Direct General Auto Insurance caters to high-risk drivers with competitive rates. However, they have poor scores when dealing with customer satisfaction and billing issues.
Auto Insurance Review: Direct General Insurance
Direct General Auto Insurance caters to those with non-standard auto insurance needs. This company is a good option for drivers who have been turned down by other companies, are considered “high risk,” or who need an SR22 certification. New drivers or those with lower-than-average credit scores may also find a better rate than other car insurance companies when getting a free auto insurance quote to compare. However, their customer satisfaction scores are not the best compared to other non-standard auto companies.
How Does Direct General Insurance Auto Insurance Rate?
Organizations like the Better Business Bureau (BBB), the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and AM Best use different criteria to rate auto insurance companies. Using these metrics, consumers can decide if they want to work with a particular car insurance company. Direct General Auto Insurance struggles with quality customer satisfaction, as shown by their NAIC score, even with a higher-than-average BBB rating.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Direct General Auto Insurance has an A+ rating with the BBB, however, the recent customer satisfaction reviews are 2-stars or worse. It seems that Direct General could improve their customer support, which may be something to consider when getting a quote for car insurance to compare to other auto companies.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Direct General Insurance
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners created a customer complaint ratio, which helps determine customer satisfaction with their car insurance company. The national median is 1, while Direct General Auto Insurance Company’s score is 2.49, which is over twice the national average.
AM Best's Financial Strength Rating is a grading scale that determines how easily a company can pay its policyholder’s claims. While this is not a warranty or guarantee, it can help you decide which car insurance company to choose when you compare auto quotes. Direct General Auto Insurance received an A- rating, which means they are stable and should have an excellent chance of paying claims.
Direct General Insurance Insurance Features
There are lots of ways to contact Direct General Insurance for customer support, including over the phone, by text or online. Claims are filed over the phone, even if you have a local agent. Optional features for auto insurance policies allow you to modify the coverages to meet your personal needs.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PaySet up an account to view and pay your bill, view and sign documents, and make changes or updates to your policy online when it’s convenient for you.
- Payment OptionsPay by e-check, credit or debit card online or by text.
Direct General Insurance Auto Coverage
Even though Direct General Insurance is a non-standard auto company, that doesn’t mean they don’t offer standard coverages. Some coverages, like liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist, are required. Others are optional, like comprehensive, collision, and medical payments. Check out all the coverages offered by this carrier to learn more and decide what’s right for you.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCoverage for your vehicle if you are involved in an accident and you are at fault.
- Personal Injury ProtectionNot available in all states, this coverage is similar to medical payments but can also cover for lost wages due to being injured in an accident.
- UninsuredThis required coverage protects you if someone injures you and/or your vehicle and either doesn’t have enough insurance or none at all.
- LiabilityRequired coverage that protects the other person if you damage their property or cause injuries with your covered vehicle(s).
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Direct General Auto Insurance has certain optional coverages that aren’t always available with other car insurance companies, like the Emergency Protection Plan. Optional insurance features, like the ones listed below, can be great add-ons to your auto insurance policies. Choose what you need, like towing and rental reimbursement, and decline what doesn’t work for you.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementGet part or all of your rental car costs reimbursed if your vehicle is in the shop due to a covered accident.
- Roadside AssistanceWhether you lock yourself out of your car, your battery dies, or you need a tow, Direct Auto Insurance has you covered with this policy.
- Accidental Death DismembermentIf you pass away in an auto accident, your beneficiary will receive $5,000 if you have this coverage.
- Medical PaymentsPays for hospitalization, medical, or funeral expenses if you are injured or killed in an accident, no matter who is at fault.
- OtherEmergency Protection Plan: This policy is available to help pay for medical costs, accidental death, ambulance and other costs pertaining to an accident. There are also travel discounts provided as well.
Available Discounts on Direct General Insurance Car Insurance Coverage
Direct General Auto Insurance doesn’t have as many discounts available as other standard car insurance companies, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still save. Bundle all eligible discounts to save up to 25% off your auto insurance rates. Check out the table below for the currently available discount options.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverGet this discount after being ticket and accident-free for 36 months (state dependent).
- Driver TrainingSenior Citizen Discount - For those 55 and older who have completed an accident prevention course.
- Good StudentFull-time high school, trade school and college students who are unmarried with a “B” average or higher are eligible.
- Multi VehicleInsure more than one vehicle to get this discount.
- LoyaltyRenew your policy before the renewal date with no lapse in the previous 12 months.
Other Direct General Insurance Insurance Products
Bundling multiple policies can sometimes get you the best rate for auto insurance. Direct General Auto Insurance also provides renters, life and motorcycle insurance. For those traveling to Mexico, their auto insurance coverage for this area might be just what you need.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceInsure your car with Direct General Auto Insurance and get this discount if you own a home or condo.
- Renters InsuranceProvides protection for your personal property, liability and additional expenses if you are displaced after a covered claim.
- Life InsuranceGet temporary coverage (renewable for two years) up to $25,000 with no medical exam.
- Business InsuranceThis policy is perfect for business owners, it doesn’t matter if you have just one commercial vehicle or a whole fleet.
- Health InsuranceMedicare: Policy options for Medicare Parts A, C, D and supplemental are available through this insurance carrier.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Direct General Insurance
To make a car insurance claim after you’ve been involved in an accident, you’ll call the toll-free number listed below. Press 2 to report a new claim or 3 to track an existing claim. Their claims office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. You’ll need to provide information to start a new claim: your name, policy number, information for all the people in your vehicle at the time of the accident, vehicle information, police report number and information on the other driver(s) and vehicle(s) involved. The claims representative will give you a unique claim number to use throughout the process.
Contact Direct General Insurance Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Direct Locations Near You." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Get a Quote." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Direct General Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Better Business Bureau. "Direct Auto Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- AM Best Rating Services. "Direct General Insurance Company." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Contact Us." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Make a Claim." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Renters Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Motorcycle Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Mexico Auto Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Commercial Auto Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Roadside Assistance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Auto Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Emergency Protection Plans." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Life Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Medicare." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Accidental Medical Expense." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "My Account." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Make a Payment." Accessed March 20, 2020.