USAA Auto Insurance Review: Quotes and Service (2022)
USAA is a top-rated car insurance company, scoring an 81 out of 100 from MoneyGeek. USAA has an excellent record for financial stability, customer satisfaction, affordability and complaints. It has a poor discount rating, though, and is only available to current and past military members. USAA is inexpensive for young drivers, full and minimum coverage and with a violation.
Compare Auto Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your auto insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
USAA has an excellent customer satisfaction rating and an above-average score for customer complaints. USAA is inexpensive for all driver types. MoneyGeek found that it has cheap auto insurance for drivers with a violation, young drivers and those who want minimum or full coverage.
Check out MoneyGeek's resources on the cheapest car insurance companies and best auto insurance providers to learn more about USAA and other insurers. To compare USAA to other insurers, use MoneyGeek's car insurance company comparison tool.
How Does USAA Rank for Customer Service?
Global and third-party rating agencies put USAA ahead of the competition. From its financial health to its consumer satisfaction, USAA insurance is one of the best insurance companies in the industry. According to the Satmetrix Net Promoter Benchmark Study, USAA is ranked as a leader in the auto insurance industry from 2010 to 2018. The Net Promoter Score is issued by NICE Satmetrix, a trusted industry-standard rating agency in gauging the loyalty of a company’s customer experience. A high score suggests that a certain organization provides superior service compared to its competitors and is used to predict revenue growth.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to J.D. Power's 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey metrics, USAA’s casualty insurance contingent stands out.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is an organization that measures customer service standards. It’s a national regulatory body with a joint purpose of establishing best-practice insurance standards.
The NAIC issues the Company Complaint Index, which tracks the number of public complaints against insurance companies. The index is calculated by comparing the number of each insurer’s complaints to the national median. The default national median is 1.00. It’s ideal for companies to fall below this number, which indicates fewer than expected complaints. USAA is rated at 1.00.
USAA Auto Insurance Quotes: How Much Does it Cost?
MoneyGeek gathered auto insurance quotes from all 50 states and Washington, D.C., which includes the 47 states where USAA sells auto insurance and averaged them for sample drivers. In every state that USAA is available for car insurance, MoneyGeek’s data determined it is inexpensive, costing an average of $883 per year.
During our research, we examined numerous driver profiles and determined that USAA is inexpensive for all — drivers who purchase full coverage insurance, the state minimum mandated coverage, young drivers or those with a speeding ticket.
You should do some comparison shopping if you want to find the cheapest auto insurance coverage. And always consider that price isn't the only thing to evaluate; financial strength, complaint ratios and other factors are also important.
Average Annual Cost of Car Insurance with USAA versus National Average
Scroll for more
- Driver TypeUSAA Average RateNational Average
- Full Coverage$883$1,405
- Minimum Coverage$409$740
- Speeding Ticket on Record$1,015$1,796
- 18-Year-Old Driver$2,382$4,997
Is USAA Car Insurance Expensive or Cheap? Why?
USAA is cheap for young or inexperienced drivers, drivers with a speeding ticket and those choosing minimum or full coverage.
Insurance company's, including USAA, are not transparent about how they calculate car insurance costs. But USAA has cheap and competitive auto insurance rates for all driver types and strong ratings for customer satisfaction and claims management. Young drivers are especially likely to save with USAA for auto insurance since many other insurers charge them high rates because of inexperience.
Remember, though, that you must have a military background to be eligible for USAA.
Discounts Offered by USAA That Can Help You Save
You can apply discounts to reduce the cost of your USAA auto insurance coverage. USAA offers many of the market's typical auto insurance discounts, including bundling, multiple car, good student, safe driving and defensive driving. The only typical discounts it does not provide are anti-theft system, pay-in-full, paperless and airbags.
USAA does offer discounts that are not available through some insurance carriers. The discounts include loyalty and military, which apply to garaging your vehicle on base. The vehicle storage discount can also help you save substantially on your policy (up to 60%).
Compare USAA Directly With Other Car Insurance Companies
MoneyGeek's resources can assist you in comparing USAA to other major insurance carriers in your state. You may use MoneyGeek's comparison tool to evaluate how USAA stacks up against other insurers in terms of customer service, price and standout coverages. Furthermore, the tool will direct you to additional resources to assist in determining how USAA compares to the competition.
Does USAA Offer Broad or Unique Coverage?
USAA offers standard liability coverage, comprehensive and collision insurance like other auto insurers. The company also provides some of the most common add-on auto insurance coverages: roadside assistance, rental car and/or travel reimbursement and accident forgiveness. Rideshare insurance coverage is also available through USAA. But, a USAA policy cannot include other common add-on coverages like new car replacement, better car replacement, gap insurance and deductible modification.
Additionally, USAA does not provide any unique insurance coverages.
What Online Auto Insurance Tools Does USAA Offer?
USAA isn’t too innovative in providing ways to customize your policy. But its customer support platform is dense with helpful informational resources, clearly not an afterthought like some insurers’ features are. Special discounts for active military personnel make up for the lack of creativity in policy design.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsAuto, home, savings and debt and retirement calculators are available.
- Online Price QuotesTo get an estimate, you’re screened to determine eligibility, and you need to create an online account first.
- Payment OptionsUSAA allows you to set a flexible payment plan at no additional cost. But restrictions apply and you must live in certain states.
- Mobile AppTheir mobile app is robust. You can manage a variety of insurance, banking, investing and other services through it.
- Financial AdviceUSAA goes above and beyond to provide consultation for its policyholders. Personalized expertise ranges from buying a home and car, retirement planning, military life and more.
Other USAA Insurance Products
In addition to auto insurance, USAA offers a broad portfolio of casualty insurance products. Bundling your auto insurance with either your home or renter’s insurance policy can save you up to 10% on your premium. Below are other types of insurance USAA sells. Each description below is subject to various terms, conditions and restrictions.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceCovers dwelling, personal belongings, home-sharing, earthquake, loss-of-use, personal liability and other structures. Allows you to customize your policy.
- Renters InsuranceCovers liability and personal assets. Flood and earthquake coverage are standard features of USAA’s basic policy. Also protects belongings during moving, but doesn’t cover damages due to temperature changes.
- Umbrella InsuranceCovers beyond the extent of home and auto insurance policies in the event of litigation. Protects home, auto and other assets.
- Condo InsuranceGoes beyond the condo association master policy coverage. Options include all-in-one, bare walls and personal belongings policies.
- Landlord InsuranceOffers protection for property that you rent out; also called landlord insurance. Includes income replacement, personal liability and home-sharing coverage.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With USAA
Claims with USAA are filed online. After logging into the claims portal, follow the online prompts. You can also use the USAA mobile app.
Contact USAA Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- AM Best. "USAA Casualty Insurance Company Profile." Accessed March 12, 2020.
- AM Best. "About AM Best." Accessed March 9, 2020.
- Consumer Reports. "Car Insurance Ratings & Reliability." Accessed March 9, 2020.
- USAA. "Corporate Overview | Locations." Accessed March 12, 2020.
- Insurance Information Institute. "What Determines the Price of an Auto Insurance Policy." Accessed March 9, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey." Accessed March 9, 2020.
- Nice Satmetrix. "2018 Satmetrix Net Promoter Benchmark Study." Accessed March 12, 2020.
- Nice Satmetrix. "Net Promoter Score Model." Accessed March 12, 2020.
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "USAA Casualty Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 12, 2020.
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "About the NAIC." Accessed March 9, 2020.