Amica car insurance was founded in 1907 and is one of the oldest auto insurance companies in the U.S. It has a relatively small market share but is known for its excellent customer service. J.D. Power has recognized its high customer satisfaction levels for 17 successive years. Amica consistently ranks highly for customer satisfaction. These achievements make it a provider worth considering for your auto insurance needs.
Auto Insurance Review: Amica Mutual
How Does Amica Mutual Auto Insurance Rate?
MoneyGeek has created a list of the best car insurance companies based on industry sources such as AM Best, J.D. Power and the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners). However, Amica doesn’t quite earn a spot among the top 10 providers on this list. Despite this, Amica is still a strong choice for consumers who want low rates and an excellent customer service experience.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Based on data provided by J.D. Power, Amica earns a score of 860 out of 1,000 points. This is one of the highest scores among all insurers in the nation, and it indicates that Amica's customer satisfaction reputation is superior to the vast majority of competitors. These star ratings are also derived from J.D. Power's data, showing that Amica excels in several specific areas as well.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Amica received a customer complaint index score of 1.34 in NAIC’s 2019 report. The national median is 1.00, which means Amica received a slightly higher number of complaints than the national average.
AM Best gave Amica an A+ financial strength rating — indicating “superior” company strength — and a stable outlook. This rating addresses a company’s ability to meet its insurance obligations. Clearly, Amica has the financial strength necessary to cover claims.
Amica Mutual Insurance Features
It’s smart to shop for car insurance by comparing the prices of multiple providers so you can select the best and cheapest coverage. Amica stands out for its superior customer service, excellent rewards and lack of restrictions on repair facilities.
Amica’s website offers useful services and tools such as a rate calculator. You can pay your bills and file a claim online or on the mobile app.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsFind out the premium you need to pay for the coverage you select.
- Online Price QuotesSelect your state and enter your details to get an instant quote.
- Online Bill PayYou can easily create your account and pay your bill online.
- Online ClaimsAmica enables you to report and track your claim online.
- Payment OptionsEnter your account number and ZIP code to make a quick payment.
Amica Mutual Auto Coverage
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCollision coverage helps repair your vehicle after an auto accident.
- Personal Injury ProtectionThis is a required coverage in some states. It pays for your medical costs and those of your passengers, regardless of who’s responsible for an accident.
- UninsuredSome states require this coverage, which pays for medical and repair costs when an uninsured or underinsured driver hits your car.
- LiabilityLiability coverage pays the other driver’s medical and repair costs if you are responsible for an accident.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Amica’s optional insurance features include prestige rental reimbursement, full glass coverage, good driving rewards, identity fraud monitoring and more.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementRental reimbursement pays for your transportation expenses while your car gets repaired after an accident.
- Roadside AssistanceThis covers the costs of towing, tire changes, lockouts, jumpstarts and fuel delivery.
- Accident ForgivenessEarn “Advantage Points” that can reduce your expenses if you’re in an accident.
- Auto Glass RepairThis coverage pays for broken windshields and windows. There is no deductible if you choose this feature as an optional coverage.
- New CarNew car coverage replaces your totaled car with a new vehicle. Your car must have less than 15,000 miles and be less than one year old to be eligible.
Available Discounts on Amica Mutual Car Insurance Coverage
Amica presents a long list of standard discounts, as well as others like the loyalty discount, to encourage its policyholders to become long-term customers.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Defensive DriverTaking an approved driver safety course will help you earn this discount.
- Driver TrainingThis discount is provided for new drivers who complete driver's education classes.
- Good StudentAmica offers this discount to full-time college or high school students in the age group of 15–25 years who maintain a "B" average or higher.
- Multi VehicleInsure two or more cars to earn this discount.
- FamilyAmica's family discounts include young driver training, good student, student away at school and parental loyalty rewards.
Other Amica Mutual Insurance Products
Earn a discount by bundling all the insurance policies you have with Amica. Besides auto insurance, this provider offers home, life, umbrella, condo, renters and other standard coverages.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceAmica’s home insurance includes standard coverages, as well as discounts and dividend payments.
- Renters InsuranceRenters can safeguard their belongings at an affordable rate.
- Umbrella InsuranceUmbrella insurance gives you additional liability coverage for costly and unexpected events. It offers extra protection beyond what your home or auto insurance policy already covers.
- Condo InsuranceProtect yourself, your possessions and your home with Amica’s condo insurance.
- Flood InsuranceFlood insurance covers your property, home, personal belongings and essential systems.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Amica Mutual
To report a claim on Amica’s website, you need to create an online account. After you file your claim on the site, a virtual advisor will guide you through the process. You can also use Amica's mobile app or toll-free number to report your claim.
Contact Amica Mutual Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
- AM Best. "Amica Mutual Insurance Company Profile." Accessed January 3, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey." Accessed January 3, 2021.
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Amica Mutual Insurance Company National Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed January 3, 2021.
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "About the NAIC." Accessed January 3, 2021.