Does Renters Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Enter your ZIP code to get started


Free. Simple. Secure.

Banner image
ByMark Fitzpatrick
ByMark Fitzpatrick

Updated: March 6, 2023

Advertising & Editorial Disclosure

Renters insurance covers water damage under personal property coverage. But in some cases, it is an add-on endorsement under water backup coverage. You may also have coverage for water damage under personal liability coverage. The circumstances that caused the water damage determine what part of your policy covers it.

Don’t confuse flood as part of water damage because it is usually a separate policy and is rarely an endorsement.

MoneyGeek’s guide about what renters insurance does and doesn’t cover delves deeper into a policy’s coverages and optional endorsements.

You don’t need to worry about expenses related to water damage since most renters insurance policies automatically cover this peril. If your area is prone to flooding, it is best to get flood insurance as a separate policy.

In this article:


When Does Renters Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Water damage is covered by a standard renters insurance policy under personal property coverage or by an add-on endorsement, such as water backup coverage. But you may also find coverage for water damage applies to personal liability coverage. For example, if you cause water to overflow from your apartment into the apartment below, the property damage you cause to that unit is covered under personal liability.

Below are some instances when renters insurance covers water damage.


Although you don’t need to worry about fixing structural issues in your apartment, you need to make sure that you protect personal belongings in the event of water damage. Keep in mind, though, that the water damage must not have been due to your negligence, such as in the case of a clogged toilet that is caused by flushing foreign objects.

When Doesn’t Renters Insurance Cover Water Damage?

There may be occasions when your renters insurance policy won’t cover water damage. One of these is if the damage to your personal property is due to flooding. You need a separate insurance policy for floods, especially if you live in an area that is flood-prone.

Many insurers provide flood insurance coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), so it is best to check if they carry this option.


How to Prevent Water Damage

Getting renters insurance is a good way to protect your hard-earned assets from the peril of water damage. But an even better alternative is to prevent this peril in the first place.

We advise you to inform your landlord immediately of any issues that you might encounter. Also, regularly check and inspect your apartment’s indoor plumbing system to learn of any leaks or damages.


Where to Buy Renters Insurance

Most of the leading insurance carriers, such as Travelers and GEICO, as well as regional providers, such as Lemonade and Toggle, provide renters insurance. MoneyGeek’s guide to comparing renters insurance quotes can help you decide which renters insurance company best fits your needs and budget.

We found, on average, that the cost of renters insurance is around $13 per month. That rate can vary depending on the value of your belongings. Use MoneyGeek’s personal property calculator to get an estimate of how much coverage you need.


About Mark Fitzpatrick

Mark Fitzpatrick headshot

Mark Fitzpatrick has analyzed the property and casualty insurance market for over five years, conducting original research and creating personalized content for every kind of buyer. Currently, he leads P&C insurance content production at MoneyGeek. Fitzpatrick has been quoted in several insurance-related publications, including CNBC, NBC News and Mashable.

Fitzpatrick earned a master’s degree in economics and international relations from Johns Hopkins University and a bachelor’s degree from Boston College. He is passionate about using his knowledge of economics and insurance to bring transparency around financial topics and help others feel confident in their money moves.