Travelers auto insurance offers a broad range of benefits to consumers, but these benefits also come with some drawbacks. While Travelers car insurance makes a great choice for customers looking for a provider with outstanding financial strength, it may not be the best for individuals seeking lower rates. Ultimately, its best to compare car insurance quotes to determine which company can fit your unique needs.
Auto Insurance Review: Travelers
Companies with larger market shares tend to be financially strong and better able to pay their claims. When it comes to financial strength, Travelers car insurance is one of the best, ranking 10th for market share among its competitors, according to the Insurance Information Institute. Comprehensive add-on packages and discount options also make Travelers attractive to many auto insurance buyers. However, those on a budget or seeking top-quality repair services shop around to find an auto insurance provider that better meets their needs.
How Does Travelers Auto Insurance Rate?
Travelers car insurance has been rated by various companies, including AM Best, J.D. Power, and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The company posts stellar financial stability and customer satisfaction scores. For drivers looking for an insurer with high credibility, Travelers may be the best car insurance company for their needs.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to data provided by J.D. Power, Travelers has a customer satisfaction rating of 823 out of 1,000 points. Considering that the industry average is 835 points, Travelers reputation in this area is slightly below that of a typical insurer. J.D. Power's data also informed these star ratings, giving you a peek at how the company performs in some more specific categories.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) rates car insurance companies’ customer service based on the number of public complaints they receive. The NAIC calculates each company’s customer complaint ratio by measuring the number of complaints against the national median of 1. Travelers auto insurance has a score of .44, meaning that it receives significantly fewer customer complaints than the average auto insurance company.
AM Best rates the financial strength of insurance providers to determine if they can meet their customers' needs. Travelers auto insurance company receives the highest rating of A++, which means that it can meet its financial obligations more effectively than most of its competitors. Rankings from AM Best indicate insurer creditworthiness but should not serve as a warranty when purchasing insurance policies from any company.
Travelers Insurance Features
When shopping around for car insurance, you may want to note the online features and tools that each insurer provides. Travelers car insurance offers a standard selection of online features, including price quotes, insurance rate calculators, financial advice resources and online bill pay.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsInsurance rate calculator available.
- Online Price QuotesYou can get an estimate of your insurance premium or retrieve an existing quote through the website or by calling the Travelers toll free number.
- Online Bill PayPay your bills online through the MyTravelers portal.
- Online ClaimsThe online claims center allows you to report claims and check status.
- Mobile AppThe MyTravelers mobile app hasn’t been introduced yet. Once launched, it will allow customers to download their insurance cards, pay bills and initiate claims.
Travelers Auto Coverage
Travelers Car insurance provides full-coverage insurance policies to its customers. You can customize these policies depending on your specific needs. Optional packages are also available if you wish to receive extra protection.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionIf you get hit by another vehicle or object, this coverage pays for the damage.
- Personal Injury ProtectionThis coverage is only available in specific states and covers medical expenses during an accident, regardless of who is at fault. It may also cover wages lost due to accident-related injuries.
- UninsuredIf the driver at fault in an accident doesn’t have adequate insurance coverage to pay your expenses, this policy can help pay for those damages.
- LiabilityBundles property damage and bodily injury liability and is a requirement in most states. This insurance covers third-party damage if you cause an accident, injure someone or damage their property.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Travelers car insurance also offers different add-on coverage options that you can use to expand your coverage benefits. These options include roadside assistance, rental reimbursement, accident forgiveness, new car coverage, gap coverage and property damage liability.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementAlso known as extended transportation expenses coverage, this add-on pays for rental car bills if your vehicle is damaged in an accident and can’t be used for more than one day.
- Roadside AssistanceCall in for a tow if your vehicle breaks down or needs to be towed after an accident. Roadside assistance is available at two levels depending on customer needs.
- Accident ForgivenessTravelers’ Responsible Driver package includes minor violation and accident forgiveness.
- New CarThe Premier New Car Replacement package offers additional coverage if you total your new car within the first five years.
- Gap CoverageGap coverage protects your financed or leased vehicle by paying the difference between the actual cash value and the unpaid loan balance if your car is totaled.
Available Discounts on Travelers Car Insurance Coverage
Most insurance companies provide discounts to facilitate affordable costs for their customers, and Travelers is no exception. Travelers insurance policyholders who bundle several insurance types can save on their premiums.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverPolicyholders who maintain a record of no violations, accidents or major claims for three years or five years can save up to 10% and 23% on their premium, respectively.
- Driver TrainingTravelers auto insurance offers up to an 8% discount for young drivers who complete an approved driver’s training course.
- Good StudentPolicyholders enrolled in a high school or college can get an 8% discount if they maintain a B average in their classes.
- New VehicleIf you buy a less than four-year-old car, you qualify for a premium discount of up to 10%.
- Multi VehicleTravelers car insurance offers a discount of up to 8% to policyholders who insure more than one car on the same policy.
Other Travelers Insurance Products
In addition to car insurance, Travelers car insurance sells many other popular insurance products such as home, condo, umbrella and travel insurance. Bundling these policies with your auto insurance can help you save up to 15% on your premiums.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceTravelers homeowners insurance protects your home and belongings. You can save on this insurance if you have fire safety or security devices installed in your home.
- Renters InsuranceProtects policyholders from personal injury and also safeguards their belongings if they live in rental property.
- Umbrella InsuranceProvides additional coverage that protects you and your assets from unexpected events. It also covers lawsuit charges.
- Condo InsuranceCondo insurance from Travelers covers property damage. It also includes personal liability coverage that covers individuals who get hurt while visiting.
- Rideshare InsuranceProtects policyholders who drive for transportation companies like Uber and Lyft. Only available in Illinois and Colorado.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Travelers
You can file a claim and check the status of an existing claim through the company’s online claim center. You can also report a claim by calling the Travelers toll-free number.
Contact Travelers Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- Insurance Information Institute. "Top 10 Writers Of Private Passenger Auto Insurance By Direct Premiums Written, 2019." Accessed January 8, 2021.
- J.D Power. 2019 U.S. "Auto Claims Satisfaction Study." Accessed January 8, 2021.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Consumer Insurance Search Results." Accessed January 8, 2021.