Progressive provides coverage to over 20 million drivers in the country and offers a wide range of insurance services. While Progressive car insurance may be a good option for tech-savvy and high-risk drivers, their customer reviews fall a little below average. If you’re looking for a large, reputable insurance carrier with innovative features, Progressive car insurance might be a good fit for you. However, those seeking cheaper options and stellar customer support might be better served elsewhere.
Auto Insurance Review: Progressive
Progressive brings excellent financial stability, great features and discounts and multiple coverage options to the table. However, they also have average customer service ratings, and can be more expensive than many of their competitors. Those looking for cheap car insurance rates might find that Progressive is not the best fit for their auto insurance needs.
How Does Progressive Auto Insurance Rate?
To evaluate insurance companies, MoneyGeek uses data from several reputable sources, including J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). Based on information from these sources, Progressive auto insurance is ranked third in MoneyGeek’s top ten list of the best car insurance companies in the country.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to data provided by J.D. Power, Progressive earns a customer satisfaction rating of 832 out of 1,000 points. The industry average score is 835, so Progressive's reputation in this area is roughly equivalent to a typical insurer. J.D. Power's data also informed these star ratings, showing how Progressive performs in several specific categories.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The NAIC catalogs user complaints and issues a Company Complaint Index comparing the median number of complaints against a company with the national median of 1. A score higher than 1 indicates higher customer complaints than average. Progressive gets a score of 1.33, indicating a slightly higher customer complaint rate than the national median.
The AM Best Financial Strength Rating is an indicator of the financial strength of a company and reflects its ability to pay claims. While this is not a warranty for policyholders, a financially sound provider is more likely to pay genuine claims without issues. Progressive gets an excellent score of A+ on this metric, reflecting its good fiduciary strength.
Progressive Insurance Features
While shopping for car insurance, it’s important to look at coverage options and special features to assess what’s right for your needs. Progressive brings several coverage options and features to the table, including the Snapshot program that rewards safe drivers, free bundled pet injury coverage and several ways to get quotes, including an innovative Name Your Price tool.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsCalculate your rates by entering your information or current coverage level.
- Online Price QuotesProgressive’s website and mobile app have multiple options to get quotes, including a Name Your Price tool.
- Online Bill PayEasy online bill payment through the mobile app and company website.
- Online ClaimsClaims can be filed online using the website or mobile app.
- Mobile AppAllows customers to get quotes, report claims, manage policies and request roadside assistance.
Progressive Auto Coverage
Progressive is a full coverage car insurance provider offering state-mandated liability car insurance and other basic insurance options, along with several other coverage options. Customers can easily pick and choose to create a plan or enter a budget and receive a personalized policy that fits their budget.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionPays to repair or replace your vehicle after a collision. Progressive also includes pet insurance with collision coverage.
- Personal Injury ProtectionCovers medical payments after an injury, as well as reimbursements for non-medical expenses, like lost wages.
- UninsuredYou can choose from several levels of coverage to ensure financial reimbursement for uninsured or underinsured motorists.
- LiabilityLiablity combinations that include bodily injury and property damage cover are available.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Progressive car insurance has an extensive list of optional coverage and features you can use to augment your policy. For example, Progressive offers rideshare insurance in several states.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementPays for car rentals when the insured vehicle is under repairs.
- Roadside AssistanceIncludes several roadside assistance options that cover towing and labor. Roadside assistance can be activated using the mobile app.
- Accident ForgivenessClaims under $500 do not affect premiums. Large accident claims do not affect premiums for customers with five or more years of tenure and three accident-free years.
- Gap CoverageProgressive will pay up to 25% over an insured vehicle's actual cash value if it is totaled to cover a lease or loan.
Available Discounts on Progressive Car Insurance Coverage
Progressive offers a range of special discounts you can use to lower your premiums. Of particular note is the Snapshots program, an opt-in program that tracks driver behavior for six months and rewards safe drivers with discounts.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverThe Snapshots program awards safe drivers. There is an introductory discount for signing up.
- Good StudentHigh school and college students with good grades may be eligible for a discount.
- Multi VehicleYou can save up to 12% on average if you insure two or more vehicles with Progressive.
- Multi PolicyYou can receive an average discount of up to 5% when you combine two or more Progressive insurance policies.
- Auto PayAutomatically debits payments on time and comes with a discount.
Other Progressive Insurance Products
Progressive offers several other insurance products, including homeowners and renters insurance, commercial and recreational vehicles insurance and health insurance. Bundling these together could help you save money and get lower rates.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceIncludes dwelling insurance, loss of use coverage, liability insurance and more. Customers can also include coverage for other structures, medical cost coverage and optional coverage for legal costs.
- Renters InsuranceIncludes personal property protection, loss of use coverage and personal liability insurance. The Enhanced Coverage package also includes personal injury protection at a small added cost.
- Life InsuranceComprehensive life insurance options that provide a death benefit to a loved one.
- Classic Car InsuranceOffers insurance for classic cars, sports cars and exotic cars with value up to $150,000.
- Recreational Vehicle InsuranceCovers a range of recreational vehicles like motorcycles, golf carts, RVs, trailers, snowmobiles, boats and Segways.