The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
An excellent card for earning Delta SkyMiles
- 1–3 Miles per $1Rewards Rate
- 20.99% – 29.99% VariableAPR
- $250Annual Fee
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
For this Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card review, MoneyGeek used a methodology that includes the collection of information from the credit card companies and the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database. In evaluating each company, MoneyGeek used standardized data points based on fees, bonuses and rewards. MoneyGeek conducts a review process monthly to reflect any changes in credit card details and offers.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Individuals who frequently travel via Delta flights can enjoy Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card benefits. It offers some perks for elite travelers, which may be enough to compensate for the $250 annual fee. Cardholders can earn 3x miles at hotels and on direct Delta purchases, 2x miles at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets, and 1x miles for other eligible purchases. The card can help boost your status as a Delta flyer by earning Medallion Qualification Miles.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card Overview
Other factors to consider when looking for the best credit card are bonuses and rewards. These can help determine if the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card’s features are useful to you or not.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months.
- Earn 3X miles on purchases made directly with Delta and on hotel bookings made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X miles on dining at restaurants, including takeout and delivery, as well as on groceries at U.S. supermarkets.
- All other purchases come with 1X miles.
- Redeem your miles for flight rewards and seat upgrades on Delta flights
- Redeem your miles for flights with partner airlines such as KLM, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Aeromexico and Hawaiian Airlines when booked through Delta.
- Use your miles to get Delta Sky Club membership, buy Delta gift cards or pay for Delta vacations.
- Transfer your miles to friends or family, donate them to charity or use them to pay for magazine subscriptions.
- Check your first bag for free on Delta flights.
- Get a complimentary domestic main cabin round-trip companion certificate for use on Delta flights each year.
- Earn up to $100 as a statement credit toward Global Entry/TSA PreCheck fees once every four/four and a half years.
- Get access to Delta Sky Club® at a rate of $50 per person per visit for you and up to two guests or immediate family when traveling on a Delta flight from now until 12/31/23. Effective 1/1/24, this benefit will no longer be available.
- Earn 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Delta Platinum Card, up to two times through 12/31/23. Effective 1/1/24, this benefit will no longer be available, and there will be a new way to earn toward Medallion Status with the Card. Learn more at delta.com/skymilesprogramchanges.
- Earn 20% back as a statement credit on eligible Delta in-flight purchases, including food, drinks and headsets.
- International transactions come with no foreign transaction fees.
- Stand to benefit through car rental loss and damage insurance, baggage insurance, trip delay insurance, purchase protection and extended warranty.
Important Card Details
Understanding the features, fees and rates associated with the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card is a must to ensure that you are getting the best credit card suitable for your needs. Take note of the APR, transaction fees, annual fees and rewards rate.
The APR for purchases made using the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card is 20.99% – 29.99%. Meanwhile, the rate for cash advances is 29.99%. If you make one or more late payments or if a payment is returned by the bank, you will have to pay a penalty APR of 29.99%.
The annual fee for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is $250.
Miles Rewards Rate
Earn 3x miles at hotels and on direct Delta purchases, 2x miles at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets and 1x miles on other eligible purchases. The miles you earned will be posted to your account 8–12 weeks after the end of the month.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card has other features and benefits, including the following:
- Trip delay insurance: If you use your card to pay for a round-trip flight that has to be delayed for more than 12 hours due to a covered reason, this coverage will reimburse certain additional expenses you purchased using the credit card. The maximum amount is $300 per trip for a maximum of two claims per eligible account for every 12-month period.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance: If you use this credit card to reserve and pay for the entire rental of a vehicle and decline the collision damage waiver from the rental company, you get coverage against damages to or theft of the rental vehicle as long as it is in a covered territory.
- Baggage insurance plan: This covers lost, damaged or stolen baggage. To qualify for this insurance, you have to use the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card to purchase the entire fare for a common carrier vehicle ticket. Maximum coverage is $1,250 for carry-on baggage and $500 for checked baggage.
- Additional card: A Delta SkyMiles Platinum cardholder can add an additional card for an individual aged 13 or up. The primary cardholder earns miles from the purchases on the additional card.
- Customer support: Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card customer service is available 24/7 to those who travel more than 100 miles from home. Through the Global Assist Hotline, you can get emergency assistance and coordination services like medical and legal referrals. Additionally, American Express had the highest ranking in J.D. Power’s 2020 Credit Card Satisfaction Study.
How the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card Compares To Other Cards
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is a good option for frequent travelers looking for a credit card with various travel perks, opportunities to earn and redeem miles and make international purchases without worrying about transaction fees. However, it may not be the ideal option for every credit card user. It has a higher annual fee and APR compared to some credit cards under the same category.
How the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card Compares
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Annual Fee: $250
- APR on purchases: 20.99% – 29.99% variable
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Travel Perks: Earn Medallion Qualification Miles for a status boost, first checked bag free, access to Delta SkyClub for $39 per person per visit
- Best for: Frequent Delta flyers who want to enjoy some travel perks and stack up points to reach elite status
Mastercard® Titanium Card™
- Annual Fee: $195
- APR on purchases: 21.24%, 25.43% or 28.24%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Travel Perks: Earn airfare and cash back redemptions, travel accident insurance, fraud liability protection
- Best for: Frequent travelers looking for a rewards credit card for luxury travel/hotel perks
Frequently Asked Questions
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.