American Family’s car insurance is best suited to those who live within one of the 19 states it serves and for individuals who value a wide array of insurance options and features. Due to its overall offerings, it could provide a solid option for many types of customers, specifically because of the depth of discounts available.
Auto Insurance Review: American Family
American Family Insurance’s main draw is choice. There are many insurance types, coverages and customer support features available from the company. They also give customers many opportunities to get discounts on their policy. However, American Family Insurance's car insurance is only available in 19 states, which leaves out many Americans. But, for those who live in a state which the company serves, American Family could be a solid option.
How Does American Family Auto Insurance Rate?
American Family Insurance has been rated by companies like J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) with fair-to-excellent results in the areas of customer satisfaction and financial stability. So, for those who highly value those aspects in an insurer, American Family Insurance may be a somewhat compelling option.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to J.D. Power’s most recent auto insurance customer satisfaction study, American Family Insurance has an average score when it comes to factors like overall satisfaction, repair process and claims servicing.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The NAIC provides another avenue for gauging customer satisfaction in the form of its complaints index which ranks companies based on their average complaints received in a given year. The national median complaint ratio is 1. So, by comparison, American Family Insurance comes out in a better position, with fewer complaints, at 0.55.
AM Best ranks insurance companies based on their financial strength and provides a way to gauge their ability to pay in the event of a claim. According to their rankings, American Family Insurance earns an “A” rating, meaning that it has a solid financial standing and is stable enough to honor its obligations to customers. Keep in mind, however, that this is an estimate, rather than a warranty.
American Family Insurance Features
American Family Insurance is robust. Their features include everything from their customer support features to their auto coverage options, discounts and other insurance options. Even for those with more complex insurance needs, there are plenty of options to go around.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Price QuotesYou can get a personalized quote through their website.
- Online Bill PayCustomers can pay bills with the app or via the robust online account portal.
- Online ClaimsAs with the app, customers can file claims through their online account on a desktop PC.
- Mobile AppCustomers can use the MyAmFam app (available for Android and iPhone devices) to pay their bills, file a claim and view documents.
American Family Auto Coverage
The more basic auto insurance coverages required by law will vary depending on where you live. But the following coverages are some you might find with American Family.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionProtection against collision or rollover damages.
- Personal Injury ProtectionHelps reimburse you and your passengers for any lost income as well as medical or child-care costs.
- UninsuredApplies if you get in a car accident with someone who doesn’t have insurance.
- LiabilityCovers you if you cause a car accident resulting in injury to someone else. Covers you in the event that your vehicle causes damage to someone’s property.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
American Family Insurance offers an array of insurance options and coverages beyond car insurance. These options fall into three main categories of coverage: other types of vehicles, property and business insurance, and added protection. The wide-ranging nature of their options can make it easier to bundle your policies together, which can help you save money — though it’s always still worth shopping around to see if you can get a lower total cost by diversifying your insurers.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementHelps pay for your rental car while your car is being repaired.
- Roadside AssistanceProvides assistance if your car breaks down, leaving you stranded.
- Gap CoverageCovers the gap between your leased car’s worth and what you owe if it’s totaled.
- Accidental Death DismembermentCoverage that helps pay in the event of death or certain injuries from a collision.
- Medical PaymentsHelps pay for medical care for the policyholder as well as passengers in the event of an accident.
Available Discounts on American Family Car Insurance Coverage
American Family Insurance’s car insurance discount options are quite extensive. Discounts can apply based on driver safety, young drivers getting good grades and more.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverFor drivers without accidents, violations or claims.
- Defensive DriverGet a 5% to 10% discount if you are at least 55 years old and complete an approved defensive driving course. (Limited availability.)
- Driver TrainingGet a discount when you sign up for KnowYourDrive, a program that helps you learn better driving habits and perform well during evaluation periods. (Limited availability.) Teen drivers also can get a discount by completing a safe-driving program.
- Good StudentSave on your premium by showing a good academic track record.
- Multi VehicleAdd more than one car to your auto policy to save.
Other American Family Insurance Products
American Family Insurance offers an array of insurance options and coverages beyond car insurance. The wide-ranging nature of the options can make it easier to bundle policies together, which can help you save money — though it’s still worth shopping around to see if you can get a lower total cost by diversifying your insurers.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceProtection against property damage and theft for homeowners. Also available: Dwelling, personal property, liability and medical coverages for those who own a manufactured home.
- Renters InsuranceCovers your possessions. It also includes liability coverage for medical bills and lawsuits.
- Umbrella InsuranceAn extra layer of protection for some of your existing insurance policies, like car or home insurance.
- Condo InsuranceProtection for your valuables as well as against lawsuits if someone were to injure themselves in your unit.
- Landlord InsuranceProtection for landlords in the event of property damage. It can also include liability protection and medical expense coverage.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With American Family
You can file a claim with American Family Insurance via the MyAmFam app or through a desktop PC, which the company notes are the fastest ways to do it. The app gives you the opportunity to upload photos of vehicle damages, find local repair shops and rent a car. Alternatively, you could opt to call their toll-free claims number.
Contact American Family Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- J.D. Power. "J.D. Power Auto Insurance Customer Satisfaction Study, 2019." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- NAIC. "NAIC Consumer Information Source Index, 2019." Accessed March 19, 2020.
- A.M. Best. "A.M. Best Rating Services Credit Rating, American Family Insurance Company." Accessed March 19, 2020.