purchase Protection: American Express cardholders get Purchase Protection. This lets you get reimbursed up to $1,000 per purchase in case of theft or damage, with a limit of $50,000 per calendar year.
- Fraud Protection: Through a card identification number (CID), chip technology, opt-in fraud alerts, active fraud detection and more, American Express works behind the scenes to ensure your information is secure.
- 24/7 Global Assistance Hotline: If you encounter a problem with your card, be it theft, fraud or a general inquiry, American Express offers a 24/7 hotline for your concern. With a dedicated fraud hotline and various international phone numbers, you can reach customer service anytime, anywhere.
How the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express Compares To Other Cards
[Subnav: Quick Comparison] The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express benefits are some of the highest in these categories and typically outweigh the annual fees, but how it stacks up against other cards will depend on your financial needs.
For instance, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is often compared to the Blue Cash Everyday Card. Both offer rewards in similar bonus categories, but each comes with its own unique offers.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
How the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express Compares
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Cash Back Rewards Rate: 6% at U.S. supermarkets for the first $6,000 spent in a year, 6% on select streaming subscriptions, 3% on transit and at U.S. gas stations and 1% for all other purchases
- Variable APR: 19.24% – 29.99%
- Annual Fee: $95
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7%
- Mini Verdict: Best for families who want to save on daily expenses
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Cash Back Rewards Rate: 3% at U.S. supermarkets for the first $6,000 spent in a year, 3% at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores and 1% for all other purchases
- Regular APR: 19.24% – 29.99% variable
- Annual Fee: None
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7%
- Mini Verdict: Best for people who frequent department stores
Frequently Asked Questions
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.