The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Individuals who frequently travel for business may find the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card a great tool to enjoy travel perks, quickly collect miles and make international purchases without worrying about high foreign transaction fees. The annual fee of $250 is relatively high compared with other travel and business credit cards. That said, maximizing the credit card issuer’s offers and rewards can help make up for this cost.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card at a Glance
Generally, the best credit card will vary depending on individual needs and financial situations. Individuals who frequently travel for business may look for a card that is best for international purchases. Others may prefer one that offers many travel perks and rewards. Consider the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card benefits when deciding whether it is right for you or not. It offers a 0% foreign transaction fee, many opportunities to earn miles, ways to collect points to reach a higher Delta status and more. However, it has a high annual fee and APR.
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
A great card for frequent business travelers who want to enjoy Delta travel perks and pursue elite status
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $250Annual Fee
- 1–3 Miles per $1Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 3xRewards Rate at Hotels
Pros & Cons Explained
While the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business offers benefits, it also comes with drawbacks.
- No foreign transaction feesDelta SkyMiles Platinum Business card holders do not have to worry about transaction fees for international purchases.
- Status boostPursuing elite status with Delta is easier with the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card. You can get 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM) if you spend $25,000 in purchases in a calendar year, up to two times per year.
- Earn milesMaking eligible purchases using this credit card lets you earn miles. Get 3x miles at hotels and on direct Delta purchases, 1.5x miles per dollar if you spend $5,000 or more in a single eligible purchase and one mile per dollar on other eligible purchases.
- Travel perksCardholders can get priority boarding and a free checked bag on every round-trip Delta flight. You can also get a domestic main cabin round-trip companion certificate every year upon renewal of the card.
- Welcome offerThe welcome offer for new cardholders lets you earn 95,000 Bonus Miles if you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months, which is close to the highest it has ever been. The offer expires on 3/29/23.
- High APRThe APR for purchases is 20.24% – 29.24%. As for cash advances, the APR is 29.74%. The penalty APR for two or more late payments within a 12-month period, failure to pay the minimum payment on time and returned payments is 29.99%. These rates are relatively high and may lead to large expenses.
- High annual feeThe annual membership fee for the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card is $250.
- Payment for lounge accessDelta SkyMiles Platinum Business cardholders and two traveling companions can access SkyClub benefits like wifi access, satellite TV, magazines, private restrooms, complimentary snacks and beverages, and personalized flight assistance. However, it comes with a fee of $39 per person per flight.
For some credit card users, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card benefits are enough. Others may not agree. To find the best card for you, consider your financial situation and needs. MoneyGeek came up with a selection of the best business credit cards. Check these out and compare them with the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Aside from the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card benefits, there are also multiple bonuses and rewards programs that you may find appealing. Here are some of them:
New cardholders can earn 95,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months. The offer expires on 03/29/2023.
Earn miles from purchases
Using this credit card to make eligible purchases is beneficial to the cardholder as it helps stack up miles, which can later be redeemed to make payments for flight tickets, seat upgrades and other transactions. Earn 3x miles at hotels and on Delta purchases, 1.5x miles if you spend $5,000 or more in a single eligible purchase and 1x miles for other eligible purchases.
Earn MQMs for a status boost
Getting elite status is easier with the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card. With every $25,000 you spend in purchases in a calendar year, you will earn 10,000 MQMs. You can get this bonus up to two times per year.
You can save up to 20% by using this credit card for eligible in-flight purchases.
Other Features Explained
You should also consider the other features the card offers. Compare these with other credit cards to make sure you are getting the most suitable card for your needs. Aside from the travel perks and earning opportunities, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business Card also offers security protection and customer support services.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Baggage insuranceThis credit card has baggage insurance, which protects cardholders against expenses related to lost, damaged or stolen baggage. To get coverage, you need to purchase the entire fare for a ticket using your Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card.
- Car rental loss and damage insuranceIf you pay for the entire vehicle rental and decline the collision damage waiver from the rental company, this insurance will provide coverage against damages to or theft of the rental vehicle. Make sure the rental vehicle is in a covered territory to get this secondary coverage.
- Extended warrantyCovered purchases in the U.S. or its territories will have an additional one-year warranty. This applies to items with manufacturer’s warranties of five years or less.
"There’s a Companion Pass available with this credit card. This is essentially a buy one get one free ticket for a domestic flight in the U.S. This alone can pay for the annual fee of the credit card." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Before you decide to apply for an American Express Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business Card, make sure you are familiar with all features, rates, and associated fees. Keep the APR, transaction fees, and rewards rate in mind and compare them with other credit cards. This way, you have a better idea of which credit card would be most beneficial to you.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR20.74% – 29.74% Variable
- Annual Fee$250
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–3 Miles per $1
- Airline Benefits
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card has a high APR for purchases. It ranges between 20.24% – 29.24%. The interest rate for cash advances is 29.74%, while the penalty APR is 29.99%. This penalty rate applies to account holders with two or more late payments within a 12-month period, those who do not pay the minimum amount on time and cardholders whose payments were returned by banks.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card has an annual membership fee of $250. There are no foreign transaction fees. Other fees include the cash advance transaction fee of either $5 or 3%, whichever amount is greater. Late and returned payments come with up to $39 penalty fees.
You can earn miles by making eligible purchases. The rate is as follows:
- 3x miles for direct Delta purchases
- 3x miles at hotels
- 1.5x miles per dollar for a single eligible purchase of $5,000 or more
- 1x miles for other eligible purchases
When comparing credit cards, it is important to take note of the different features, rewards and bonuses. This way, you can determine which credit card will best serve your needs. If you already have a credit card in your wallet, you can learn more about its features through your latest billing statement, mobile app or online account. For most credit card issuers, information is available on their respective websites. Additionally, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau maintains a record of credit card agreements from various issuers.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card?
Other Considerations for Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
When looking for the best credit card, you have to consider how you plan on using it. You should also take into consideration APR rates and transaction fees.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
Using the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card as your first and only card makes sense for business travelers who frequently use Delta. You can enjoy travel perks and earn miles for your purchases. However, you may not want to use it for big purchases if you do not think you can pay your bills in full every month due to the high APR.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
As an additional card in your wallet, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card can be beneficial by choosing when to use it. If you want to earn miles at hotels and Delta flights, this may be a great tool. Additionally, you can assign your international purchases to this credit card since it does not have foreign transaction fees. However, you may need a different card for balance transfers. For such transactions, a credit card with a lower APR or those that have long introductory promos may be a better choice.
In reviewing credit cards and companies, MoneyGeek uses a methodology and review process that uses information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database and the credit card companies themselves. To select the best options for each category, MoneyGeek evaluates standardized data points based on fees, bonuses and rewards, and also considers estimated average spend profiles. To ensure the accuracy of data, this process is conducted monthly reflecting any changes in credit card details and offers.
How Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card Compares to Other Cards
As a miles rewards card, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card can compete with other credit cards in the same category. It offers a 0% foreign transaction fee and multiple ways to earn miles. However, it may have a higher APR and annual fee compared to other cards.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card vs Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card vs Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
Quick Comparison of Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Annual Fee: $250
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- APR for purchases: 20.24% – 29.24% Variable
- Welcome Bonuses: Earn 95,000 bonus miles if you spend $4,000 within the first three months. The offer expires on 03/29/2023.
- Best For: Frequent business travelers who want to enjoy Delta travel perks and pursue an elite status
Chase Sapphire Preferred® card
- Annual Fee: $95
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- APR for purchases: 20.49% – 27.49% variable
- Welcome Bonuses: Earn 60,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 in purchases in the first three months
- Best For: Travelers looking for a card with no foreign transaction fees and comprehensive travel coverage
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
When choosing a credit card, it is important to understand all features, fees and terms. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card is an ideal option for some business travelers looking for travel perks and opportunities to earn miles. However, if you are looking for a credit card for a different purpose, look for other choices. For instance, other cards may be better as cash back cards or rewards cards.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Discover it® Miles
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
United℠ Explorer Card
USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Secured Card
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Credit Card." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card Application Terms and Conditions." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- Chase. "Chase Sapphire Preferred Card." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- Chase. "Chase Sapphire Preferred Card Pricing & Terms." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. "Credit Card Agreement Database." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2020 J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed September 4, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.