Elephant Auto Insurance Review: Quotes and Service (2022)
Elephant is among the low-rated car insurance providers by MoneyGeek, with a score of 63 out of 100. Based on our rating system, the company received excellent user satisfaction ratings but scored lower on affordability, customer complaints and financial stability.
Elephant provides uncommon add-on coverage options, such as pet coverage and custom parts coverage. However, the company’s customer service reviews are not very high.
Compare Auto Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your auto insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
Elephant has an average customer service reputation. Based on MoneyGeek, the company has average customer complaints and above-average user satisfaction ratings. With an affordability score of 2.7 out of five, the company’s policies are averagely priced for most drivers.
To learn more about Elephant and other car insurance providers, check out MoneyGeek’s resources about the most affordable and best auto insurance companies. You can also use MoneyGeek’s comparison tool to compare Elephant with other auto insurance carriers within your state.
How Does Elephant Rank for Customer Service?
Given the small size and scope of Elephant Car Insurance, the company doesn’t appear in most rankings performed by such companies as J.D. Power or AM Best. Even so, it could still be a good choice for customers looking for low rates.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives Elephant Car Insurance an A+ rating. However, according to the BBB, customer reviews of the company score an average of 2.5 stars. Many of those reviews discuss a lack of customer service and response, as well as disputes over failure to pay claims, resulting in poor customer satisfaction.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) routinely examines how many complaints an insurance company receives and measures the median number of complaints against the national median, which is 1.00. For Elephant Insurance Company, the customer complaint ratio is 4.12, much higher than the national median.
Discounts Offered by Elephant That Can Help You Save
Elephant has several discounts that make its car insurance policies less costly. The insurer provides some of the most common discounts. These include bundling, good student and safe driving discounts. However, it does not offer multiple car, anti-theft system as well as airbag discounts, which are also common among most of the other providers.
Additionally, Elephant provides other unique savings that may not be found in other carriers, such as early signing, legacy and mileage discounts.
Compare Elephant Directly With Other Car Insurance Companies
If you wish to compare Elephant and other popular car insurance providers in your state, MoneyGeek provides resources to help you achieve this.
The MoneyGeek comparison tool allows you to assess how Elephant ranks among other providers in terms of pricing, customer service and unique coverage options. You can also use the tool to access resources that provide additional information about the major insurance carriers that operate in your state.
Does Elephant Offer Broad or Unique Coverage?
Elephant provides standard insurance coverage that includes liability insurance plus comprehensive and collision insurance. Some common add-on coverages offered by this insurer include roadside assistance and rental car and travel reimbursement insurance. Other common additional coverages like accident forgiveness, new and better car replacement and **deductible modification88 are unavailable with this insurer.
Elephant also provides various unique coverage options, including pet coverage and custom parts coverage, which may be missing in other insurers. If your policy includes pet coverage, you will receive a maximum of $1,000 from your insurer if your pet gets injured in a covered claim. You will also get automatic coverage of up to $1,000 of CPE on your car if you purchase custom parts coverage as part of your Elephant policy.
What Online Auto Insurance Tools Does Elephant Offer?
To best serve its customers, Elephant offers online support and a variety of insurance coverage and pricing options. When choosing an auto insurance carrier, it’s important to find the best coverage, features and cost to meet your needs.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PayWhether you pay monthly or biannually, Elephant offers a convenient online option to pay for your premium.
- Online ClaimsInitiating a claim starts on the website, where you can track its progress through completion.
- Payment OptionsSetting up automatic payment. This convenient option helps ensure you won’t miss a payment.
Other Elephant Insurance Products
In addition to car insurance, Elephant Car Insurance offers a variety of other coverages, including homeowners and life insurance. By bundling these different policies with your car insurance, you could receive additional discounts on your premiums.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceThis policy is based on replacement cost coverage, or the amount required to repair or rebuild your home with similar materials. It may pay up to 100% of your home’s coverage limit, but options exist to purchase different amounts of coverage.
- Renters InsuranceThis coverage will replace the property that is stolen or damaged as well as living expenses in the event you are forced into temporary housing because your home is too damaged to live in. In addition, it includes personal liability coverage in the event that someone is injured on your property.
- Umbrella InsuranceThis coverage extends beyond your existing insurance to help cover expenses not covered by those policies. However, it does not cover damage to your personal property, business losses, criminal actions or contracts.
- Life InsuranceThis coverage provides your loved ones with a death benefit in the event that something were to happen to you.
- Motorcycle InsuranceThis coverage is similar to car insurance, but applies specifically to motorcycle riders. Elephant Insurance partners with Dairyland, motorcycle insurance specialists, to offer this coverage.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Elephant
Elephant Car Insurance maintains a claims center on its website, where customers can file a claim online as well as track a previously filed claim. In addition, customers can call or email the claims department to file or track a claim.
Contact Elephant Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Elephant Ins Co Customer Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed February 16, 2020.