Featuring a lucrative rewards system and plenty of business perks, the Business Gold Card from American Express is perfect for entrepreneurs and business owners who want to make the most out of their business expenses.
American Express Business Gold Card Review
The American Express Business Gold Card offers one of the best and most flexible rewards systems for business owners, even with the $295 annual fee. Out of six bonus categories, you can earn 4x Membership Rewards points per $1 spent in the two categories where your business spends the most. This applies to the first $150,000 spent per calendar year and can adjust every billing cycle, giving you the flexibility to earn in different categories over time. On all other purchases, you get one point per $1.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
American Express Business Gold Card at a Glance
Best suited for high-spending business owners, the Business Gold Card from American Express lets you maximize your purchases and benefit from a generous welcome bonus.
- American Express Business Gold Card
A dynamic rewards card for high-spending business owners
- Good–ExcellentCredit Needed
- $295Annual Fee
- 1–4 Points per $1Rewards Rate
- 1xRewards Rate on TV, Phone, Internet Services
- 4xRewards Rate on Gas
Pros & Cons Explained
The American Express Business Gold Card benefits can be valuable for business owners who spend a lot in any of the six bonus categories. However, there are areas where the card could improve that are worth noting.
- Attractive RewardsGet 4x points for every $1 in two business categories you spend the most in. This includes purchases from the following categories: airfare purchased directly from the airline, gas stations, restaurants, advertising in select media and purchases from select technology providers.
- Sizable Welcome BonusIf you spend $10,000 within the first three months upon account opening, you get 70,000 Membership Rewards points.
- Versatile Point UsageThe American Express Membership Rewards can be transferred to a variety of hotels and airlines thanks to the company’s partnerships. Points can also be used for statement credit, select merchant checkouts or even your next flight.
- No Foreign Transaction FeeFrequent fliers can use the Business Gold Card from American Express to pay for their purchases abroad, as the card has no foreign transaction fees.
- No Preset LimitsThere is no preset credit limit on this card, but it does change based on your spending habits and credit history.
- High annual feeIn exchange for the high rewards rate, the Business Gold Card has an annual fee of $295. This may seem steep, but if the card is used wisely and you spend at least $305 per month in your 4x categories, you can easily recoup the cost.
- No elite travel benefitsFor all that it offers in travel rewards, this card does not offer any airport lounge access or elite status.
The benefits of the American Express Business Gold Card earned it a place in our best travel cards list. Take a look at other cards suited for travel to see if they are preferable for your spending habits.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The American Express Business Gold Card is loaded with a bonus rewards system and perks suited for business owners with significant expenses or frequent flyers.
Get 70,000 points if you spend $10,000 within the first three months upon account opening.
Dynamic Rewards Structure
The Business Gold Card from American Express has six categories where you can earn 4x points from any two you spend the most on. Categories include airfare purchased directly from the airline, gas stations, restaurants, advertising in select media, shipping and services from select technology providers. This is up to a limit of $150,000 per calendar year, then all remaining purchases get 1x in points. All other purchases outside of the bonus categories also get 1x points.
You can offset travel costs by booking through the Amex Travel portal. Using your points through the Pay With Points feature grants you 1.25¢ per point (which includes a 25% bonus) for all flights on a single carrier of your choosing. The 25% points rebate can still apply to other carriers, but only for business and first-class tickets.
The Hotel Collection
Get access to the Amex Hotel Collection. This gives you $100 in room credit and an upgrade (if available) if you’re staying at a partner hotel for more than two nights and booked it through American Express Travel.
Other Features Explained
There are more American Express Business Gold Card benefits beyond its unique rewards structure. These other features work behind the scenes to provide you with an overall great experience.
- Card FeatureDescription
- 24/7 Customer ServiceIf you come across an issue with your credit card, you can call American Express any time, anywhere. They have a dedicated hotline for fraud, a customer service chat through their online portal and mobile app and a customer service hotline for all other inquiries.
- Car Rental and Travel ProtectionAmerican Express cardholders get secondary car rental loss and damage insurance, trip delay insurance and baggage insurance.
- Pay Over TimeEligible cardholders can get help paying for significant purchases over $100.
"The Hotel Collection is an underutilized benefit that has the potential for incredible travel redemptions and upgrades in luxury hotels around the world. Be sure to take advantage of this benefit on the Amex Business Gold Card." — Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Given the hefty annual fee, it’s important to understand all the fees involved with the American Express Business Gold Card.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$295
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–4 Points per $1
- Airline Benefits
All purchases have a variable APR of 14.24%–22.24%, which is based on your creditworthiness and the market’s prime rate. Purchases under $100 have to be paid in full the following payment period, while those above $100 can go through the Pay Over Time program for a flexible payment program.
If you pay past your due date, a fee of $39 or 2.99% applies, whichever is greater. Returned payments also get a flat fee of $39.
Get four Membership Rewards points for every $1 spent in two bonus categories you spend the most in each billing period. This is capped at $150,000 per year across all categories. All other purchases not part of your top two categories get the base rate of one point per dollar. You can get 4x the rewards from two of the six categories:
- Airfare purchased directly from the airline
- Advertising from select media
- Gas stations
- Shipping expenses
- Hardware, software and cloud purchases
Business owners who want to compare the American Express Business Gold Card against other business cards should take a look at the rewards rate and the additional perks included. Look at how many points you can get per dollar and try to maximize your points according to your financial spending habits. You can find this information on the card issuer’s website or the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider American Express Business Gold Card?
Other Considerations for American Express Business Gold Card
The benefits of the Business Gold Card are best for business owners who spend significantly in at least one of the six categories. Ultimately, however, your financial situation and habits will dictate whether or not this card is right for you.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
While the Business Gold Card’s rewards are appealing, qualifying for it can be difficult. Applicants must have a credit score above 660 to have a chance at approval. Not to mention, the high annual fee makes it vital for cardholders to offset costs by taking advantage of the rewards system. This can be difficult for small business owners who don’t have significant costs, as you must spend at least $2,000 per month in any of the bonus categories to benefit from the card.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
It’s important to keep in mind the card’s high annual fee when deciding if the Business Gold Card will be an addition to the cards in your business wallet. Ensure that you can reap the rewards and balance the costs between cards as much as possible. Otherwise, you may be better off with a rewards card that has no annual fees.
MoneyGeek’s American Express Business Gold Card review follows a six-step process used in all our credit card reviews. This involves gathering all the information on the card and standardizing data points to make it easier for comparison. We then estimate average spending profiles and factor in any introductory or welcome bonuses, all of which lets us establish the three-year value of the card. Monthly re-rankings are conducted in order to factor in any new offers or bonuses.
How American Express Business Gold Card Compares to Other Cards
The Business Gold Card from American Express holds its own given its dynamic rewards structure. However, those looking for more travel perks may find that other cards have better payouts. When it comes down to it, how this card compares against others will depend on the financial situation and needs of each business.
Quick Comparison of American Express Business Gold Card
American Express Business Gold Card
- Rewards Rate: 4x Membership Rewards per $1 on two bonus categories for the first $150,000 spent on eligible purchases per calendar year, 1x on everything else
- APR: 14.24%–22.24%
- Annual Fee: $295
- Welcome Bonus: 70,000 points after spending $10,000 within the first three months
- Mini Verdict: Best for businesses with high spending in specific categories
American Express Blue Business Plus Credit Card
- Rewards Rate: 2x Membership Rewards Points per $1 for the first $50,000 spent per year then 1x points per $1
- APR: 13.24%–19.24%
- Annual Fee: None
- Welcome Bonus: 0% intro APR for the first 12 months
- Mini Verdict: Best for businesses with average spending across all categories
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
The American Express Business Gold Card benefits are appealing — but this card isn’t for everyone. Below are a few frequently asked questions that can help business owners determine whether this card is for them.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
The benefits that come with the Business Gold Card are appealing. It’s a solid choice for business owners who spend a lot in at least one of their six bonus categories — but it’s not a card for everyone. With such a high annual fee, smaller businesses may opt for a different business card with no annual fees or more bonus categories. To find one that suits you, check out MoneyGeek’s list of best credit cards for small businesses today.
American Express Cash Magnet Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa for Rebuilding Credit
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
Destiny Unsecured Mastercard
Capital One QuicksilverOne Rewards
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
American Express Hilton Honors Card
Chase Freedom Unlimited
American Express Blue Business Cash Card
Mastercard Black Card
American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card
Capital One SavorOne Rewards
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Citi Premier Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Citi Secured Mastercard
American Express Business Gold Card
Capital One Spark Miles
Chase IHG Rewards Club Traveler
Citi Rewards+ Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards
Citi Double Cash Card
Capital One Journey Student Rewards
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
American Express Business Platinum Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Chase United Business
U.S. Bank Altitude Go Visa Signature
Capital One Venture
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business Card
Chase Ink Business Cash
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
American Express Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
American Express Delta SkyMiles Gold Card
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
Chase United Club Infinite
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Ink Business Preferred
Chase United Explorer
Mastercard Titanium Card
Chase United Gateway
American Express Delta SkyMiles Blue Card
American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Express. "American Express Business Gold Card." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- American Express. "Check to see if you Pre-Qualify for Offers." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- American Express. "The Hotel Collection." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- American Express. "IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING RATES, FEES, AND OTHER COST INFORMATION: BUSINESS GOLD CARD." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- American Express. "No Pre-Set Spending Limit on Purchases." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "While Many U.S. Credit Card Issuers Struggle to Meet Evolving Customer Expectations, Some Bright Spots Exist, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed September 2, 2021.