State Farm Auto Insurance Review: Quotes and Service (2022)
State Farm is a top-rated auto insurer, scoring 81 out of 100 in MoneyGeek's rating system. State Farm has an excellent record for complaints, financial stability and discounts. However, it has an average satisfaction and affordability rating. Drivers who want minimum or full coverage, have a speeding ticket or are young find State Farm’s rates inexpensive.
Compare Auto Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your auto insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
State Farm has an average customer satisfaction rating and above-average complaints reputation. In terms of cost, State Farm is inexpensive for most types of drivers, including teen drivers and drivers with a traffic violation.
MoneyGeek has researched the best car insurance companies and developed resources to help you determine the cheapest car insurance companies in the United States, which includes details on State Farm and its competitors. To compare State Farm with other insurers, you can also use our auto insurance comparison tool.
How Does State Farm Rank for Customer Service?
As the car insurance provider with the largest market share across the country, State Farm holds a high rank among its competitors. According to AM Best, State Farm ranks high among providers for financial stability. That quality alone makes it one of the best car insurance companies in the nation.
While State Farm offers an array of discounts for drivers who meet specific thresholds, it also receives a significant number of complaints, which translates to an average customer satisfaction score.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Based on data provided by J.D. Power, State Farm receives a score of 878 out of 1,000 points for customer satisfaction. Considering that the industry average is 835 points, State Farm's reputation in this area is slightly above that of a typical insurer. J.D. Power data was also integrated into these star ratings, giving you a feel for their reputation in some more specific categories.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) tracks the number of complaints issued against insurance providers. Scores are obtained by comparing an insurer’s number of complaints to the default national median of 1.00. A lower score indicates fewer complaints. State Farm car insurance company has a score of 1.28, meaning that the company receives more complaints than most insurance companies in the country.
State Farm Auto Insurance Quotes: How Much Does it Cost?
MoneyGeek gathered auto insurance quotes from all 50 states and the District of Columbia where State Farm is operational and averaged them for sample drivers. Based on our analysis, in the areas where the company does business, State Farm is inexpensive for auto insurance; a policy costs $1,235 per year on average.
When shopping for the cheapest auto insurance company, it is best to compare quotes from several providers. However, reputation, customer satisfaction, and other factors are important to consider as well as the cost of auto insurance when choosing an insurer.
Average Annual Cost of Car Insurance with State Farm versus National Average
Scroll for more
- Driver TypeState Farm Average RateNational Average
- Full Coverage$1,235$1,379
- Minimum Coverage$660$728
- Speeding Ticket on Record$1,503$1,767
- 18-Year-Old Driver$3,280$4,866
Is State Farm Car Insurance Expensive or Cheap? Why?
State Farm car insurance is generally inexpensive for a typical driver with full coverage, minimum coverage or a traffic violation. Young drivers are not left out either — State Farm gives them cheap auto insurance, too.
Insurance companies aren’t always transparent with their rating calculation methodology. Your credit score, driving record, age and location can all affect the price. In spite of this, State Farm’s rates are generally low, providing cheap auto insurance for all types of drivers and coverage limits.
Discounts Offered by State Farm That Can Help You Save
Even though State Farm’s car insurance rates are, on average, inexpensive, discounts can drive policy rates even lower.
State Farm offers some of the most prevalent auto insurance discounts, including bundling, multiple vehicle, safe driving, anti-theft system, defensive driving and airbag discounts. However, it lacks some of the most common discounts, such as pay-in-full and paperless.
One of the reasons State Farm is great for young drivers is that it offers a discount for completing a driver’s education course before age 21 and a good student discount. For drivers with a car from 1994 or later, a discount on medical payments is available.
Compare State Farm Directly With Other Car Insurance Companies
MoneyGeek offers resources to help you compare State Farm to other major insurance companies in your state to help you choose the best car insurance provider. Our comparison tool can show you how State Farm compares in terms of customer service, cost and standout coverages. Furthermore, our tool can connect you to resources that allow you to compare State Farm to its competitors.
Does State Farm Offer Broad or Unique Coverage?
State Farm offers standard coverages such as liability insurance, comprehensive and collision insurance, like most insurers. And State Farm offers some of the most typical auto insurance add-on coverages: roadside assistance and rental car and/or travel reimbursement. However, it does not offer other common coverages, such as accident forgiveness, new car replacement, gap insurance, deductible modification or better car replacement.
State Farm does not offer any unique coverage, but for people who need rideshare insurance, it is available through the company.
What Online Auto Insurance Tools Does State Farm Offer?
To meet customer needs adequately, State Farm provides various online support tools and policy account management frameworks for filing claims, paying bills and calculating insurance rates. Besides working with an agent to manage your policy, you can also access all available services online or through the State Farm app.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Price QuotesReceive real-time price quotes through the State Farm website.
- Online Bill PayPay your bills through the State Farm website or mobile app.
- Online ClaimsFiling a claim can be done through an agent, on the State Farm website, or through the mobile app. You can also initiate claims over the phone.
- Mobile AppThe mobile app has several tools and FAQs available to help you manage your insurance policy effectively.
- Financial AdviceInformation and other financial resources are available on the State Farm website in the form of FAQs. These are also available on the mobile app.
Other State Farm Insurance Products
On top of car insurance, State Farm insurance provides several other policies, such as homeowners and renters insurance. Bundling your auto insurance with a different insurance type can save you a significant percentage of your premium.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceProtect your home, personal property and other valuable items from damage with the homeowners insurance coverage.
- Renters InsuranceIf you stay in a rental property, you can get coverage for your personal property such as electronics, furniture and clothing using this coverage.
- Condo InsuranceState Farm condominium unit owners insurance covers personal property losses due to theft, fire, and other weather and non-weather related incidents.
- Landlord InsuranceRental property insurance is for property owners. It covers property that you rent out and helps pay for any injury, property damage and liability claims made against you.
- Rideshare InsuranceState Farm offers competitive Rideshare insurance coverage for drivers who work with a ridesharing company like Uber or Lyft.
AM Best evaluates the financial strength of an insurance company to determine if it is capable of fulfilling its financial commitment to clients. State Farm received an AM Best financial strength rating of A++, which is also the highest among all auto insurance companies surveyed.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With State Farm
If you have a State Farm insurance policy, the easiest way to initiate a claim is through the company website. Once you log in, go to the claims section and provide details about your accident to get started.
You can also use the State Farm mobile app, call the company’s claims line or contact your agent directly. Ensure that you have your policy information ready before initiating a claim.
Contact State Farm Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- J.D. Power. "Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Reaches Record High as Carriers Refine Time-Consuming Processes, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed January 5, 2021.
- Insurance Information Institute. "Top 10 Writers of Private Passenger Auto Insurance By Direct Premiums Written, 2019." Accessed January 5, 2021.