For drivers wanting full coverage, State Auto offers many coverage options so you can tailor your policy to your personal needs. However, if you want a reliable company with high customer satisfaction ratings across the board, this may not be the company for you.
Auto Insurance Review: State Auto
Providing auto insurance since 1921, State Auto serves drivers in 33 states with a full range of car insurance options. However, recent customer complaints detail a lack of customer service, potentially deterring drivers who are looking for reliable customer satisfaction.
How Does State Auto Auto Insurance Rate?
When examining ratings and rankings from such sources as the Better Business Bureau and AM Best, State Auto holds its own against competing car insurance companies. However, a look at recent customer reviews and the company doesn’t receive high praise for honoring claims.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to the Better Business Bureau, State Auto Insurance has a BBB rating of A+. However, that rating doesn’t take into account customer reviews, which, on the BBB website, has an average of just one star. The overwhelming reason for those reviews is a lack of customer satisfaction in claims resolutions.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Every year, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) logs complaints against car insurance companies to see how companies compare to one another. The national median complaint ratio is 1. State Auto has a complaint ratio of 1.6. This ratio means that State Auto receives more complaints than most other insurance companies in the nation.
To determine how well a car insurance company fulfills its financial obligations to its customers, AM Best reviews and rates each company’s financial strength. State Auto has received an AM Best rating of A-.
State Auto Insurance Features
State Auto is available in three levels so customers can customize their policy to get the car insurance coverage they want. The company also offers a number of enhancements and discounts to provide added value to your policy.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online ClaimsGo online at any time to submit a claim or make a payment.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
State Auto offers additional options to expand your coverage benefits with these enhancements:
- Type of OptionDescription
- Roadside AssistanceAny time you experience car trouble such as a flat tire, run out of gas or lock the keys in the car, this benefit will cover the costs.
- Accident ForgivenessAvoid rate increases in the event of a speeding ticket or car accident if you maintain a clean record for 35 consecutive months.
- Auto Glass RepairIn the event that your car windows are damaged outside of a car accident, this benefit will pay for the repairs.
- Extended BenefitsThis single bundle of extra coverage protects your pet, reimburses rental car expenses, replaces personal property and more.
Available Discounts on State Auto Car Insurance Coverage
To help their customers keep rates low, State Auto offers discounts, including multi-car, good student for teen drivers and anti-theft discounts. Always shop around to ensure that you’re getting the coverage that works for you, at a price that fits within your budget.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverGet rewarded for safe driving behavior.
- Driver TrainingFor drivers younger than 21 years old, complete a driver education course for this discount. Accident Prevention Course - Complete an accident prevention course to save on your car insurance.
- Good StudentFull-time students maintaining a B (3.0) average can receive a discount.
- Multi VehicleGet extra savings when you have two or more vehicles on your policy.
- Anti TheftReceive extra savings for having specific safety features in your car.
Other State Auto Insurance Products
State Auto provides more than just car insurance. They offer additional insurance options.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceProtect your home, personal property and more with this coverage.
- Renters InsuranceWorks like condo insurance, but applies to those renting an apartment.
- Umbrella InsuranceThis insurance provides additional coverage beyond the limits of your existing coverage.
- Condo InsuranceThis coverage is for losses of personal property, personal liability and other losses and expenses related to your condo.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With State Auto
With State Auto, you can file a claim on the website or call the claims number to talk with your personal agent. Make sure you have your policy information and details about your accident handy when you call.
Contact State Auto Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "State Auto Ins Co of Ohio Customer Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 30, 2020.
- Better Business Bureau. "State Auto Insurance." Accessed April 5, 2020.