Kemper leaves a bit to be desired to the average customer. It’s not available in all states and its customer support features are a bit lackluster. Still, it may provide an option to those who value discounts and the opportunities to bundle their policies.
Auto Insurance Review: Kemper
Kemper’s car insurance product is something of a mixed bag, especially for those who want a flexible, modern insurance experience. The biggest drawbacks are the negative customer satisfaction ratings associated with the company, and the generally lackluster offerings, including the basic coverages and customer support options. It’s also not a national car insurance option, so about half the country will not be able to get car insurance with Kemper. But for those who live within Kemper’s coverage areas, and are looking for companies that offer a decent amount of discount opportunities, it could be an option worth considering, particularly if you’re having trouble finding an insurer.
How Does Kemper Auto Insurance Rate?
Kemper’s customer satisfaction and financial strength have been rated by companies like the Better Business Bureau (BBB), AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). While it’s not a great option for those who value customer service, the company itself does appear to be financially sound.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
The BBB gives Kemper Insurance a C+ rating based on 13 complaints filed against the company. There’s only one customer review available, which gives it one star out of five, so it is likely not the best representation of the company’s customer satisfaction. Still, the BBB rating is worth considering.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The NAIC rates insurance companies based on the number of complaints they receive in a given year. The national median is 1, with a lower score indicating fewer complaints. Kemper falls on the higher end of the spectrum, with more complaints received than the national average. Kemper's NAIC rating is 2.29.
AM Best’s ratings system looks at the company itself in terms of financial strength and ability to meet obligations to policyholders in the event of a claim. Kemper’s A- rating indicates that it’s positioned to do that. However, it’s important to keep in mind that this rating is not the same as a warranty.
Kemper Insurance Features
Kemper's offerings are somewhat basic, but they do have a decent lineup of additional auto insurance coverages available to those who want them. People shopping for auto insurance will always want to shop around to collect quotes from different companies to ensure they’re getting the best deal based on their unique circumstances.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Price QuotesYou may be able to get an online quote from Kemper, however the feature is not always available.
- Online ClaimsCustomers can file their claims online through the Kemper website.
- Mobile AppAlthough they don’t have a general app for customers, Kemper does have one specifically for photo inspections, available for both iPhones and Android devices.
Kemper Auto Coverage
Kemper doesn’t go into detail about what’s included with their basic insurance options, but they do have to provide at least the equivalent of your state's required minimum coverages.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCoverage for damages incurred during a car accident.
- UninsuredProvides protection in the event that you are in an accident with someone who does not have insurance, or a hit-and-run driver.
- LiabilityThis may include coverage for if you were to cause injuries or damages to someone else or their property.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Consider some of the other features and coverages Kemper Auto Insurance offers customers in their active regions.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Roadside AssistanceProvides assistance if you end up stranded on the side of the road.
- Gap CoverageHelps cover the gap between what you owe on your vehicle and your vehicle’s actual cash value.
- OtherKemper Total: Protection for if your car ends up being significantly damaged.
Available Discounts on Kemper Car Insurance Coverage
Kemper offers a decent array of discount options for drivers. Keep in mind that this may not represent the total discounts the company offers, and some may not be able to qualify for or access all of the options listed. Call to speak with a customer service representative to learn more about what discounts will apply to you.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverThis applies for those who go without accidents or tickets.
- Driver TrainingHelps those who take certain driver training courses save.
- Good StudentGood grades can earn you a discount on your policy.
- Multi VehicleApplies if you have more than one car insured with Kemper.
- LoyaltyGet rewarded for staying with Kemper over time.
Other Kemper Insurance Products
Kemper offers several other insurance products, which can make it a good option if you want to bundle your policies and save.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceIncludes options for home- and condo-owners, as well as renters.
- Personal Property InsuranceProvides an extra layer of protection for valuables in your home.
- Life InsuranceKemper offers whole- and term-life insurance policies as well as access to health insurance.
- Business InsuranceCommercial Auto - Provides coverage for work-related vehicles.
- OtherPersonal catastrophe liability: An extra layer of protection for your auto, home, renters or condo policy. Provides financial help if your identity is used fraudulently; this exists as an add-on to other policies. Package: When you bundle your homeowners and auto policies into a “package plus” deal, you can access more features, like one-bill convenience and increased coverages.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Kemper
You can report a claim either via Kemper’s website or by calling a claims representative at their dedicated claims phone number.
Contact Kemper Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- BBB. "Kemper Insurance profile." Accessed March 26, 2020.
- NAIC. "NAIC Consumer Information Source Index, 2019: Kemper Independence Insurance Company." Accessed March 27, 2020.
- AM Best. "A.M. Best Rating Services Credit Rating: Kemper Independence Insurance Company." Accessed March 26, 2020.