Auto-Owners Insurance Co Auto Insurance Review: Quotes and Service (2022)
MoneyGeek found that Auto-Owners Insurance is an average car insurance provider, scoring 79 out of 100. Auto-Owners scored above-average for customer satisfaction, excellent for complaints and stability, but below-average for discounts. Auto-Owners is inexpensive with a ticket, for young drivers and full or minimum coverage. The diminished value coverage through Auto-Owners is a rare offering amongst insurers.
Compare Auto Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your auto insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
Auto-Owners has an excellent score for stability and complaints, meaning it receives fewer complaints on average than other car insurance companies. For customer satisfaction, Auto-Owners has an above-average MoneyGeek score. Auto-Owners is cheap for drivers getting full coverage or minimum coverage as well as young drivers and those with a speeding violation.
If you want more details on Auto-Owners and other car insurers, MoneyGeek provides resources on the most inexpensive car insurance companies and the best car insurance companies. You can also use MoneyGeek’s auto insurance company comparison tool if you want to see how Auto-Owners’ rates and more compare to other providers.
How Does Auto-Owners Insurance Co Rank for Customer Service?
Insurance companies are rated on different criteria including claims satisfaction, financial strength and customer experience. Companies like J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) use their own ranking systems to score companies. Auto-Owners Insurance has high rankings from all three companies.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Auto-Owners Insurance received four out of five stars on JD Power’s auto claims customer satisfaction survey. Auto-Owners Insurance scored highest in first notice of loss, repair process and claims servicing.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Auto-Owners Insurance Co
The NAIC score represents a customer complaint ratio for each auto insurance company. The national median is 1.00 and Auto-Owners Insurance has a ratio of 0.46. This means they have higher-than-average customer satisfaction compared to other car insurance companies.
Auto-Owners Insurance Co Auto Insurance Quotes: How Much Does it Cost?
MoneyGeek collected auto insurance quotes in all 50 states, including the states where Auto-Owners sells auto policies, and averaged them for sample drivers. In the states where Auto-Owners is available and MoneyGeek has data, we found that Auto-Owners is inexpensive, costing an average of $1,847 annually.
One of the easiest ways to find the cheapest insurance policy in your area is by shopping around and comparing different quotes. In addition to rates, the company’s financial strength and customer service performance are important to consider when buying a policy.
Average Annual Cost of Car Insurance with Auto-Owners Insurance Co versus National Average
Scroll for more
- Driver TypeAuto-Owners Insurance Co Average RateNational Average
- Full Coverage$1,847$2,991
- Minimum Coverage$1,126$1,973
- Speeding Ticket on Record$2,661$4,482
- 18-Year-Old Driver$4,109$9,733
Is Auto-Owners Insurance Co Car Insurance Expensive or Cheap? Why?
Whether you are getting full coverage or minimum coverage, an 18-year-old (teen) driver or a driver with a traffic violation, a policy from Auto-Owners is relatively inexpensive.
Auto-Owners, like most car insurance companies, does not provide much detail about how it calculates car insurance rates. However, expect your rates to be higher than the average if you have a bad credit score or a driving violation. But, consider Auto-Owners if you have a speeding ticket as the company may not charge as much as another insurer.
Discounts Offered by Auto-Owners Insurance Co That Can Help You Save
Auto-Owners offers several widely available discounts that can lower how much you pay for auto insurance. They include bundling, multiple car, good student, safe driving, anti-theft system, pay in full, paperless and airbag. However, it doesn’t offer a defensive driving discount like other insurers.
Auto-Owners has some unique discounts like early signing for new policyholders requesting a quote before they need the policy to kick in and an anti-lock brakes discount for cars with that safety feature. Bundling your car insurance with an Auto-Owners' life insurance policy is a rare discount this company provides.
Compare Auto-Owners Insurance Co Directly With Other Car Insurance Companies
MoneyGeek helps you compare Auto-Owners with other insurance companies by providing helpful information and tools that you can use. Our auto insurance company comparison tool helps you determine how Auto-Owners measures up based on customer service, cost and standout coverages. It also links you to other resources to better compare insurers in your state.
Does Auto-Owners Insurance Co Offer Broad or Unique Coverage?
Like other car insurers, Auto-Owners provides liability, collision and comprehensive insurance. Auto-Owners also provides some of the most common add-on coverages like roadside assistance, rental car and/or travel reimbursement, new car replacement and gap insurance. Although, it is missing some add-on coverages like accident forgiveness, deductible modification and better car replacement.
A unique and rarely provided coverage Auto-Owners offers is diminished value coverage. The moment your car is involved in an accident, it may lose value, regardless of whether it is repaired. Diminished value coverage protects your investment by compensating you with the amount of the reduction in the value of your car.
What Online Auto Insurance Tools Does Auto-Owners Insurance Co Offer?
Auto-Owners Insurance offers the standard auto coverage most companies are known for, but also has added benefits like diminished value protection, collision coverage advantage and common loss deductible features. They also offer specialty car insurance coverage for classic cars as well as modified or custom automobiles. You may be eligible for several discounts, including multi-policy, to save even more on their competitive rates.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Mobile AppAvailable for both Apple and Android devices with the same features as the online customer center.
Other Auto-Owners Insurance Co Insurance Products
Take advantage of bundling different policies to gain more discounts with Auto-Owners Insurance by insuring all your needs with one company. Home, umbrella, pet and flood insurance are just a few of the insurance options available to you.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceWhether you own a home, condo or mobile home, you can get coverage for your dwelling and possessions. Renters insurance is also available, along with rental dwelling policies for landlords to protect their assets.
- Umbrella InsuranceProtect yourself against the unexpected. Umbrella insurance is there in case of a large injury or liability claim that is more than your home or auto policy covers.
- Flood InsuranceGet flood insurance to protect your property in case there’s flooding in your area.
- Life InsuranceProtect your life and your family’s lifestyle by getting coverage today.
- Business InsuranceAuto-Owners Insurance offers different policies to fit your business needs. Choose from commercial auto and property, workers’ compensation, bonds, loss control and a commercial umbrella.
AM Best's Financial Strength Rating measures a company’s ability to pay its insurance obligations. Auto-Owners Insurance has AM Best’s highest rating (A++) and has maintained the same high ranking for years. This rating means they are financially stable and should be able to pay their policyholder’s claims. The rating, however, is not considered a warranty or guarantee.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Auto-Owners Insurance Co
Auto-Owners Insurance advises that you should call your independent auto insurance agent to file a claim during their normal business hours. However, they do have a toll-free number you can call anytime. Once you call, you’ll have to supply your name and policy number for verification. You should be ready with details on the vehicle and drivers involved, along with what happened in the accident. The agent will give you a claim number, and you can track the progress of your claim by logging into the Auto-Owners Insurance system.
Contact Auto-Owners Insurance Co Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Who We Are." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Independent Insurance Agent Satisfaction Study." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Auto-Owners Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- AM Best Rating Services. "Auto-Owners Insurance." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Why Independent Agents." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "Insurance Digital Experience Study - Service (2019)." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study (2019)." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Auto." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Coverages." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Ways to Save." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Customer Center." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Agency Locator." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Contact us." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Insurance." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. "Claims." Accessed March 19, 2020.