The American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card is ideal for individuals looking for outstanding travel perks. This credit card also offers significant welcome bonuses. It has a 0% foreign transaction fee, making it a good option for international purchases.
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card Review
Individuals who frequently travel via Delta flights can enjoy American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card benefits. It offers some perks for elite travelers, which may be enough to compensate for the $250 annual fee. Cardholders can earn 3x miles at hotels and on direct Delta purchases, 2x miles at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets, and 1x miles for other eligible purchases. The card can help boost your status as a Delta flyer by earning Medallion Qualification Miles.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card at a Glance
The best credit card is the one that fits your needs as a user. While the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card has a high annual fee, proper financial management and budgeting can help you fully enjoy the travel perks this credit card offers. You can also use it to pay for flight tickets, seat upgrades and more.
- American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
An excellent card for earning Delta SkyMiles
- Good–ExcellentCredit Needed
- $250Annual Fee
- 1–3 Miles per $1Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 3xRewards Rate at Hotels
Pros & Cons Explained
The features and bonuses of this credit card can be beneficial for many users. However, you have to weigh the pros and cons before proceeding to the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card application process to make sure that it is the right card for your wallet.
- No foreign transaction feeCardholders do not have to worry about expensive fees for international purchases.
- Free first checked bagAs a cardholder, you can check your first bag for free on any Delta flights you booked using your Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card, allowing you to save up to $60 per person on a round-trip Delta flight.
- Annual companion certificateYou can receive a domestic main cabin round-trip companion certificate every year upon the renewal of your credit card.
- Statement credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheckDelta SkyMiles Platinum cardholders can opt to apply for Global Entry to receive a $100 statement credit available every four years after the application. Another option is to enroll in TSA PreCheck for a five-year membership that enables you to receive an $85 statement credit every 4.5 years after the application.
- High annual feeThere is an annual membership fee for this credit card. It costs $250. Some competing credit cards offer lower annual fees.
- High interest ratesThe APR for purchases using this credit card is 15.74%–24.74%. For cash advances, the APR is 25.24%. Meanwhile, the penalty APR for those who make late payments and those whose payments were returned by the bank is 29.99%.
- Payment for Delta SkyClub accessDelta SkyMiles Platinum cardholders can access the Delta SkyClub. However, they have to pay $39 per person per visit. The cardholder can also only bring up to two guests.
MoneyGeek evaluates credit cards to determine the best selections for each category. While the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card review shows the benefits it offers, it is not among the cards selected as one of the best credit cards for travel.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Other factors to consider when looking for the best credit card are bonuses and rewards. These can help determine if the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card’s features are useful to you or not.
New cardholders can earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM) if they spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months. You can also get up to $100 back in statement credits during this period if you use the card for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants. Additionally, spending $25,000 in purchases within a calendar year will help you earn 12,500 MQMs up to two times a year. MQMs help boost your status with Delta.
Earn miles through purchases
Eligible purchases help you earn one mile per dollar. But you can earn more by using the card for specific transactions. Rates are 3x miles at hotels and on Delta purchases, and 2x at restaurants and supermarkets
Save up to 20% in the form of a statement credit by using your Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card for eligible in-flight purchases.
Other Features Explained
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card has other features and benefits, including the following:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Trip delay insuranceIf you use your card to pay for a round-trip flight that has to be delayed for more than 12 hours due to a covered reason, this coverage will reimburse certain additional expenses you purchased using the credit card. The maximum amount is $300 per trip for a maximum of two claims per eligible account for every 12-month period.
- Car rental loss and damage insuranceIf you use this credit card to reserve and pay for the entire rental of a vehicle and decline the collision damage waiver from the rental company, you get coverage against damages to or theft of the rental vehicle as long as it is in a covered territory.
- Baggage insurance planThis covers lost, damaged or stolen baggage. To qualify for this insurance, you have to use the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card to purchase the entire fare for a common carrier vehicle ticket. Maximum coverage is $1,250 for carry-on baggage and $500 for checked baggage.
"There’s a really cool Companion Certification perk you’ll get each year you renew this card. Each cardmember anniversary year, you’ll receive a Companion Certificate where you’ll be able to fly a guest of your choice on a roundtrip domestic route with you for free." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Understanding the features, fees and rates associated with the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card is a must to ensure that you are getting the best credit card suitable for your needs. Take note of the APR, transaction fees, annual fees and rewards rate.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$250
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–3 Miles per $1
- Airline Benefits
The APR for purchases made using the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card is 15.74%–24.74%. Meanwhile, the rate for cash advances is 25.24%. If you make one or more late payments or if a payment is returned by the bank, you will have to pay a penalty APR of 29.99%.
The annual fee for the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card is $250.
Miles Rewards Rate
Earn 3x miles at hotels and on direct Delta purchases, 2x miles at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets and 1x miles on other eligible purchases. The miles you earned will be posted to your account 8–12 weeks after the end of the month.
There are various factors you need to consider when choosing the best credit card. You can compare specific features and associated fees to see which card is ideal for your finances. If you already have credit cards, check your billing statements, online accounts and mobile apps to compare them with the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card benefits. You can also check out the credit card agreement database found on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) website.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
To determine if the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card is right for you, review all its features, fees and offers. Consider how you will be using it, and whether it will be your first or only card or an additional card to your wallet.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan on getting a Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card as your first or only card, consider the high APR on purchases. Make sure you are able to pay your monthly bills in full to avoid huge interest payments. If you think you cannot pay in full, try to limit your spending and manage your budget well. To get the most out of the rewards, use it to pay for your purchases with Delta, at restaurants and at supermarkets. In doing so, you can easily stack up your miles.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you already have other credit cards, compare the rewards and fees with what the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card has to offer. Check if there are certain spending patterns you can shift to this credit card. For instance, if your other credit cards have foreign transaction fees, using the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card for international purchases may be the better option. The annual membership fee for this credit card is high. Try using it as much as possible on eligible purchases and Delta bookings to earn miles faster.
For this American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card review, MoneyGeek used a methodology that includes the collection of information from the credit card companies and the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database. In evaluating each company, MoneyGeek used standardized data points based on fees, bonuses and rewards. MoneyGeek conducts a review process monthly to reflect any changes in credit card details and offers.
How American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card Compares to Other Cards
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card is a good option for frequent travelers looking for a credit card with various travel perks, opportunities to earn and redeem miles and make international purchases without worrying about transaction fees. However, it may not be the ideal option for every credit card user. It has a higher annual fee and APR compared to some credit cards under the same category.
Quick Comparison of American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
- Annual Fee: $250
- APR on purchases: 15.74%–24.74%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Travel Perks: Earn Medallion Qualification Miles for a status boost, first checked bag free, access to Delta SkyClub for $39 per person per visit
- Best for: Frequent Delta flyers who want to enjoy some travel perks and stack up points to reach elite status
Mastercard Titanium Card
- Annual Fee: $195
- APR on purchases: 14.99%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Travel Perks: Earn airfare and cash back redemptions, travel accident insurance, fraud liability protection
- Best for: Frequent travelers looking for a rewards credit card for luxury travel/hotel perks
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
To better understand the American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card, here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding its features. Use the following information to decide whether this credit card is right for you.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
The American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card offers various benefits. However, it may not be the ideal card for your needs. Consider other credit cards if you want a credit card for business or the best rewards card.
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card Application Terms." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- American Express. "Delta SkyMiles Platinum Credit Card." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2020 J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- Mastercard. "Mastercard Titanium Card." Accessed September 3, 2021.