While MetLife’s home insurance is highly rated, their auto insurance options are harder to recommend without certain conditions. A noteworthy downside is the company’s inconsistent customer experience ratings from region to region. On the flip side, MetLife offers quite a few interesting features that can be hard to find with other providers. You can look into MetLife auto insurance policies if you want specific features or qualify for affinity or employer discounts.
Auto Insurance Review: MetLife
MetLife is the largest life insurance provider in the country that also sells car insurance. While their rates are usually more expensive than average, they offer custom-fit policies and multiple discount options. A MetLife car insurance policy might be a good idea for senior drivers, new car owners and those looking for extra features. However, customer service reviews are mixed, and you might be better suited with another option if customer support is your top priority.
How Does MetLife Auto Insurance Rate?
MetLife scores highly on financial strength ratings, which reflects well on their ability to pay legitimate claims without issue. However, their ratings are usually average or below average for the quality of customer service. According to J.D. Power, MetLife auto insurance rates about average on a national level while consistently rating below average in many regional markets. While their features and discounts set them apart, some of the best car insurance companies in the country offer more attractive options.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to data provided by J.D. Power, MetLife earns a customer satisfaction rating of 817 out of 1,000 points. Considering that the industry average is 835, MetLife's reputation lags behind many of its competitors in this area. J.D. Power's data also informed these star ratings, allowing you to see how they rate in several specific categories.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is a regulatory body that evaluates customer service standards. It monitors the total number of complaints received by an insurance company and compares the median number of complaints against the national average value of 1.00. MetLife receives a score of 0.89, indicating slightly better-than-average complaint numbers. Most complaints appear to result from difficulties with the claims process and unexpected fees.
AM Best issues scores to insurance companies based on their financial strength. This is an indicator of their ability to pay claims. MetLife received an A+ rating. While this is not a warranty for policyholders, it denotes excellent financial strength.
MetLife Insurance Features
MetLife auto insurance brings to the table a good financial standing, unique features and a variety of discounts. Of particular note is its rental, towing and labor coverage, as well as its roadside assistance. While shopping for car insurance, it is important to look out for the best balance of costs, coverage options and features.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Price QuotesMetLife offers an online quote system through its website and mobile app. The policy application can also be completed online.
- Online Bill PayCustomers have the option of conveniently paying bills online.
- Online ClaimsFiling a claim online is easy through the website or mobile app.
- Mobile AppTheir mobile app offers a robust experience. Customers can alter their policies, file claims and pay premiums directly through the app.
MetLife Auto Coverage
MetLife offers many different coverage options, including state-mandated liability car insurance. Other than basic options, like property damage liability, bodily injury and uninsured motorist coverage, it also offers several upgrades and unique features.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCollision insurance covers damage to the vehicle after an auto accident, regardless of fault.
- Personal Injury ProtectionThis coverage takes care of medical expenses for the driver and passengers after an accident, irrespective of fault.
- UninsuredThis feature provides optional coverage for your car repairs and medical bills if you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- LiabilityLiability insurance covers injury, death and property damage in an at-fault accident.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
MetLife provides unique insurance features, like rental car coverage, towing and labor coverage and roadside assistance.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementMetLife will reimburse you for a rental car while the insured vehicle is being repaired.
- Roadside AssistanceThis feature provides on-the-road assistance if you are stranded or need emergency car repairs.
- Auto Glass RepairMetLife provides a waiver of deductible if you have a cracked windshield or window.
- New CarIf your new car is totaled before a year or 15,000 miles (whichever comes earlier), MetLife will replace it without any deduction for depreciation.
- Gap CoverageIf your car gets totaled, this covers the difference between what you owe on your car lease or loan and the vehicle’s present value.
Available Discounts on MetLife Car Insurance Coverage
MetLife offers a wide assortment of discounts. Of special note are the affinity discounts they provide to organizations all over the nation. For customers who do not qualify for these, there are many other ways to save money. They offer discounts to drivers over the age of 50 and customers eligible for their MyJourney platform.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverWith no accidents or traffic violations for three years, you can qualify for a discount.
- Defensive DriverYou can claim up to a 7% discount by completing a defensive driving course.
- Good StudentThis provides up to a 15% discount for high school or college students with good grades.
- Multi VehicleYou can get a discount when you insure multiple vehicles.
- Anti TheftYou may qualify for a discount by installing alarms, wheel-locking devices, ignition cutoffs and fuel cutoffs.
Other MetLife Insurance Products
MetLife also offers life insurance and home insurance products in addition to their auto insurance coverage. You can receive additional discounts by bundling your auto insurance with other MetLife policies.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceThis is a policy that you can customize to cover your home, personal property, loss of use, personal liability and more.
- Life InsuranceInsure your life to provide your loved ones with death benefits.
- Health InsuranceMetLife offers health insurance independently and through employers.
- Recreational Vehicle InsuranceThis coverage includes comprehensive insurance for recreational vehicles like boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs and dirt bikes.