If you live in California or Florida and you’re a high-risk driver, Explorer Auto Insurance can help get you the auto insurance coverage you need. While this company does operate in other states, it focuses primarily on California and Florida customers, so it’s not an ideal choice for drivers in other states or drivers who aren’t high risk.
Auto Insurance Review: Explorer
Explorer is a California-based insurance provider offering non-standard types of auto insurance for high-risk drivers. Explorer is known for its affordable pricing for non-standard insurance and can help insure drivers who may have been denied coverage by other providers. Explorer also specializes in offering bilingual services to customers.
How Does Explorer Auto Insurance Rate?
Explorer has not been reviewed by either J.D. Power or the Better Business Bureau. Since this company focuses heavily on the bilingual and non-English speaking demographics, this could account for the lack of online reviews. However, Explorer’s parent company, ICW Group, has an A+ rating through the BBB.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
There are only a few customer reviews on Explorer online. Negative reviews indicate that the company’s claims process is confusing or offers little visibility.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners NAIC reviews complaints throughout the insurance industry each year and comes up with a national median. The 2019 median ratio which other insurance companies are measured against is 1.
Explorer has a 1.59 complaint ratio, meaning this company slightly more complaints than most other insurance companies.
Explorer has a strong financial backing since this company is owned by ICW Group. AM Best gives Explorer Insurance an “A” and “Excellent” ratings for financial backing and security. Its financial size is between $1.25 billion and $1.5 billion.
Explorer Insurance Features
There are two main reasons why you might want to consider partnering with Explorer. First, if you’re a high-risk driver, you might be eligible for affordable coverage. Secondly, if you’re bilingual or know applicants who do not speak English, Explorer’s bilingual customer service team can help walk them through the insurance application process
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Bill PayYou can quickly manage your billing account, enroll in autopay, update your payment methods and view your payment history.
- Online ClaimsQuickly file a claim online and log in to view your status in real-time.
Explorer Auto Coverage
Explorer offers the basic insurance policies you need to adhere to state laws for high-risk drivers.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionIf you’re in an accident, this coverage can help pay for the costs to repair or replace your vehicle if it was damaged or totaled.
- UninsuredIf the other driver in an accident is uninsured or does not have enough coverage to pay for your damages and expenses, this coverage will help pay for any remaining expenses.
- LiabilityIf you’re at fault in an accident, you’ll be responsible for medical costs of the other driver. This coverage can help cover these medical expenses.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
In addition to basic coverage options, Explorer also offers extra optional coverages and features.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementIf your vehicle is unusable after an accident, Explorer will reimburse you for towing and rental costs.
- Roadside AssistanceThis will give you access to emergency roadside assistance day or night, whether you break down a few blocks from home or states away.
- Auto Glass RepairThis will cover glass window replacement in your vehicle, after a covered accident.
Available Discounts on Explorer Car Insurance Coverage
Explorer offers a variety of discounts for customers. While they do not disclose a full list of discounts online, they have a few discounts advertised.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Auto PaySave money when you enroll in automatic payments.
- OtherCustom discount programs - Find out how you can save money by calling Explorer.
Other Explorer Insurance Products
Explorer specializes in auto insurance, but they do have a couple of additional insurance offerings to choose from.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Business InsuranceWorkers’ compensation insurance: Explorer offers workers compensation insurance to companies to help protect employees and employers.
- OtherEarthquake insurance: As a California-based company, it makes sense that Explorer helps cover damages and losses caused by earthquakes.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Explorer
You can easily file a claim with Explorer online or over the phone.
Contact Explorer Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- AM Best. "Explorer Auto Insurance 2019 Credit Ratings." Accessed April 9, 2020.
- ICW Group. "ICW Group." Accessed April 9, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Explorer Auto Insurance Complaint Ratio Report." Accessed April 10, 2020.
- Explorer Insurance. "Explorer Insurance." Accessed April 9, 2020.