For those looking for low rates on car insurance, Elephant Car Insurance could be a good option. However, customer service reviews are not very high, so you might find better options as you compare car insurance policies from other companies.
Auto Insurance Review: Elephant
Unlike many other well-known car insurance companies, Elephant Car Insurance is not a nationwide company, which limits its reach to customers. Instead, the carrier only serves customers in six states: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. While the company offers a large selection of discounts, which can make it quite affordable for many customers, it also receives a higher number of complaints relative to its size, which doesn’t speak well for its overall customer satisfaction.
How Does Elephant Auto Insurance Rate?
Given the small size and scope of Elephant Car Insurance, the company doesn’t appear in most rankings performed by such companies as J.D. Power or AM Best. Even so, it could still be a good choice for customers looking for low rates.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives Elephant Car Insurance an A+ rating. However, according to the BBB, customer reviews of the company score an average of 2.5 stars. Many of those reviews discuss a lack of customer service and response, as well as disputes over failure to pay claims, resulting in poor customer satisfaction.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) routinely examines how many complaints an insurance company receives and measures the median number of complaints against the national median, which is 1.00. For Elephant Insurance Company, the customer complaint ratio is 4.12, much higher than the national median.
Elephant Insurance Features
To best serve its customers, Elephant offers online support and a variety of insurance coverage and pricing options. When choosing an insurance carrier, it’s important to find the best coverage, features and cost to meet your needs.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PayWhether you pay monthly or biannually, Elephant offers a convenient online option to pay for your premium.
- Online ClaimsInitiating a claim starts on the website, where you can track its progress through completion.
- Payment OptionsSetting up automatic payment. This convenient option helps ensure you won’t miss a payment.
Elephant Auto Coverage
Despite the company’s limited national reach, Elephant Car Insurance still offers a wide range of standard auto insurance options that can be customized to each customer’s needs
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionThis insurance pays for the damage incurred by your car during an incident.
- Personal Injury ProtectionIn most cases, this insurance covers all that medical payment coverage does, plus reimbursement for lost wages and/or non-medical expenses related to the car accident.
- UninsuredThis coverage essentially pays expenses you incur when the other driver is at fault but does not have insurance or adequate insurance. This includes property damage, medical expenses, lost wages and other general damages.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
In addition to standard car insurance coverage, Elephant Car Insurance also offers several optional coverage choices that are common in auto insurance policies.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementThis coverage pays for you to have a rental car while your car is being repaired. Options vary for how many days the company will pay for a rental car.
- Roadside AssistanceThis 24/7 nationwide coverage helps prevent you from being stranded on the side of the road in the event of a flat tire or car trouble. It can also help if you lock your keys in the car.
- Medical PaymentsAs the name implies, this coverage pays medical bills and/or funeral costs if you and/or your passengers are injured or killed while in your car. While health insurance may pay some or all of your medical expenses, medical payments coverage may go toward expenses not covered by your health insurance policy. This policy could include home health care, prostheses or dental treatments.
- OtherBodily injury: This coverage refers to medical bills, lost wages and inconvenience expenses incurred by other parties in the accident if you are found at fault. This type of coverage usually lists two amounts, such as $25,000/$50,000. The first number is the maximum amount your insurer will pay each person, while the second number is the maximum amount your insurer will pay for injuries per incident.
Available Discounts on Elephant Car Insurance Coverage
Elephant Car Insurance offers a number of discounts that can be combined for a total savings of 40% off your insurance premium.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverIf you go five years without any accidents, you can save up to 5% on some coverage options.
- Good StudentIf you have students who maintain good grades, you could receive up to 6% off certain coverage options. Most states require policyholders to be between the ages of 16 and 25 and full-time students with a “B” average or better.
- Multi VehicleInsure more than one car, and save up to 26% on your premiums.
- Multi PolicyBundling your car insurance policy with your homeowners, renters or motorcycle insurance policies can earn you discounted rates.
- PaperlessOnline quote: Get up to 12% off your policy when getting a quote online. Electronic signature: By signing up with an electronic signature, you could receive additional savings.
Other Elephant Insurance Products
In addition to car insurance, Elephant Car Insurance offers a variety of other coverages, including homeowners and life insurance. By bundling these different policies with your car insurance, you could receive additional discounts on your premiums.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceThis policy is based on replacement cost coverage, or the amount required to repair or rebuild your home with similar materials. It may pay up to 100% of your home’s coverage limit, but options exist to purchase different amounts of coverage.
- Renters InsuranceThis coverage will replace the property that is stolen or damaged as well as living expenses in the event you are forced into temporary housing because your home is too damaged to live in. In addition, it includes personal liability coverage in the event that someone is injured on your property.
- Umbrella InsuranceThis coverage extends beyond your existing insurance to help cover expenses not covered by those policies. However, it does not cover damage to your personal property, business losses, criminal actions or contracts.
- Life InsuranceThis coverage provides your loved ones with a death benefit in the event that something were to happen to you.
- Motorcycle InsuranceMotorcycle insurance: This coverage is similar to car insurance, but applies specifically to motorcycle riders. Elephant Insurance partners with Dairyland, motorcycle insurance specialists, to offer this coverage.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Elephant
Elephant Car Insurance maintains a claims center on its website, where customers can file a claim online as well as track a previously filed claim. In addition, customers can call or email the claims department to file or track a claim.
Contact Elephant Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Elephant Ins Co Customer Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed February 16, 2020.