Individuals looking for a tech-savvy auto insurance provider should consider Esurance car insurance. This insurer, which is an Allstate subsidiary, allows online transactions and offers a cutting-edge mobile app. This online-based insurer is a good option for people who are always on the go. However, their customer satisfaction ratings are mediocre, and customer complaint ratings are much higher than average.
Auto Insurance Review: Esurance
The ease of access to services and features through its online tools and mobile app makes Esurance a good option for many drivers. Additionally, the company offers various coverages to ensure that each plan fits the policyholder’s needs. Depending on the policy inclusions and personal circumstances, an individual can also qualify for discounts. However, some people may not find Esurance auto insurance appealing due to its high ratio of complaints and low customer satisfaction score.
How Does Esurance Auto Insurance Rate?
Individuals looking for the best car insurance companies should consider ratings and reviews from industry leaders like J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). Esurance car insurance receives excellent marks for financial stability, but its customer satisfaction scores could use some work.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
According to data provided by J.D. Power, Esurance earned a customer satisfaction score of 836 out of 1,000. Considering that the industry average is 835, Esurance's rating is just barely above the score for a typical insurance company. These star ratings are also based on J.D. Power's data, showing how the company rates in several more specific areas.
Customer Complaint Ratio
Another way to check customer satisfaction is to look into the company’s NAIC complaint index report, which shows the ratio of complaints that an insurance provider received in a year compared to industry averages. The national median for the complaint ratio is 1, but Esurance got a score of 2.87. That means that it received more complaints than the industry average.
Financial strength is an important factor people should consider when comparing car insurance. It determines whether a company can pay claims. AM Best gave Esurance an “A+” rating in this aspect. That means that the insurer has a solid financial standing, which is necessary to meet ongoing insurance obligations.
Esurance Insurance Features
Esurance’s strengths are in online and mobile experience rather than pricing and customer service. They’re a good option if you want to shop for car insurance without leaving the comfort of your home. Comparing Esurance quotes with other available policies is also possible on the company’s website.
Customers can easily access their insurance policy information, which is advantageous in case of an accident. The website and mobile app allow Esurance policyholders to file a claim, submit photos, video chat with an appraiser and track the claim’s progress.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- Online Price QuotesGet a personalized quote based on your needs and circumstances through the Coverage Counselor tool on the company’s website.
- Online Bill PayEsurance prefers automatic billing through debit or credit cards.
- Online ClaimsFiling claims can be done online or through the mobile app. Policyholders can also access insurance policy information, find Esurance-approved repair shops, upload photos from the scene of the accident and keep track of a claim, among others.
- Mobile AppDownload the Esurance mobile app, which is available for Android and iOS, to access various features.
Esurance Auto Coverage
There are multiple insurance coverage options with Esurance, so customizing a policy to fit your individual needs is possible. A state-minimum policy offers basic protection, such as liability-only car insurance. For a more robust insurance policy, full coverage may be preferable.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCollision coverage pays for the expenses for car damages in case of a collision or rollover.
- Personal Injury ProtectionSome states require personal injury protection (PIP). It pays for medical expenses for you or your passengers, regardless of who is at fault. Typical coverage inclusions are medical, lost income, disability and funeral.
- UninsuredThis coverage is helpful in case the driver who caused the accident has inadequate or no insurance. It also applies in the case of a hit-and-run driver.
- LiabilityLiability coverage protects you if you cause an accident with another driver. It has two parts: bodily injuries and property damage.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Standard insurance policies from Esurance may not be enough for some drivers. In that case, getting additional riders may be necessary. Esurance has other insurance features worth considering.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementThis coverage pays for vehicle rental fees in case your car requires repairs.
- Roadside AssistanceEsurance policyholders with comprehensive and collision coverage can add roadside assistance by paying a small additional fee. The emergency roadside service includes towing assistance, changing flat tires, delivering gas, oil or water, jump-starting battery and unlocking the vehicle.
Available Discounts on Esurance Car Insurance Coverage
There are extensive discount options for Esurance auto insurance policyholders. You must meet certain requirements to qualify for these savings opportunities.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverIndividuals with a valid driver’s license for at least three years and a maximum of one point on their driving record can get as much as 40% off their insurance premium. Esurance has a tool called DriveSense that allows policyholders to keep track of their driving habits and report relevant data to the insurer. Enrolling in this program could qualify you for additional discounts.
- Defensive DriverDepending on the state, discount specifications may vary. In most cases, drivers who are 50 years or older and complete the approved defensive driving course can get this discount.
- Good StudentIf you are a full-time student under 25 years old and have a GPA above 3.0, you can get up to 10% off your collision, liability and medical coverage payments.
- Multi VehicleEsurance offers discounts for policyholders insuring more than one vehicle.
- Anti TheftHaving an anti-theft device in your vehicle qualifies you for a discount.
Other Esurance Insurance Products
Aside from auto insurance, Esurance has several other insurance products. Individuals who plan on getting various insurance types can save by bundling policies. However, it is still a good idea to compare car insurance quotes from multiple insurance providers.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceAvailable in 31 states, Esurance home insurance protects homeowners against property damage and theft. Other coverages include dwelling water backup and identity theft.
- Renters InsuranceRenters who qualify for Esurance insurance can choose from coverages like personal property, personal liability, property damage, medical expenses and additional living expenses.
- Rideshare InsurancePolicyholders driving for Lyft or Uber in New Jersey, Illinois and California can get a ShareSmart policy, specifically made for rideshare drivers.
- Life InsuranceEsurance offers term life insurance. It also allows conversion to universal or whole life insurance policies.
- Motorcycle InsuranceSimilar to an auto insurance policy, motorcycle coverage insures vehicles like scooters, ATVs and other types. However, it is only available in 11 states.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Esurance
Filing a claim with Esurance is done online or through the mobile app. Speed up the process by uploading photos from the scene of the accident. Submit all necessary information, such as the date and time, the other party’s insurance and contact information and a police report number, if available. You can keep track of the claim’s progress on the Esurance mobile app.
Contact Esurance Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- AM Best. "Esurance Insurance Company Financial Strength Rating." Accessed January 6, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study." Accessed January 6, 2021.
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Esurance Ins Co National Complaint Index Report." Accessed January 6, 2021.