Hanover Auto Insurance Review: Quotes and Service (2022)
With the exception of affordability and discounts, Hanover Insurance scores well on MoneyGeek's evaluation. Customer satisfaction, complaint resolution and financial stability are the insurer’s strong points. Affordability was less satisfactory and discounts poor. On the plus side, Hanover is comparatively inexpensive for young drivers and neither cheap nor costly for most drivers. The insurance company does not offer unique discounts but does offer add-on coverages such as newer car replacement and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) coverage.
Compare Auto Insurance Rates
Ensure you're getting the best rate for your auto insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.
Hanover has an above-average record for complaints, satisfaction and stability, and is moderate in terms of affordability. Hanover's insurance premiums aren’t expensive or inexpensive compared to other insurers.
Take a look at MoneyGeek's information on the best and cheapest car insurance providers to learn more about Hanover and other insurers. Use our tool to compare the best car insurance companies and see how Hanover stacks up against other providers.
How Does Hanover Rank for Customer Service?
Hanover, collectively, is highly rated, according to industry-standard reports. But each insurer’s performance may differ from the scores given to the holding company. Since each organization is independent, reviews of a particular car insurance company offered by the surveys below are limited.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
You won’t find Hanover listed in J.D. Power’s survey, but Consumer Reports gives Hanover a 74 out of 92.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Regulators with The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) provide a public report called the Customer Complaint Ratio. The ratio tracks the number of complaints lodged against an insurance company. The ratio is calculated by dividing each insurer’s index of complaints by the national median average of all insurance companies’ complaints, according to the type of policy. The default national median is 1.00.
Hanover Auto Insurance received a 1.17 ratio according to NAIC’s 2019 index. This rating means that Hanover has slightly more complaints than the national median.
Hanover Auto Insurance Quotes: How Much Does it Cost?
Car insurance quotes for a sample driver in Michigan were acquired from Hanover and averaged. Insurance in Michigan is very expensive, so initially, the premiums seemed high; however, they are moderately affordable in that state. The average cost of car insurance from Hanover is $8,393 a year, which is neither cheap nor expensive, compared to other insurance providers in the state.
Except for young drivers, Hanover isn't expensive or inexpensive for most drivers. Young drivers are rated inexpensive, while those with prior traffic convictions or drivers seeking minimum or full coverage insurance policies will find Hanover premiums neither expensive nor inexpensive.
Shop around and compare quotes to get the cheapest car insurance. However, the cost should not be the only factor you consider when looking for car insurance. Take a look at the insurer’s complaint rates, customer satisfaction and other metrics which are used to measure a provider’s total value to you.
Average Annual Cost of Car Insurance with Hanover versus National Average
Scroll for more
- Driver TypeHanover Average RateNational Average
- Full Coverage$8,393$5,182
- Minimum Coverage$5,774$3,488
- Speeding Ticket on Record$11,880$8,053
- 18-Year-Old Driver$16,125$16,687
Is Hanover Car Insurance Expensive or Cheap? Why?
Young drivers can find inexpensive insurance through Hanover, while those buying minimum or full coverage and drivers with traffic violations will find the premiums neither expensive nor cheap. Because young drivers are inexperienced, their car insurance premiums are often very high. Comparison shopping, in this case, can save you a lot of money.
Remember that insurance company rating calculations aren't at all clear, and your premiums can be affected by everything from your credit score and driving history to your age and where you live.
Discounts Offered by Hanover That Can Help You Save
Discounts can make car insurance from Hanover even less expensive. The insurance company offers most of the common discounts you’d expect, including bundling, multi-car, good student, anti-theft and defensive driving.
On the other hand, Hanover does not offer a safe driving discount, one for going paperless or an airbag discount, which most insurers commonly do.
Compare Hanover Directly With Other Car Insurance Companies
MoneyGeek has the tools you need to compare Hanover to the other leading insurance providers in your state of residence. When it comes to customer service, affordability and unique coverage, our comparison tool can help you determine how Hanover ranks. Additional information on these insurance companies may be found via the tool's links.
Does Hanover Offer Broad or Unique Coverage?
Like all insurers, Hanover offers standard car insurance coverages such as liability insurance, comprehensive and collision insurance.
Additionally, their customers may opt for typical add-on coverages such as roadside assistance, rental and travel reimbursement, accident forgiveness and deductible modification. While Hanover does not provide the option to add new car replacement coverage, it does offer newer car replacement coverage.
Another add-on coverage option that the insurer offers is OEM. Original equipment manufacturer coverage is not commonly offered by most car insurance policies. The value of it is that you get the original replacement parts for your vehicle. In other words, replacement parts will match the brand of your vehicle and usually come with a warranty.
What Online Auto Insurance Tools Does Hanover Offer?
Insurance policies with Hanover provide customers with access to many helpful features. Consider these features when comparing Hanover with other car insurance brands.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PayHanover customers have the option to pay their bill online. Bank account information can be stored on the customer's Hanover profile for easy depositing and view bill images, pending payments and account history.
- Online ClaimsHanover provides customers with the option to file claims online, whenever they need to. Platinum customers have the option to call a special platinum hotline for fast access to the claims process.
- Payment OptionsCustomers can opt to pay their bills with a card or directly via their bank account.
- Mobile AppHanover customers can utilize the Hanover Mobile app for easy access to their accounts when they're away from their home PC. Customers can quickly consult their policy information, request roadside assistance, file claims through the app, and other helpful features.
Other Hanover Insurance Products
Hanover’s Platinum protection extends to its portfolio of other insurance products. Competitive high limits are available for personal property protection. Hanover also has many business insurance offerings.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceHanover homeowner’s insurance options are available for single-family homes, condominiums, apartments and renters. Hanover’s Prestige line is for higher-value homes.
- Umbrella InsuranceHanover’s umbrella policy helps protect against liability and litigation contingencies beyond the coverage of other policies. Limits are from $1,000,000 up to $10,000,000.
- Personal Property InsuranceAdded protection for your valuables. Up to $50,000 for jewelry, silverware, fur and fine arts is paid-out. For musical instruments, cameras, computer equipment, firearms, china and crystal and golfer's equipment, the maximum is $20,000.
- Business InsuranceOffers a spate of commercial insurance for small, mid-size and industry-specific enterprises.
- Identity Theft InsuranceIncludes restoration services, expense reimbursement, document replacement assistance and access to identity protection consultation.
Hanover’s credit rating is excellent, according to AM Best, the world’s largest credit-rating agency specializing in insurance. AM Best’s Financial Strength Rating indicates the fiduciary health of a particular insurer. A high rating means that a certain insurance company is qualified to meet its financial obligations. Scores aren’t a warranty for any specific policy.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Hanover
You can file a claim over the phone or online 24 hours a day. You can call the general claims hotline at 1-800-628-0250. There’s a separate number for Platinum service. To reach that number, call 1-800-799-6977.
Or you can file a claim online through Hanover’s web form.
Contact Hanover Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- AM Best Rating Services. "The Hanover Insurance Company." Accessed March 26, 2020.
- Consumer Reports. "Car Insurance Ratings and Reliability." Accessed March 26, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Hanover Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 26, 2020.
- The Better Business Bureau. "The Hanover Insurance Group." Accessed March 26, 2020.