People shopping for auto insurance who have a healthy driving history may consider Hanover for auto insurance coverage. High ratings reinforce the company's coverage options.
Auto Insurance Review: Hanover
Hanover’s auto insurance policies are ideal if you drive a lot, if you need to insure multiple vehicles or if you would like to bundle personal property with your car. There are several customizable endorsements available, and bundles are packed full of various coverages. Hanover may not be right, however, if you’re a high-risk driver.
How Does Hanover Auto Insurance Rate?
Hanover, collectively, is highly rated, according to industry-standard reports. But each insurer’s performance may differ from the scores given to the holding company. Since each organization is independent, reviews of a particular insurance company offered by the surveys below are limited.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
You won’t find Hanover listed in J.D. Power’s survey, but Consumer Reports gives Hanover a 74 out of 92.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Regulators with The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) provide a public report called the Customer Complaint Ratio. The ratio tracks the number of complaints lodged against an insurance company. The ratio is calculated by dividing each insurer’s index of complaints by the national median average of all insurance companies’ complaints, according to the type of policy. The default national median is one.
Hanover Auto Insurance received a 1.17 ratio according to NAIC’s 2019 index. This rating means that Hanover has slightly more complaints than the national median.
Hanover’s credit rating is excellent, according to AM Best, the world’s largest credit-rating agency specializing in insurance. AM Best’s Financial Strength Rating indicates the fiduciary health of a particular insurer. A high rating means that a certain insurance company is qualified to meet its financial obligations. Scores aren’t a warranty for any specific policy.
Hanover Insurance Features
Insurance policies with Hanover provide customers with access to many helpful features. Consider these features when comparing Hanover with other car insurance brands.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PayHanover customers have the option to pay their bill online. Bank account information can be stored on the customer's Hanover profile for easy depositing and view bill images, pending payments and account history.
- Online ClaimsHanover provides customers with the option to file claims online, whenever they need to. Platinum customers have the option to call a special platinum hotline for fast access to the claims process.
- Payment OptionsCustomers can opt to pay their bills with a card or directly via their bank account.
- Mobile AppHanover customers can utilize the Hanover Mobile app for easy access to their accounts when they're away from their home PC. Customers can quickly consult their policy information, request roadside assistance, file claims through the app, and other helpful features.
Hanover Auto Coverage
Depending on where you live, a certain level of auto protection is required. Liability coverage, which includes bodily injury and property damage, is typically mandatory in most states.
If you have a loan or a lease for your vehicle, you’re usually contractually obligated to purchase comprehensive and collision coverages, but they’re typically optional services with most policies. Medical payments or personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured motorist protection are other common add-ons.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCollision helps pay for repairs to or replaces your car if it's damaged in an accident with another vehicle or object. Lenders usually require you to add this to your policy, although it's technically an add-on.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
The more exclusive tiers include coverage enhancements and more optional a la carte add-ons to choose from, such as accident forgiveness to pet injury to home care services coverage and more.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementThis extends transportation expense coverage. It pays for your daily rental limit for the duration of repairs, or it replaces your vehicle.
- Accident ForgivenessIf you incur your first claim in any 36-month period, no surcharge or increase in premium will be added to your policy because of that incident.
- New CarIf you wreck your car within one year of the purchase or accumulate 15,000 miles or less, whichever comes first, Hanover will replace your vehicle without deduction for depreciation.
- Accidental Death DismembermentPays $10,000 for each family member or insured victim of an automobile accident. A caveat: He or she must have been wearing a seat belt at the time of the collision.
- OtherHanover also provides added features and coverages for pet injury, trip interruption, home care services, and accidental airbag deployment.
Available Discounts on Hanover Car Insurance Coverage
Hanover’s safe driver and vehicle discounts don’t compare to its generous policies. Details aren’t provided, so you need to speak with an agent to find out more.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Good StudentA discount may apply if you maintain good grades.
- Anti TheftIf you install anti-theft devices, a discount may apply.
- Multi PolicyInsure more than one vehicle and you may qualify for a discount.
- Away At SchoolYou’re eligible for this discount if an insured driver is a student who moves away to school and only uses the car while at home during school vacations and holidays.
- Pay In FullPay your premium in full and you receive a discount.
Other Hanover Insurance Products
Hanover’s Platinum protection extends to its portfolio of other insurance products. Competitive high limits are available for personal property protection. Hanover also has many business insurance offerings.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceHanover homeowner’s insurance options are available for single-family homes, condominiums, apartments and renters. Hanover’s Prestige line is for higher-value homes.
- Umbrella InsuranceHanover’s umbrella policy helps protect against liability and litigation contingencies beyond the coverage of other policies. Limits are from $1,000,000 up to $10,000,000.
- Personal Property InsuranceAdded protection for your valuables. Up to $50,000 for jewelry, silverware, fur and fine arts is paid-out. For musical instruments, cameras, computer equipment, firearms, china and crystal and golfer's equipment, the maximum is $20,000.
- Business InsuranceOffers a spate of commercial insurance for small, mid-size and industry-specific enterprises.
- Identity Theft InsuranceIncludes restoration services, expense reimbursement, document replacement assistance and access to identity protection consultation.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Hanover
You can file a claim over the phone or online 24 hours a day. You can call the general claims hotline at 1-800-628-0250. There’s a separate number for Platinum service. To reach that number, call 1-800-799-6977. Or you can file a claim online through Hanover’s web form.
Contact Hanover Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- AM Best Rating Services. "The Hanover Insurance Company." Accessed March 26, 2020.
- Consumer Reports. "Car Insurance Ratings and Reliability." Accessed March 26, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Hanover Insurance Company Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed March 26, 2020.
- The Better Business Bureau. "The Hanover Insurance Group." Accessed March 26, 2020.