Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Swimming Pools?

Enter your ZIP code to get started


Free. Simple. Secure.

Banner image
ByMark Fitzpatrick
ByMark Fitzpatrick

Updated: May 22, 2024

Advertising & Editorial Disclosure

Swimming pools are insured under your dwelling coverage, personal property coverage and personal liability coverage. If the pool is on your house’s ground, it belongs to a dwelling coverage as it covers damaged structures in your home. If your pool is a detachable part of your home, it’s considered personal property. Plus, personal liability converge is applicable whenever someone gets hurt in your pool.

Swimming pool damages are automatically included in your homeowners insurance policies. Whether you have cracked pool floors, faulty pipes or medical fees if a child was hurt in your swimming pool, you can rely on your homeowners insurance.

In this article:


When Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Swimming Pools?

Swimming pools can either be classified as part of the home's structure or as personal property. This classification dictates what kind of insurance coverage is available for the swimming pool.

mglogo icon
  • Damaged in-ground pools due to different outside causes are part of your dwelling coverage.
  • If somebody is injured in your pool, personal liability coverage will cover the cost.
  • When your swimming pool is damaged and it is classified by your insurer as part of your home’s structure, your insurance will cover the cost.

Bodily injuries occurring in or around the pool are covered by personal liability insurance. However, if the costs exceed the limits of your policy, you could be liable for the remainder. Bills are covered only up to a certain limit, so it’s recommended to have gates and fences built.

Above-ground pools that are considered by your insurer as separate from your house and that don’t have attached permanent structures are considered to be personal property or other structures. This means they can be covered by personal property insurance.

When Doesn’t Homeowners Insurance Cover Swimming Pools?

If there are no structures attached to the pool, the coverage you have for your personal property will extend to the pool. However, personal property coverage typically has a policy limit, so you may not get the entire amount for your pool if it’s destroyed.

When your area is hit by an earthquake or a flood, your pool is not protected by your homeowners coverage.


How to Safeguard Your Swimming Pool

A pool is a great asset but can be dangerous. You can monitor who goes into the pool and physically cover the pool to avoid costly consequences.

Although there are top homeowners insurance companies to keep your pool-related worries addressed, it’s still better to try to prevent bad pool experiences.

    checkSign icon

    Keep Your Pool Covered

    Covering your pool to prevent animals and children from falling in is helpful. Plus, when there’s a typhoon or other calamities, protecting the pool using a sturdy and quality cover keeps the pool clean.

    checkSign icon

    Secure Your Pool

    Keeping the pool secured and monitored prevents potential hazards. Automatic fences and alarm systems that prohibit children from reaching the pool can be beneficial.

    checkSign icon

    Get a Ground Pool Interrupter

    Having a ground pool interrupter installed will avoid electrocution as it shuts off power when there’s any power source or surge near the pool. Simply keeping electrical appliances and cords away from the pool is safe for everyone.

Where to Buy Homeowners Insurance

The average cost of homeowners insurance is $175 per month, depending on your property. You can acquire homeowners insurance from both small and big companies. Insurers like State Farm, Hippo, GEICO and Progressive offer homeowners insurance that can fit your needs.

MoneyGeek calculator can help you shop for homeowners insurance and compare quotes offered in different homeowners insurance companies in your city, taking into account the value of your property.


Total: $0

About Mark Fitzpatrick

Mark Fitzpatrick headshot

Mark Fitzpatrick has analyzed the property and casualty insurance market for over five years, conducting original research and creating personalized content for every kind of buyer. Currently, he leads P&C insurance content production at MoneyGeek. Fitzpatrick has been quoted in several insurance-related publications, including CNBC, NBC News and Mashable.

Fitzpatrick earned a master’s degree in economics and international relations from Johns Hopkins University and a bachelor’s degree from Boston College. He is passionate about using his knowledge of economics and insurance to bring transparency around financial topics and help others feel confident in their money moves.