Allstate auto insurance is ideal for drivers who prefer to use digital and mobile tools and want access to a wide network of agents and repair shops. However, its costs may be a bit on the high side compared to the competition. This provider has been around since 1931 and is one of the most popular insurers in America today.
Auto Insurance Review: Allstate
How Does Allstate Auto Insurance Rate?
Allstate ranks eighth on MoneyGeek’s list of the best car insurance companies with a score of 82 out of 100 points. MoneyGeek incorporated ratings and reviews from industry standards like the NAIC, AM Best and J.D. Power for its ranking. Allstate is a great choice for teen drivers as it offers a range of discounts for this group.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to data from J.D. Power, Allstate received a customer satisfaction score of 829 out of 1,000. The industry average is 835, so Allstate's ranking is roughly equivalent to the typical auto insurance company. J.D. Power's rankings also influenced these category-specific star ratings.
Customer Complaint Ratio
As per the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint ratio report, Allstate’s score is 1.88. The national median is 1.00, which indicates that Allstate has a higher number of complaints than an average company.
According to AM Best, Allstate has an A+ (superior) financial strength rating. This rating opinion only indicates a provider’s ability to meet payment obligations and should not be considered a measure of an insurer’s overall financial strength.
Allstate Insurance Features
Allstate offers a wide range of innovative coverage features and online tools. On its website, you can access a section named “Bumper-to-Bumper Basics,” which is an interactive online guide to car insurance. You should ideally shop for car insurance quotes from multiple carriers to get the best coverage at an affordable rate.
Allstate offers helpful features on its website such as a rate calculator, mobile app, bill payment and claim reporting.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsAllstate offers a car payment calculator on its website that shows the premium amount you need to pay monthly.
- Online Price QuotesYou can set your location by entering your ZIP code to get a quick quote online.
- Online Bill PayYou can create an online account and pay your bills on Allstate’s website.
- Online ClaimsYou can file and track your claim online.
- Payment OptionsYou can select from an array of payment options and pay your bill online.
Allstate Auto Coverage
Allstate’s standard coverage includes liability (bodily injury and property damage), collision, comprehensive, uninsured and underinsured motorist, medical expense, personal injury protection and glass coverage.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionAllstate offers collision coverage with a deductible of up to $1,000.
- Personal Injury ProtectionA Personal Umbrella Policy (PUP) is available for $1 million to $5 million of coverage.
- UninsuredThis coverage protects you in case of an accident with a driver with little or no insurance. Allstate recommends that you get the same level of protection for this potential event as bodily liability coverage.
- LiabilityBodily injury coverage has limits for per-person and per-incident claims, from state minimum levels up to $250,000/$500,000. You can set the property damage limit up to $2 million per accident.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Allstate car insurance’s optional features include roadside assistance, towing and labor, rental car reimbursement, sound system coverage, new car replacement coverage, new car repair provision coverage and gap coverage.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementGet reimbursement up to $100 per day to rent a car while your vehicle gets repaired.
- Roadside AssistanceRoadside assistance is limited to the first $100 of an incident. This feature has two other plans, a pay-per-use service program and a membership motor club.
- Auto Glass RepairAllstate’s Glass Claim Express process covers glass repair through a partnership with Safelite.
- New CarThis helps pay for repairs based on the vehicle’s replacement cost without considering depreciation.
- Gap CoverageGap (guaranteed asset protection) coverage shields a policyholder from having to make payments on a new car if it’s totaled in an accident.
Available Discounts on Allstate Car Insurance Coverage
To help policyholders get lower car insurance rates, Allstate provides a range of discounts, including savings for farmworkers, seniors, students and others.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Defensive DriverAllstate offers this discount to drivers aged 55 and older who complete a defensive driver course and have no at-fault claims or violations.
- Good StudentEligibility criteria for this discount are single, full-time students below age 25 who maintain good grades (at least a “B” average).
- New VehicleAllstate provides a discount of up to 30% for the original owner of a car that is less than two years old.
- Anti TheftThis insurer offers a discount of up to 10% for installing an anti-theft system in your car.
- Multi PolicyYou can save money by bundling your Allstate homeowners or renters policy with auto insurance.
Other Allstate Insurance Products
You can bundle different Allstate policies to get discounts. In addition to the cash savings, some customers appreciate the heightened convenience they experience by purchasing several insurance products from the same company.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceAllstate’s homeowners insurance grants access to a local agent, money-saving discounts and innovative tools.
- Renters InsuranceGet dependable coverage for the possessions in your rental unit at an affordable cost.
- Condo InsuranceCovered perils include water damage, vandalism, fire, smoke and theft.
- Flood InsuranceYou can buy a government-sponsored National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policy through an Allstate agent.
- Life InsuranceAllstate offers plans such as term life insurance, universal life insurance, whole life insurance and variable universal life insurance.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Allstate
You can file your claim through your agent during normal business hours, file and track it through Allstate’s 24/7 toll-free phone service or use their mobile app or online portal. After receiving your claim, Allstate will perform a damage assessment and provide you a repair estimate. You can then review the estimate and get your claim paid.
Contact Allstate Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- AM Best. "Allstate Assurance Company Profile." Accessed January 1, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey." Accessed January 1, 2021.
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Allstate Insurance Company National Complaint Index Report." Accessed January 1, 2021.