The Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card is intended for individuals who want to start building their credit or rebuild their poor credit. You may be eligible for a secured credit line up to $2,000 if you have a valid bank account, credit or debit card.
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card Review
The Assent Platinum Mastercard Secured card includes a few features not typically found in secured cards. It functions more like a conventional credit card, enriched with the perks and safeguards of a full-fledged Mastercard. Worth mentioning is the six months of no interest on purchases followed by an incredibly low APR, which is a rarity for a secured card. MoneyGeek's Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured credit card review dissects the card's features, perks, downsides and other facts to help you understand it better and decide if it's right for you.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Security Deposit Required
- Has Rewarding Welcome Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Has Balance Transfer Fee
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card at a Glance
The Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card is a good secured card for anyone looking to boost their credit score while enjoying some of the benefits of a credit card. It acts more like a standard credit card than most secured cards, with a low annual fee of $49. You can obtain a $2,000 credit line by putting down a $2,000 refundable deposit to secure the credit card. This card also boasts an impressive 0% intro APR for six months. To qualify, all you need is a valid bank account, debit or credit card.
- Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card
Best for those looking for a credit-boosting card with a 0% intro APR
- None–PoorCredit Needed
- $49Annual Fee
- $200 minimumMin. Security Deposit
- 3# of Reporting Bureaus
Pros & Cons Explained
As with most other credit cards, the Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card has some advantages and disadvantages. You can analyze these to see if the card is suitable for you.
- Low Credit Score RequirementPeople with limited or no credit score are eligible to apply for the card.
- 0% Intro APRFor the first six months, you don’t need to pay any interest on carrying balances.
- Low Regular APRSurprisingly, the Assent Platinum Mastercard comes with a significantly lower regular APR than most secured credit cards. Carrying balances on this card will only cost you 12.99% after the interest-free period. However, we advise against doing so because your primary goal in using the card is to build credit, and holding balances and paying penalties could have an impact on your credit score.
- Fully Refundable Security DepositTo receive a sufficient credit line, you must put down a specified amount as a deposit. In the case of the Assent Platinum Mastercard, you can start your credit line by making an initial payment of at least $200, which is fully refundable. The amount you put down as collateral acts as your credit line, up to $2,000.
- Wide Global AcceptanceBecause it is a Mastercard, it is widely accepted all over the world.
- Annual FeeIn addition to the security deposit you have to put down as collateral, you need to pay an annual fee of $49 to use this card. Many competitors offer secured credit cards without charging an annual fee.
- 3% Foreign Transaction FeeIf you use this card outside the United States, you will pay a 3% fee on each transaction.
- Not a Nationwide ProgramThe card isn’t available for people living in New York, Iowa, Arkansas and Wisconsin.
Currently, the Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card is not included in our list of the top secured credit cards. However, you may compare this card to the other secured cards on our list.
Other Features Explained
You might also be interested in knowing more about the Assent Platinum Mastercard Secured card's features:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Credit ReportingMonthly reporting to all three major credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, to establish credit history
- Zero Fraud LiabilityCardholders pay nothing if the card is lost or stolen or is subject to unauthorized use.
- ID Theft ProtectionIt comes with free monitoring of credit reports to alert you of any fraudulent transactions or unauthorized use.
"Use the Assent Platinum Mastercard Secured to build your credit with the secured line. Automate your payments so you’re never late and never pay a penalty fee. Your credit score will be up in no time." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Understanding how credit cards function is essential, as is being aware of the card's benefits, fees, interest rates and other features.
The table below lists the fees and rates applicable for the Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$49
- Min. Security Deposit$200 minimum
- Balance Transfer FeeUnspecified
- Balance Transfer APRUnspecified
There's an annual membership fee of $49 for holding this card.
Foreign Transaction Fee
For each foreign transaction, a fee of 3% of the transaction amount will be levied.
The card has a regular APR of 12.99% on purchases and 18.99% on cash advances.
All late payments are subject to a penalty of up to $40. And for returned payments, the penalty will be $29.
Cash Advance Fee
In addition to the high APR on cash advances, expect to pay a fee of $10 or 3% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater.
For the card, a security deposit of between $200 and $2,000 is required. Your credit line will be equal to the amount you put down as a security deposit.
To find the card that best matches your needs, compare the fees, APRs, features and disadvantages of various cards. If you want to compare the Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card to another card you have, find more details in its most recent monthly statements or visit your credit card company's website or mobile app. This information is also available in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's credit card agreement database.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card?
Other Considerations for Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card
Before applying for a credit card, it is critical that you learn everything there is to know about your credit card and understand your rights as a cardholder. If you're thinking about getting the Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card, keep the following considerations in mind. You may see how it works for you as your primary card or as an add-on card.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If the Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card is your first credit card, it's possible that you need one to begin building a credit history and, eventually, a decent credit score. The card's 0% intro APR is a highly attractive feature, especially if you're attempting to build credit and don't want to pay large amounts in interest and penalties for missing one payment.
Even if this is your only credit card (assuming you previously held credit cards but had them suspended due to debts or payment issues), your primary objective should be to pay on time and repair your credit. Making on-time payments increases your chances of being approved for a normal unsecured credit card.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Except for the six months of interest-free purchases, the Assent Platinum Mastercard Secured card may not be helpful as an additional card in your wallet. However, if you apply for this card only to build or boost your credit score, you will not be disappointed.
Remember that the Assent Platinum Mastercard Secured card does not provide any rewards or cash back. You should only consider this as a secondary card if you want to improve your credit score by being a responsible user and making on-time payments. Consider combining it with another secured card that charges no annual fee, such as the Discover It Secured Credit Card.
You may also like one of the credit cards we have rated best for those with a bad credit score.
MoneyGeek uses a comprehensive rating system to perform an in-depth examination of credit cards and companies. The technique includes gathering data from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's database, standardizing data points for card comparison, estimating average spending profiles, considering annual and promotional incentives of each card and calculating the three-year value of maintaining the card. Monthly card re-ranking and semi-annual card list updates are also part of the strategy.
How Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card Compares to Other Cards
Because of its introductory interest-free period of six months and relatively low APR thereafter, the Assent Platinum Mastercard Secured card can be a good choice for many individuals who are struggling to boost their credit scores.
Some may be put off by the inclusion of an annual fee and a foreign transaction fee. However, the intro APR and low regular APR can make up for it. The table below compares it to another secured card with comparable features.
Quick Comparison of Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49
- Regular APR: 12.99%
- Rewards Rate: None
- Minimum Deposit: $200
- Credit Needed: No credit required
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3%
- Best for: Those looking for a credit-boosting card with 0% intro APR
Capital One Secured Mastercard
- Annual Fee: None
- Regular APR: 26.99%
- Rewards Rate: None
- Minimum Deposit: $49
- Credit Needed: Poor
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Best For: Those trying to build credit with a low minimum deposit
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
You're almost certainly going to have a lot of questions about a secured credit card. We've answered some frequently asked questions about the Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card that you might find useful.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you're still undecided about the Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card, compare it to other secured credit cards. If you need a larger credit line but don't want to pay an annual fee or a large deposit, there are alternatives that offer a larger line of credit with a lower deposit requirement and no annual cost.
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase United Gateway
Chase Ink Business Cash
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Capital One Spark Miles
Mastercard Titanium Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Chase United Explorer
Chase IHG Rewards Club Traveler
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
Chase United Club Infinite
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
Citi Premier Card
American Express Blue Business Cash Card
U.S. Bank Altitude Go Visa Signature
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase United Business
Capital One Venture
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
American Express Blue Business Plus Credit Card
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
Capital One VentureOne Rewards
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
American Express Cash Magnet Card
Chase Freedom Flex
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card
Citi Double Cash Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier
American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business
American Express Business Gold Card
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card
Chase Ink Business Preferred
Capital One Journey Student Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
American Express Hilton Honors Business Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Assent Card. "About the Assent Card Platinum Secured MasterCard Credit Card Program." Accessed September 6, 2021.
- Assent Card. "Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card." Accessed September 6, 2021.
- Assent Card. "FAQ/Help." Accessed September 6, 2021.
- Synovus. "Customer Frequently Asked Questions." Accessed September 6, 2021.