Auto-Owners Insurance is a financially sound company with competitive rates. They offer standard coverages with some add-on benefits that aren’t offered by other car insurance companies along with discounts that help to drive down auto insurance costs for the budget-minded consumer. The main drawbacks are they are only offered in 26 states and you have to work with an independent agent to get a quote and service your policies.
Auto Insurance Review: Auto-Owners Insurance Co
Getting a free car insurance quote for Auto-Owners Insurance to compare with other car companies is easy. You just have to contact a local independent agent in one of the 26 states their insurance is offered in. Auto-Owners Insurance has received mostly above-average scores from third-party rating systems, making it a great company to consider if you’re unhappy with your current rates. Younger drivers also tend to get lower rates with Auto-Owners Insurance compared to other companies. A clean claims history, utilizing paperless billing and paying your bill on time are just a few ways you can save with Auto-Owners Insurance.
How Does Auto-Owners Insurance Co Auto Insurance Rate?
Insurance companies are rated on different criteria including claims satisfaction, financial strength and customer experience. Companies like J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) use their own ranking systems to score companies. Auto-Owners Insurance has high rankings from all three companies.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Auto-Owners Insurance received a 4 out of 5 stars on JD Power’s auto claims customer satisfaction survey. Auto-Owners Insurance scored highest in first notice of loss, repair process and claims servicing.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Auto-Owners Insurance Co
The NAIC score represents a customer complaint ratio for each auto insurance company. The national median is 1 and Auto-Owners Insurance has a ratio of 0.46. This means they have higher-than-average customer satisfaction compared to other car insurance companies.
AM Best's Financial Strength Rating measures a company’s ability to pay its insurance obligations. Auto-Owners Insurance has AM Best’s highest rating (A++) and has maintained the same high ranking for years. This rating means they are financially stable and should be able to pay its policyholder’s claims. The rating, however, is not considered a warranty or guarantee.
Auto-Owners Insurance Co Insurance Features
Auto-Owners Insurance offers the standard auto coverage most companies are known for, but also has added benefits like diminished value protection, collision coverage advantage and common loss deductible features. They also offer specialty coverage for classic cars as well as modified or custom automobiles. You may be eligible for several discounts, including multi-policy, to save even more on their competitive rates.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Mobile AppAvailable for both Apple and Android devices with the same features as the online customer center.
Auto-Owners Insurance Co Auto Coverage
Auto-Owners Insurance’s auto insurance provides the standard and optional auto coverage you’ve come to expect from car insurance companies. But they also have some unique features not found at many other companies. Their business model allows you to build a personal relationship with your local agent, who is there for you when you need them to answer questions, file claims and make sure the coverage meets your individual needs.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionPays to fix damage to your vehicle or replace it if you’re involved in an accident.
- Personal Injury ProtectionPays for medical costs, hospitalization and rehabilitation if you are injured in an accident, regardless of fault. PIP also covers lost wages due to injury from an accident.
- UninsuredProtection if you or your passengers are injured or killed, or for property damage if the other person doesn’t have any insurance or not enough insurance to cover the loss.
- LiabilityBodily Injury Liability: Pays for injuries to others involved when you’re at fault in an accident, including legal fees. Property Damage Liability: Pays for property damage when you are at fault, including legal fees if you’re sued.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Auto-Owners Insurance provides some standard optional features and coverages like most auto insurance companies. Their Personal Automobile Plus Package sets them apart by offering 10 additional features for an extra cost. These features are only available bundled in the package and cannot be bought individually.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementNo need to purchase insurance when renting a car, your Auto-Owners Insurance policy will cover the insurance, plus any additional fees or charges if you’re involved in an accident.
- Roadside AssistanceOptional coverage if you need assistance including changing a tire, running out of gas, locking your keys in the car, dead battery and more.
- Gap CoverageIf your vehicle is totaled in an accident and the value is less than your remaining loan or lease amount, this optional coverage will fill the gap and pay off your remaining loan or lease.
- Medical PaymentsPays for medical costs, hospitalization and rehabilitation if you are injured in an accident, regardless of fault. PIP also covers lost wages due to injury from an accident.
- OtherDiminished Value: Any accident that requires repairs can cause the value of your vehicle to drop. This optional coverage provides compensation for the diminished value of your car.
Available Discounts on Auto-Owners Insurance Co Car Insurance Coverage
With Auto-Owners Insurance, you can expect many of the same standard discounts you’ve come to expect from the biggest car insurance companies. They have competitive rates for young drivers and also offer student discounts. Stack as many discounts as possible to get the maximum amount of savings while still having quality coverage.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverTeen Driver Monitoring Discount - Enabling the app with GPS location while your teen is driving safely may help you save.
- Good StudentHigh school and college students can save up to 20% with a “B” GPA or above if they’re in school.
- Multi VehicleQualify for this discount by insuring more than one car with Auto-Owners Insurance.
- Multi PolicyPurchase other qualifying policies, like life and home, along with your auto insurance for this discount. Purchase your life insurance through Auto-Owners Insurance and get a discount on your car insurance.
- Safety EquipmentThe safer your car, the more you save with features like airbags, anti-theft and anti-lock brakes (ABS).
Other Auto-Owners Insurance Co Insurance Products
Take advantage of bundling different policies to gain more discounts with Auto-Owners Insurance by insuring all your needs with one company. Home, umbrella, pet, and flood insurance are just a few of the insurance options available to you.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceWhether you own a home, condo or mobile home, you can get coverage for your dwelling and possessions. Renters insurance is also available, along with rental dwelling policies for landlords to protect their assets.
- Umbrella InsuranceProtect yourself against the unexpected. Umbrella insurance is there in case of a large injury or liability claim that is more than your home or auto policy covers.
- Flood InsuranceGet flood insurance to protect your property in case there’s flooding in your area.
- Life InsuranceProtect your life and your family’s lifestyle by getting coverage today.
- Business InsuranceAuto-Owners Insurance offers different policies to fit your business needs. Choose from commercial auto and property, workers’ compensation, bonds, loss control and a commercial umbrella.