AAA is available to many drivers across the country, and the company is equipped to handle basic car insurance needs. AAA insurance will be best for those who already have a membership, require basic car insurance and prefer a somewhat hands-off approach to their policy.
Auto Insurance Review: AAA
For those who want to take full advantage of their AAA membership, auto insurance through AAA can be a good option, offering a solid lineup of coverages and discounts. However, because AAA consists of many regional offshoots, the offerings can vary widely from location to location. So you’ll want to look into your location’s options before deciding on this insurance provider.
How Does AAA Auto Insurance Rate?
Due to AAA’s network-like structure for auto insurance, it’s difficult to determine if it could rank alongside some of the best car insurance options. For example, AAA auto insurance companies have been rated by companies like J.D. Power and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), with average to above-average results, respectively. AM Best looked at the financial strength of AAA which scored an “A” rating.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Customer Complaint Ratio
The NAIC rates companies based on the number of average annual complaints as a way to gauge customer satisfaction. The national median is 1, and a lower score represents fewer average complaints. It's difficult to pin down AAA's overall customer satisfaction since it doesn’t have a comprehensive rating. That's because it’s split into several insurers that vary based on location.
For context, CSAA, a AAA insurer which covers some areas in the mid-Atlantic as well as some western states, scored 0, while the Automobile Club Group — which spans 11 states primarily located on the eastern half of the country, as well as Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands — scored 0.14. MoneyGeek determined AAA's NAIC average score to be 0.58.
AM Best ranks insurance companies on their financial strength in order to determine how likely it is that they are able to pay out on claims made by customers. AAA’s “A” rating indicates that it’s stable, meaning the insurer is in a solid position to be able to meet the needs of its customers. However, keep in mind that this is not a warranty or guarantee of longevity.
AAA Insurance Features
AAA insurance is a membership-based option which connects customers with insurers, rather than providing insurance itself. Available options depend on where you live. For that reason, it’s difficult to know exactly what you’re getting unless you look into your regional insurance option under AAA. To do that and see your location-specific options, you’d need to enter your zip code when visiting their site.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- OtherVehicle Services at AAA Branches: Some locations may offer additional services for vehicles. Car repair discounts allow customers to save money on car repairs via the AAA membership.
- Mobile AppAccess your membership card and proof of insurance, in addition to accessing other perks of membership.
AAA Auto Coverage
Your available coverages may vary depending on where you’re located. But the following are a few basic coverage types you will likely encounter with AAA.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCovers physical damage to your vehicle caused by a collision.
- Personal Injury ProtectionCovers basic expenses related to an accident.
- UninsuredProtection in the event you get in an accident with someone who doesn’t have car insurance.
- LiabilityCoverage for property damages or injuries caused by your vehicle.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
The options that are included with a basic policy may vary, so some features may be optional, and some of these coverages may be included, depending on where you live. Some coverage options may not be available to all.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementProvides cash to cover the costs of renting while your car is in the shop.
- Roadside Assistance24-hour assistance if your car breaks down.
- Medical PaymentsCoverage for medical costs for you and your passengers.
Available Discounts on AAA Car Insurance Coverage
Discount offerings with AAA auto insurance companies may vary based on location. But there are a few discounts and money-saving options you may encounter.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverSave money by proving you are a good driver.
- Good StudentSave money by proving your young driver's academic prowess.
- Multi VehicleSave money by insuring more than one car with AAA.
- LoyaltyProvides a discount for those who stay with AAA for more than one year.
- Multi PolicySave money by insuring a home and a car, with the same company.
Other AAA Insurance Products
Your options may be more or less limited by your location. But if you’re able to get another type of insurance through AAA, in addition to your auto policy, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceProtects homeowners against damage or theft.
- Life InsuranceProvides compensation in the event of the policyholder’s death.
- Business InsuranceCoverage against lawsuits as well as protection for your business property and vehicles, and employees.
- Travel InsuranceCovers trip cancellations and interruptions as well as emergency medical coverage.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With AAA
Your options for reporting may depend on your location, but in general, there will be a claims phone number for your AAA insurer, which you’d be able to call to report a claim.
Contact AAA Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- J.D. Power. "J.D. Power Auto Insurance Customer Satisfaction Survey, 2019." Accessed March 17, 2020.
- NAIC. "NAIC Consumer Information Source Index, 2019: CSAA Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 27, 2020.
- NAIC. "NAIC Consumer Information Source Index, 2019: Auto Club Group Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 27, 2020.
- A.M. Best. "A.M. Best Rating Services Credit Rating, American Family Insurance Company." Accessed March 17, 2020.