Direct General Insurance Auto Insurance Review: Quotes and Service (2022)
Direct General had a MoneyGeek score of 77 out of 100, which makes it an average-rated insurance provider. The company was among the highest scorers on discounts. However, its affordability, complaints and stability scores are not the best. It offers military and senior driver discounts, which may not be common among most insurers. Most drivers also find its rates slightly competitive.
Compare Auto Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your auto insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
Direct General has a customer satisfaction score that is above average. It also has an average complaints rate, which makes it a decent customer service provider.
You can use MoneyGeek’s analysis tool to compare Direct General with other insurance carriers in the state.
How Does Direct General Insurance Rank for Customer Service?
Organizations like the Better Business Bureau (BBB), the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and AM Best use different criteria to rate auto insurance companies. Using these metrics, consumers can decide if they want to work with a particular car insurance company. Direct General Auto Insurance struggles with quality customer satisfaction, as shown by their NAIC score, even with a higher-than-average BBB rating.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
Direct General Auto Insurance has an A+ rating with the BBB, however, the recent customer satisfaction reviews are two-stars or worse. It seems that Direct General could improve their customer support, which may be something to consider when getting a quote for car insurance to compare to other auto companies.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Direct General Insurance
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners created a customer complaint ratio, which helps determine customer satisfaction with their car insurance company. The national median is 1.00, while Direct General Auto Insurance Company’s score is 2.49, which is over twice the national average.
Discounts Offered by Direct General Insurance That Can Help You Save
Direct General offers a wide array of discounts that make its policies more affordable. The company provides some of the most common discounts, including multiple car, bundling, safe driving and good student discounts. Additionally, the company offers military, senior driver and other discounts that may not be available with other insurers.
Compare Direct General Insurance Directly With Other Car Insurance Companies
MoneyGeek provides various resources that allow you to compare Direct General with other insurers within your state. Using the MoneyGeek car insurance analysis tool can help you rate Direct General and other insurers across factors such as customer service, cost and unique coverage options. The comparison tool also gives you access to additional resources that help you to determine how Direct General ranks against other insurance providers.
Does Direct General Insurance Offer Broad or Unique Coverage?
Like other insurers, Direct General also provides standard coverage options like liability insurance as well as full coverage car insurance. If you get a policy from the insurer, you will also have the opportunity to purchase additional coverage such as roadside assistance, rental car insurance and travel reimbursement coverage. However, the insurer does not provide other common add-on options such as new car or better car replacement and accident forgiveness coverages.
Direct General does not offer any unique coverages like rideshare insurance or original equipment manufacturer coverage.
What Online Auto Insurance Tools Does Direct General Insurance Offer?
There are lots of ways to contact Direct General Insurance for customer support, including over the phone, by text or online. Claims are filed over the phone, even if you have a local agent. Optional features for auto insurance policies allow you to modify the coverages to meet your personal needs.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PaySet up an account to view and pay your bill, view and sign documents, and make changes or updates to your policy online when it’s convenient for you.
- Payment OptionsPay by e-check, credit or debit card online or by text.
Other Direct General Insurance Insurance Products
Bundling multiple policies can sometimes get you the best rate for auto insurance. Direct General Auto Insurance also provides renters, life and motorcycle insurance. For those traveling to Mexico, their auto insurance coverage for this area might be just what you need.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceInsure your car with Direct General Auto Insurance and get this discount if you own a home or condo.
- Renters InsuranceProvides protection for your personal property, liability and additional expenses if you are displaced after a covered claim.
- Life InsuranceGet temporary coverage (renewable for two years) up to $25,000 with no medical exam.
- Business InsuranceThis policy is perfect for business owners; it doesn’t matter if you have just one commercial vehicle or a whole fleet.
- Health InsuranceMedicare: Policy options for Medicare Parts A, C, D and supplemental are available through this insurance carrier.
AM Best's Financial Strength Rating is a grading scale that determines how easily a company can pay its policyholder’s claims. While this is not a warranty or guarantee, it can help you decide which car insurance company to choose when you compare auto quotes. Direct General Auto Insurance received an A- rating, which means they are stable and should have an excellent chance of paying claims.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Direct General Insurance
To make a car insurance claim after you’ve been involved in an accident, you’ll call the toll-free number listed below. Press 2 to report a new claim or 3 to track an existing claim. Their claims office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. You’ll need to provide information to start a new claim: your name, policy number, information for all the people in your vehicle at the time of the accident, vehicle information, police report number and information on the other driver(s) and vehicle(s) involved. The claims representative will give you a unique claim number to use throughout the process.
Contact Direct General Insurance Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Direct Locations Near You." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Get a Quote." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Direct General Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Better Business Bureau. "Direct Auto Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- AM Best Rating Services. "Direct General Insurance Company." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Contact Us." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Make a Claim." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Renters Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Motorcycle Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Mexico Auto Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Commercial Auto Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Roadside Assistance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Auto Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Emergency Protection Plans." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Life Insurance." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Medicare." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Accidental Medical Expense." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "My Account." Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Direct Auto Insurance. "Make a Payment." Accessed March 20, 2020.