Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Vandalism?

Most incidents of vandalism are covered by a standard homeowners insurance policy. This signifies that you will probably be able to file a claim for repairs if your home or personal property is vandalized. MoneyGeek breaks down when homeowners insurance covers vandalism and how you can avoid it.


Insurance Rates

Ensure you're getting the best rate for your home insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.

Advertising & Editorial Disclosure
Last Updated: 8/3/2022
Written By     |  

Vandalism is usually covered by standard insurance policies. It is typically defined as a deliberate act of destruction against your property such as cut bike tires, shattered windows or spray paint on the siding of your property.

If your home, additional structures or personal property are vandalized, homeowners insurance will cover your expenses to fix the damage. When making a vandalism claim, either dwelling coverage, other structures coverage or personal property coverage will cover the damage.

Vandalism to your home (Coverage A), additional structures (Coverage B) or personal possessions (Personal Property Coverage) is covered by homeowners insurance. Home insurance may cover different types of vandalism, such as smashed locks and windows, damaged lawns and removed signs, among others.

In this article:

Insurance Rates


When Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Vandalism?

Vandalism is covered under homeowners insurance. If your home is vandalized, MoneyGeek outlines the instances when homeowners insurance policy covers vandalism just like any other covered risk.

tip icon
  • Your dwelling coverage could pay for repairs if your home and other structures (such as an attached garage or a gazebo) are vandalized.
  • Other structures coverage can pay for repairs if your property's detached structures (like a fence or shed) are vandalized.
  • Personal property coverage can pay to repair or replace your personal belongings (including furniture or electronics) if they are vandalized.

For each policy component, a coverage limit is set and will be the maximum amount an insurer will pay out in the event of an insured loss. You will probably have to pay a modest deductible out of pocket. MoneyGeek emphasizes the importance of knowing more about your homeowners insurance policy so you know how your home can be covered and protected against vandalism.

When Doesn’t Homeowners Insurance Cover Vandalism?

Even when a standard homeowners insurance covers vandalism, there are a few exclusions that vary from insurer to insurer. If you want to be sure you're covered, you may require endorsements to amend or extend your policy.

For example, when your residence is vacant, your homeowners insurance will most likely not cover any damages caused by vandalism. However, you can usually purchase separate vandalism coverage if your house is vacant and you are concerned about it being damaged.

Insurance Rates


How to Protect Yourself From Vandalism

For homeowners, it is preferable to avoid vandalism while still obtaining insurance coverage. MoneyGeek outlines some of the best ways to protect yourself and your home from vandalism.

  • Loading...

    Install Security Lights

    The primary goal of security lighting is to flood a dark area with light, dissuading would-be vandals from causing damage.

  • This is an icon

    Put Up Video Surveillance

    Surveillance cameras can be beneficial in preventing vandalism by novice offenders. Even if they don't stop the crime, cameras can provide information to help authorities in their investigation.

  • Loading...

    Lock Up Before Leaving

    Before you leave your home, make sure all doors and windows are closed to keep intruders out. Installing deadbolt locks can add extra protection by making it harder for attackers to break in.

  • This is an icon

    Put Fences in Your Yard

    Fences are an excellent way to make your home safe and private since they make it harder for trespassers to get access to your property.

Where to Buy Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners insurance is available from big insurers like State Farm and smaller insurers like Hippo. To find the greatest deal, MoneyGeek recommends shopping around and comparing quotes from several companies.

The average monthly cost of homeowners insurance is $175. However, the amount you pay will be determined by the value of your personal belongings. Use MoneyGeek's personal property calculator to estimate how much insurance you'll need.



About the Author


Mark Fitzpatrick is a senior content manager with MoneyGeek specializing in insurance. Mark has years of experience analyzing the insurance market and creating original research and content. He graduated from Boston College with a Bachelor of Arts and Johns Hopkins University with a Master of Arts.