Selective Insurance could be a great fit for you if you want multiple types of insurance and optional add-ons and the high number of complaints don't deter you. The group works in 14 states currently, so compare other insurers in your area to see which one is best for you.
Auto Insurance Review: Selective Insurance
Receiving a Selective Insurance quote is a quick and easy process thanks to the company's cutting-edge website. The group currently offers insurance throughout the Midwest and Northeast, in addition to servicing Utah and Arizona. Ratings from AM Best and the Better Business Bureau signal a financially secure and productive company, but Selective Insurance did receive an inordinately high number of complaints. MoneyGeek can help you find the best car insurance for your needs.
How Does Selective Insurance Auto Insurance Rate?
While Selective Insurance has not been reviewed by consumer intelligence company J.D. Power, sources such as AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) both collect and provide data about the agency. Review the following two sections to see how Selective Insurance stacks up against other car insurance companies.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
The Better Business Bureau maintains an "A-" rating for Selective Insurance but this rating is not based on individual consumer interactions. Selective Insurance car insurance customer reviews on the BBB website total 21 over the last three years and average one star out of a possible five. Complaints touch on issues such as delayed responses and claims processing.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) compiles annual complaint ratios for insurance companies to help consumers make an informed decision when selecting a carrier. The median complaint ratio is 1 while Selective Insurance received a score of 4.69. This number means the business received many more complaints than the national median. If customer satisfaction is important to you, remember to compare quotes from other agencies before making your decision.
Selective Insurance maintains a financial strength rating of "A" on AM Best. This is considered an excellent score. The AM Best ranking is based on the financial viability of Selective Insurance in terms of meeting insurance obligations to its customers. While not a warranty of any type, it does signal that the company is financially strong.
Selective Insurance Insurance Features
Founded after a runaway horse caused a carriage wreck in 1926, Selective Insurance grew from the idea that caring from customers matters most. Today the group prides itself on being a high-tech solution for customers seeking auto, home, renters and flood insurance.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PayBills can be viewed and paid, information can be updated and paperless billing and automatic payments can be turned on.
- Online ClaimsPeople can submit their claims, add photos, locate service providers and view ongoing information about their claim.
Selective Insurance Auto Coverage
Rather than offering a one-size-fits-all insurance plan, Selective Insurance provides individualized plans to meet the needs of different clientele.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCollision covers damages to your car in the event of an accident.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Selective Insurance provides several types of optional insurance coverage for drivers who want to be amply protected.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Accident ForgivenessIf you have this coverage and are at-fault in an accident, Selective Insurance waives premium increases.
- New CarIf your car is deemed a total loss after a wreck, this coverage pays the cash value for a replacement vehicle one year newer and with 15,000 fewer miles.
Available Discounts on Selective Insurance Car Insurance Coverage
Selective Insurance understands that discounts help drivers save needed money that can go toward other important financial responsibilities. The company offers several different types of discounts, including those aimed at teenagers, safe drivers and those who pay on time.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Driver TrainingDrivers who take defensive driving courses can receive a premium discount.
- Good StudentHigh school and college students who maintain good grades and complete an approved driver training class can save money.
- Anti TheftIf your car has qualifying safety/anti-theft features, your premium may be reduced.
- Multi PolicyCustomers who also use Selective Insurance for homeowners, condominium or renter's insurance can save on both premiums.
- OtherOn-time payments. Paying your bill on time results in more money in your bank account.
Other Selective Insurance Insurance Products
Some customers only want Selective Insurance's auto insurance coverage while others want to cover other properties they own or rent. The company offers several other types of insurance to meet these needs.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceHomeowners insurance helps protect your structure, your property, yourself and your possessions.
- Renters InsuranceEven if you don't own the structure, you own everything inside. This type of insurance protects your possessions while renting.
- Condo InsuranceThis insurance exists for clients who live in a property with an HOA that takes care of maintenance and insurance for the greater structure but still need coverage for the parts they own.
- Flood InsuranceSelective Insurance offers both residential and commercial flood insurance for structures located in flood plains or other areas prone to excessive rain and water.
- Business InsuranceUmbrella insurance acts as an extra layer of liability protection in addition to what your auto or homeowner's insurance covers. It includes costs related to defense, lost wages and personal liabilities.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Selective Insurance
Customers and those affected by customers can make car insurance claims via a secure portal on the Selective Insurance website. The sophisticated design walks users through several questions to help understand the nature of their claim and create a report. Once the claim is submitted, a member of the Selective Insurance team contacts the individual, either by phone or email. Users can also call the service center if they want to speak one-to-one with a representative when making a claim.
Contact Selective Insurance Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- AM Best Rating Services. "Selective Insurance Company of America." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Better Business Bureau. "Selective Insurance Company of America." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Selective. "Apartment & Renters Insurance." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Selective. "Auto Insurance." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Selective. "Condominium & Townhouse Insurance." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Selective. "Flood Insurance." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Selective. "Frequently Asked Questions." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Selective. "Homeowners Insurance." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Selective. "Selective at a Glance." Accessed March 25, 2020.
- Selective. "Umbrella Insurance Coverage." Accessed March 25, 2020.