For low-mileage drivers, Metromile Auto can be a good option if you want affordable rates. However, given the high number of customer complaints the company receives, you might do well to shop around and compare car insurance quotes from several other companies.
Auto Insurance Review: Metromile Auto
Available to drivers in Arizona, California, Illinois, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington, Metromile Auto offers car insurance rates based on how many miles you drive, which is tracked using a device installed on your car. For drivers who don’t spend a lot of time on the road, this could be a very affordable option. However, the company also receives many complaints, which calls into question the quality of its customer service.
How Does Metromile Auto Auto Insurance Rate?
Currently, Metromile Auto doesn’t show up in the ratings of well-known entities like AM Best or J.D. Power. This absence could be due to Metromile Auto’s size and scope, which is small compared to other, larger car insurance companies. Even so, given its unique approach to billing, it could offer affordable rates for many drivers.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Metromile Auto has an A+ rating. However, that calculation does not incorporate customer reviews. On the BBB website, customer reviews award Metromile Auto four out of five stars. The majority of complaints filed with the BBB focus on problems with the company’s products or service, while the second-largest number of complaints focus on the company’s billing and collections.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Every year, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) tracks customer complaints for numerous insurance companies; the national median complaint ratio has a score of 1.00. For 2019, Metromile Auto’s complaint ratio is 7.41, significantly higher than the national average.
Metromile Auto Insurance Features
Metromile Auto uses a device installed on your car to track how many miles you drive to ensure you are charged only for the miles you actually drive. Customers can track their driving date, policy information and file claims on the company website as well as through its mobile app.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PayAll your statements are found in your dashboard.
- Online ClaimsYou can start a claim through the website and track the progress on your dashboard. You also can file a claim using the app.
- Payment OptionsPayments are made by credit or debit card, so by entering your card information in your dashboard, your payment will be automatically charged to your card each month. New Jersey customers can opt-in for manual billing.
- Mobile AppYou can see and update your policy information by logging into your Metromile Auto dashboard or using the app.
Metromile Auto Auto Coverage
Metromile Auto insurance features different levels of coverage you can customize to meet your individual needs.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionThis coverage is for damage to your car sustained when it hits another object, like a tree, wall or another car.
- Personal Injury ProtectionIn addition to medical coverage, PIP also may cover lost wages, necessary services such as child care and funeral costs.
- UninsuredUninsured motorist: This coverage pays for medical expenses for both you and any passengers in your vehicle in the event the driver at fault does not have insurance. Underinsured motorist: This coverage pays you and your passengers if the driver at fault does not have sufficient insurance to cover all you and your passengers’ expenses.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Although not required, these coverage options could provide added value for you
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementIf you already have comprehensive and collision coverage, you can purchase this option to cover the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired.
- Roadside AssistanceThis coverage kicks in to help you out if your car breaks down, has a flat tire or you lock your keys in the car.
- Medical PaymentsThis will cover medical expenses for injuries sustained by you and your passengers.
Available Discounts on Metromile Auto Car Insurance Coverage
Currently, Metromile Auto car insurance only offers a multi-car discount. If you’re searching for multiple discounts, you’ll have to go with a different company.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Multi VehicleMetromile Auto insurance only offers a multi-car discount
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Metromile Auto
Customers with Metromile Auto car insurance can file a claim one of three ways: online via the dashboard, through the mobile app or by calling the claims phone number. They can then track those claims through the online dashboard or via the mobile app.
Contact Metromile Auto Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author