Frequent business travelers using Delta may find the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card an ideal option. It comes with various travel perks and rewards, which can make up for the $250 annual fee. It also allows the cardholder to earn Medallion Qualification Miles, which they can use to boost their profiles to elite status.
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card Review
Individuals who frequently travel for business may find the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card a great tool to enjoy travel perks, quickly collect miles and make international purchases without worrying about high foreign transaction fees. The annual fee of $250 is relatively high compared with other travel and business credit cards. That said, maximizing the credit card issuer’s offers and rewards can help make up for this cost.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card at a Glance
Generally, the best credit card will vary depending on individual needs and financial situations. Individuals who frequently travel for business may look for a card that is best for international purchases. Others may prefer one that offers many travel perks and rewards. Consider the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card benefits when deciding whether it is right for you or not. It offers a 0% foreign transaction fee, many opportunities to earn miles, ways to collect points to reach a higher Delta status and more. However, it has a high annual fee and APR.
- American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
A great card for frequent business travelers who want to enjoy Delta travel perks and pursue elite status
- Good–ExcellentCredit Needed
- $250Annual Fee
- 1–3 Miles per $1Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 3xRewards Rate at Hotels
Pros & Cons Explained
While the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business offers benefits, it also comes with drawbacks.
- No foreign transaction feesDelta SkyMiles Platinum Business card holders do not have to worry about transaction fees for international purchases.
- Status boostPursuing elite status with Delta is easier with the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card. You can get 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM) if you spend $25,000 in purchases in a calendar year, up to two times per year.
- Earn milesMaking eligible purchases using this credit card lets you earn miles. Get 3x miles at hotels and on direct Delta purchases, 1.5x miles per dollar if you spend $5,000 or more in a single eligible purchase and one mile per dollar on other eligible purchases.
- Travel perksCardholders can get priority boarding and a free checked bag on every round-trip Delta flight. You can also get a domestic main cabin round-trip companion certificate every year upon renewal of the card.
- Welcome offerThe current welcome offer is set at 90,000 points, which is close to the highest it has ever been.
- High APRThe APR for purchases is 15.74%–24.74%. As for cash advances, the APR is 25.24%. The penalty APR for two or more late payments within a 12-month period, failure to pay the minimum payment on time and returned payments is 29.24%. These rates are relatively high and may lead to large expenses.
- High annual feeThe annual membership fee for the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card is $250.
- Payment for lounge accessDelta SkyMiles Platinum Business cardholders and two traveling companions can access SkyClub benefits like wifi access, satellite TV, magazines, private restrooms, complimentary snacks and beverages, and personalized flight assistance. However, it comes with a fee of $39 per person per flight.
For some credit card users, the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card benefits are enough. Others may not agree. To find the best card for you, consider your financial situation and needs. MoneyGeek came up with a selection of the best business credit cards. Check these out and compare them with the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Aside from the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card benefits, there are also multiple bonuses and rewards programs that you may find appealing. Here are some of them:
New cardholders can earn 90,000 bonus miles, 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and a $100 statement credit if they spend $3,000 in eligible purchases within the first three months.
Earn miles from purchases
Using this credit card to make eligible purchases is beneficial to the cardholder as it helps stack up miles, which can later be redeemed to make payments for flight tickets, seat upgrades and other transactions. Earn 3x miles at hotels and on Delta purchases, 1.5x miles if you spend $5,000 or more in a single eligible purchase and 1x miles for other eligible purchases.
Earn MQMs for a status boost
Getting elite status is easier with the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card. With every $25,000 you spend in purchases in a calendar year, you will earn 10,000 MQMs. You can get this bonus up to two times per year.
You can save up to 20% by using this credit card for eligible in-flight purchases.
Other Features Explained
You should also consider the other features the card offers. Compare these with other credit cards to make sure you are getting the most suitable card for your needs. Aside from the travel perks and earning opportunities, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card also offers security protection and customer support services.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Baggage insuranceThis credit card has baggage insurance, which protects cardholders against expenses related to lost, damaged or stolen baggage. To get coverage, you need to purchase the entire fare for a ticket using your Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card.
- Car rental loss and damage insuranceIf you pay for the entire vehicle rental and decline the collision damage waiver from the rental company, this insurance will provide coverage against damages to or theft of the rental vehicle. Make sure the rental vehicle is in a covered territory to get this secondary coverage.
- Extended warrantyCovered purchases in the U.S. or its territories will have an additional one-year warranty. This applies to items with manufacturer’s warranties of five years or less.
"There’s a Companion Pass available with this credit card. This is essentially a buy one get one free ticket for a domestic flight in the U.S. This alone can pay for the annual fee of the credit card." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Before you decide to apply for an American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card, make sure you are familiar with all features, rates, and associated fees. Keep the APR, transaction fees, and rewards rate in mind and compare them with other credit cards. This way, you have a better idea of which credit card would be most beneficial to you.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$250
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–3 Miles per $1
- Airline Benefits
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card has a high APR for purchases. It ranges between 15.74%–24.74%. The interest rate for cash advances is 25.24%, while the penalty APR is 29.24%. This penalty rate applies to account holders with two or more late payments within a 12-month period, those who do not pay the minimum amount on time and cardholders whose payments were returned by banks.
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card has an annual membership fee of $250. There are no foreign transaction fees. Other fees include the cash advance transaction fee of either $5 or 3%, whichever amount is greater. Late and returned payments come with up to $39 penalty fees.
You can earn miles by making eligible purchases. The rate is as follows:
- 3x miles for direct Delta purchases
- 3x miles at hotels
- 1.5x miles per dollar for a single eligible purchase of $5,000 or more
- 1x miles for other eligible purchases
When comparing credit cards, it is important to take note of the different features, rewards and bonuses. This way, you can determine which credit card will best serve your needs. If you already have a credit card in your wallet, you can learn more about its features through your latest billing statement, mobile app or online account. For most credit card issuers, information is available on their respective websites. Additionally, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau maintains a record of credit card agreements from various issuers.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
When looking for the best credit card, you have to consider how you plan on using it. You should also take into consideration APR rates and transaction fees.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
Using the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card as your first and only card makes sense for business travelers who frequently use Delta. You can enjoy travel perks and earn miles for your purchases. However, you may not want to use it for big purchases if you do not think you can pay your bills in full every month due to the high APR.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
As an additional card in your wallet, the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card can be beneficial by choosing when to use it. If you want to earn miles at hotels and Delta flights, this may be a great tool. Additionally, you can assign your international purchases to this credit card since it does not have foreign transaction fees. However, you may need a different card for balance transfers. For such transactions, a credit card with a lower APR or those that have long introductory promos may be a better choice.
In reviewing credit cards and companies, MoneyGeek uses a methodology and review process that uses information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database and the credit card companies themselves. To select the best options for each category, MoneyGeek evaluates standardized data points based on fees, bonuses and rewards, and also considers estimated average spend profiles. To ensure the accuracy of data, this process is conducted monthly reflecting any changes in credit card details and offers.
How American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card Compares to Other Cards
As a miles rewards card, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card can compete with other credit cards in the same category. It offers a 0% foreign transaction fee and multiple ways to earn miles. However, it may have a higher APR and annual fee compared to other cards.
Quick Comparison of American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
- Annual Fee: $250
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- APR for purchases: 15.74%–24.74%
- Welcome Bonuses: Earn 60,000 bonus miles, 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles and a $100 statement credit if you spend $3,000 within the first three months
- Best For: Frequent business travelers who want to enjoy Delta travel perks and pursue an elite status
Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Annual Fee: $95
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- APR for purchases: 15.99%–22.99%
- Welcome Bonuses: Earn 100,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 in purchases in the first three months
- Best For: Travelers looking for a card with no foreign transaction fees and comprehensive travel coverage
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
When choosing a credit card, it is important to understand all features, fees and terms. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card is an ideal option for some business travelers looking for travel perks and opportunities to earn miles. However, if you are looking for a credit card for a different purpose, look for other choices. For instance, other cards may be better as cash back cards or rewards cards.
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase United Gateway
Chase Ink Business Cash
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Capital One Spark Miles
Mastercard Titanium Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Chase United Explorer
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Credit Card." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card Application Terms and Conditions." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- Chase. "Chase Sapphire Preferred Card." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- Chase. "Chase Sapphire Preferred Card Pricing & Terms." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. "Credit Card Agreement Database." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2020 J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed September 4, 2021.