Mercury’s rates are hard to beat. If you are looking for affordable insurance without a lot of bells and whistles, Mercury may be a good choice. They didn’t score well on J.D. Power’s insurance satisfaction study, so customers who value companies that provide good service and fast response times should look elsewhere.
Auto Insurance Review: Mercury
If you live in one of the states serviced by Mercury, you may find their rates hard to beat. With affordable prices and roadside assistance, Mercury offers thorough coverage for a variety of drivers. Among leading competitors, Mercury offers the lowest rates for teen car insurance.
Mercury can also help military families save money, with competitive rates to rival military insurance providers. If you’re looking for basic insurance at a great price, Mercury is a solid choice.
How Does Mercury Auto Insurance Rate?
Mercury insurance does well in some aspects, not as well with others. Rates from Mercury are extremely affordable, whether they're for a teen driver or someone with a not-so-perfect driving record.
However, Mercury provides only the basics as far as policies go, and its customer satisfaction rating is below average.
Mercury could be for you if you’re looking for basic insurance at an affordable price.
Customer Satisfaction Rating
With consumers in mind, J.D. Power rates auto insurance companies by a number of factors with a five-star ranking system. J.D. Power ranked Mercury with a 2 out of 5 score.
Customer Complaint Ratio
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), gives every insurance company a ratio score. The national median is 1. So, a company that has a ratio of 2 has twice as many complaints as other insurance company. In 2018, Mercury earned a customer complaint ratio score of 0.36, which is below the national median of 1.
AM Best rates the financial strength of companies. AM Best gives Mercury an A (excellent) for financial strength. A good financial strength rating indicates that a company can afford to pay claims and regularly meets customer claim needs.
Mercury Insurance Features
With online services for setting up your coverage to a range of coverage options, Mercury provides basic auto insurance for a reasonable price for many.
- Type of FeatureDescription
- CalculatorsOnline rate calculator: Get a free quote online.
- Online Bill PayBill pay through the app: Make a payment on the go.
- Payment Options1-800 number to report claims: File a claim, make a payment or speak with a customer service representative over the phone.
- Mobile AppMobile app: Access your plan information, make a payment or view your auto insurance card with the mobile app.
Mercury Auto Coverage
There are many different types of auto coverage at a variety of price points. Mercury provides the basic coverage you would expect from a midsized auto insurer.
- Type of CoverageDescription
- CollisionCovers damages to your vehicle.
- Personal Injury ProtectionHelps pay for medical costs that arise due to an accident.
- UninsuredPays for bodily injury caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
- LiabilityPays for damages caused to others if you’re at fault. Also provides an attorney if you’re sued.
Optional Insurance Features and Coverage
Mercury offers optional insurance and features you can add onto your policy.
- Type of OptionDescription
- Rental ReimbursementCovers the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired.
- Roadside AssistanceAvailable 24/7 by calling the 1-800 number. You can receive text alerts to let you know how long it will take roadside assistance to get to you.
- Medical PaymentsSupplemental coverage added on to a policy to help with medical costs.
- OtherRide-hailing coverage: Insurance for people who drive for Uber, Lyft, and other similar services. This feature pays for protection while the app is turned on, which is unique among car insurance companies. Many competitors only provide coverage while there is a passenger in the car.
Available Discounts on Mercury Car Insurance Coverage
Mercury doesn’t have as many discounts as some insurance companies, but they do have some basic discounts. If you qualify for any of these, you will reduce the already low-rates Mercury specializes in.
- Type of DiscountDescription
- Safe DriverIf you go a specified amount of time without getting into an accident or getting a ticket, you may qualify for a lower rate.
- Good StudentGood students tend to get into fewer accidents. Contact Mercury to find out what qualifies someone as a good student and what documentation is required.
- Multi VehicleIf you insure more than one car, you get a lower rate.
- Anti TheftAlarm systems, VIN etching and manual or automatic disabling systems installed in your car will earn you a discount.
- Multi PolicyWhen you bundle your home or renters insurance with your auto insurance, you get a discount. This option varies by state.
Other Mercury Insurance Products
Mercury offers insurance for your home and condo, as well as business insurance. If you bundle your home, renters or auto insurance policies, you could get a discount. Keep in mind that Mercury doesn’t offer every type of insurance in each state and prices may vary by state.
- Type of ProductDescription
- Homeowners InsuranceProtection for your home from fire, theft and other covered losses.
- Renters InsuranceInsures your possessions against fire, theft and other covered losses.
- Condo InsuranceProvides protection for your condominium.
- Landlord InsuranceProtects property owners against damages to their residence. Also covers surrounding permanent structures, such as garages.
- Business InsuranceMercury offers business insurance such as business owner’s policies, commercial liability, commercial property and commercial umbrella insurance.
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Mercury
To make a claim with Mercury, call their 24-hour hotline at 1-800-503-3724. An agent will help you through the process.
Contact Mercury Car Insurance
Methodology and Assumptions
To evaluate and review auto insurance companies, MoneyGeek carefully weighs factors such as price, financial strength, policy features, customer satisfaction, service and other leading indicators. MoneyGeek also references publicly available data from industry leaders such as J.D. Power, AM Best and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the Better Business Bureau. Learn more about MoneyGeek’s review methodology here.
About the Author
- Vicky Valet. "America’s Best Midsize Employers." Accessed February 16, 2020.
- AM Best Rating Services. "Mercury Insurance Company." Accessed February 16, 2020.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Company Search for Complaint and Financial Information." Accessed February 16, 2020.
- J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study." Accessed February 15, 2020.