The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Travelers with excellent credit may find the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card compelling due to the numerous perks associated with it. Members find value in the card’s high earning and redemption rates as well as luxury perks such as lounge access, concierge services and a $300 yearly travel credit.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card at a Glance
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card is a luxury travel card with exclusive perks for frequent travelers. In addition to the elevated earning and redemption values offered, new cardmembers can earn 60,000 bonus points by spending $4,000 on the card in the first three months. Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card customers can also access over 1,200 worldwide lounges with the Priority Pass Select and are credited $300 back on travel purchases made through the card each year.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
An outstanding travel card with flexible redemption points
- 1–3 Points per $1Rewards Rate
- $550Annual Fee
- 21.99% – 28.99% VariableAPR
- ExcellentRecommended Credit
Pros & Cons Explained
Before applying for the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card, it can be helpful to know the perks and drawbacks of owning the card. This can help you determine if it’s the right card for your wallet.
- No foreign transaction feeSome cards charge a 3% foreign transaction fee. However, using this card means that you won’t be charged to make payments outside of the United States.
- Welcome bonus for new cardholdersNew customers earn 60,000 points for spending $4,000 within the first three months of getting the card. Cardholders can redeem the points for an equivalent of $900 travel costs.
- Annual travel creditCardholders receive up to $300 travel credit each year, which is automatically credited into their account.
- DoorDash subscriptionIf you get the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card, you will be eligible for a maximum of $120 DoorDash credits. You’ll also get a DashPass membership that allows you to get free delivery and reduced service fees on orders that cost more than $12.
- Priority Pass Select membershipCard holders can access over 1,200 VIP airport lounges worldwide with the included Priority Pass.
- High annual feeYou will pay a $550 annual fee for using this card. Authorized users will also pay a $75 annual fee.
- Strong credit is requiredYou must have exceptionally good credit to get approval to purchase this card.
- Limit on high-reward pointsWhile some cards offer the highest rewards across several categories, this card only offers three points per dollar on travel and dining and just one dollar on other purchases.
- High variable APRThe APR for purchases and balance transfers is higher than some Chase travel credit cards.
MoneyGeek ranks the best cards across various categories in its database of credit cards. You can compare the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card with Moneygeek’s list of the best travel cards to see whether it has the features that you are looking for.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
By getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve® card, you will be allowed access to various rewards and bonuses. Here are some of the top perks you can expect to receive if you get the card.
>>MORE: CHASE ULTIMATE REWARDS: PROGRAM GUIDE
1:1 point transfer
You can transfer your points to some of the top airline and hotel loyalty programs. These Chase points are highly valued and will transfer to partner programs at a 1:1 rate.
Once you get this card, you will receive 60,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months. You can redeem these points for up to $900 of travel costs.
No blackout dates
With this card, you can book any seat on a flight or any room in your hotel of choice using the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.
You will get up to 15% off for car rides as well as priority airport pickups and other exclusive savings opportunities with an active Chase Sapphire Reserve Card.
Cardholders are eligible for $120 DoorDash credits. You’ll also get a DashPass membership that allows you to get free delivery and reduced service fees on orders that cost more than $12.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Card customers receive a $300 travel credit every year. This is automatically applied to your account when you make a travel-related purchase.
TSA PreCheck or Global Entry Application Credit
Card users will receive a credit when they use the card to pay for their TSA PreCheck or Global Entry applications.
Other Features Explained
Aside from the rewards and bonuses that the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card offers, there are several additional features that make the card appealing to people with excellent credit.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Luxury hotel and resort optionsThe card allows you to enjoy special benefits within some of the top hotels and resorts worldwide. This may include complimentary room upgrades, free breakfast and resort credits.
- Customer serviceMembers have 24/7 access to customer service regardless of their location.
- Complimentary airport lounge accessWith this card, you will be granted access to various VIP lounges across 500 cities before your next flight.
It is possible to upgrade to this card from the Chase Sapphire Prefered® if you’re looking to earn the larger 60,000 point welcome offer, though you will have to wait 12 months to do so. This is also the card to get if you’re looking for luxury perks, such as the Priority Pass Select. The $300 travel credit also helps this card make a lot of sense financially.
Understanding the Fine Print
Although the card has a high annual fee, it is a great supplement to other reward credit cards. With its 1:1 point transfer feature, it is easy for cardholders to transfer points between different accounts as a way of maximizing the bonus and other rewards. However, you will need to have excellent credit to get the card.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR21.99% – 28.99% Variable
- Annual Fee$550
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–3 Points per $1
- Airline Benefits
Variable APR of 21.99% – 28.99%
The Chase Sapphire Reserve Card has a slightly higher variable APR than some of the other Chase cards. This variable applies to all purchases and balance transfers, and the rate depends on your creditworthiness.
My Chase Plan Fee
This fee is the same across Chase cards and is charged at 1.72% of each transaction’s cost. This amount remains standard until the plan is paid in full.
Before completing the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card application, you need to be sure that you are ready to meet its high annual fee of $550 per year. You can also add authorized users to the card at a rate of $75 per year.
If you do not make your minimum payments by the due date, you will be charged a penalty APR of up to 29.99%. You’ll also pay the same rate for returned payments.
Balance Transfer Fee
The balance transfer fee for this card is $5 or 5% of the transaction amount. Typically, the largest amount of the two will be considered when computing the fee.
Cash advance Fee
The card also features a cash advance fee of $10 or 5% of the advance amount. That means if you take an advance of $300, you will pay a $15 fee.
In addition to this card, you may have other cards that are not listed in MoneyGeek’s analysis. Different people may choose different cards depending on several factors such as the fees, rewards and category-specific perks. If you are unsure about getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card, you can compare it with other MoneyGeek recommended travel cards. To obtain the necessary information for this comparison, you can check out your last billing statement or the provider’s mobile app or online account. You may also find some useful information on the credit card agreement database, which is maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card?
Other Considerations for Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
For travelers who are not planning to use the card for travel and dining, this card may not offer the best benefits and rewards.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
One of the essential factors to consider before making the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card your first card is your creditworthiness. If you do not have exceptionally good credit, you may need to consider other options. Also, while there is a signup bonus associated with the card, you will need to spend at least $4,000 within three months to qualify.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card benefits are substantial for travelers who dine out regularly, either in their home city or while traveling. If you want to get this card to supplement your other cards, consider the high annual fee of $550. However, with the Chase reward program, you may save on this fee by redeeming your points for dining and travel.
MoneyGeek’s credit card assessment process incorporates various detailed steps. For this research, MoneyGeek started by collecting essential credit card data from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau, then used this data to generate standard data points and spend profiles. We then listed the bonuses associated with each card. This information is then updated each month.
How Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card Compares to Other Cards
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card offers travelers some of the best perks and rewards despite its annual fees. Travelers with excellent credit can use the card to maximize their points and ensure maximum comfort during their trips. However, comparing it with another card can help you determine if it’s the best card for your wallet.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card vs Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card vs American Express® Gold Card
Quick Comparison of Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
- Annual fee: $550
- Purchase APR: 21.99% – 28.99% variable
- Signup Bonus: 60,000 points for $4,000 earned in the first three months
- Foreign transaction fee: $0
- Late Fee: $40
- Best For: Travelers seeking a card with a generous signup bonus.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Annual fee: $695
- Purchase APR: 20.99% – 28.99% variable
- Signup Bonus: 100,000 points for $6,000 spent within the first six months
- Foreign transaction fee: $0
- Late Fee: $40
- Best For: Those seeking a travel card with a higher signup bonus, lower APR and no foreign transaction fees.
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
When considering the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card, you may come across several frequently asked questions. Here are some answers to the most common customer questions.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
With the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card review from MoneyGeek, travelers can determine whether this card offers their ideal benefits and rewards. If you are still unsure of your decision to apply for this card, you can check out various other options that will give you cash back, gas rewards or general rewards.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Discover it® Miles
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express