Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Structural Damage?

Enter your ZIP code to get started


Free. Simple. Secure.

Updated: May 22, 2024

Advertising & Editorial Disclosure

Standard homeowners insurance policies usually cover structural damage on your property. This includes your foundation, ceiling, flooring, roof and more. Your policy protects these structures under dwelling coverage in the event of unexpected damage.

Keep in mind that you are expected to do the necessary maintenance on your home. This means that general wear and tear damages are not covered by your policy. However, if you can make your case, you can get away with getting coverage on wear and tear damage if you can prove that the damage was completely invisible.

Your homeowners insurance covers the expenses for structural damage on your property that occurred due to covered perils. But, the coverage only applies to the structures themselves.

In this article:

Compare Home Insurance Rates

Ensure you're getting the best rate for your home insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.

When Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Structural Damage?

The dwelling coverage from your homeowners insurance policy covers damages to the structure in your property due to weather damage, vandalism, explosion and other natural calamities. You’ll be protected if any of these listed hazards cause the damage.

mglogo icon
  • If the structure of your home is damaged in a fire, you’ll be covered.
  • When a part of your house collapses due to weather damage such as snow or ice, this will be covered by your homeowners insurance.
  • If a tornado damages the structure of your house, your insurance provider will help cover the cost of repairs.

Keep in mind that some perils may not be covered by insurance. For example, your insurance policy won't cover the damages that are caused by poor design or substandard materials.

When Doesn’t Homeowners Insurance Cover Structural Damage?

There are several situations when structures might not be covered by your homeowners insurance. Some include poor workmanship, neglect of your home or issues in your foundation. For instance, homeowners insurance doesn’t cover damage from rotting wood or mold, especially if you were aware of it and did not do anything to prevent the damage from occurring.

Compare Home Insurance Rates

Ensure you're getting the best rate for your home insurance. Compare quotes from the top insurance companies.

How to Prevent Structural Damage

While the best homeowners insurance protects you financially, it’s better to avoid damages to the structure of your home in the first place. Ensuring the structure's safety includes preparing for extreme weather conditions by maximizing security.

MoneyGeek explains preventive measures that can help you increase the safety of your home.

    checkSign icon

    Keep the Drainage Clean

    This prevents any water damage to the foundation of your house. When floods or storms happen, floodwater easily flows and won’t get stuck around your home.

    smartphone icon

    Call for Home Inspectors

    Conduct a regular maintenance check on your property. Check if there are wall cracks, uneven floors or roof damage. Then, make sure to repair these damages to avoid any further deterioration.

Where to Buy Homeowners Insurance

You can buy homeowners insurance from most major insurers such as Progressive, State Farm or GEICO. Many smaller insurers, such as Hippo or Lemonade, also offer homeowners insurance. MoneyGeek highly recommends shopping around for home insurance to get the best provider for your needs.

Usually, people in the U.S. pay $175 per month for homeowners insurance. However, the actual rate varies. See how much you might pay for a policy by using MoneyGeek’s personal property calculator below.


Total: $0

About Mark Fitzpatrick

Mark Fitzpatrick headshot

Mark Fitzpatrick has analyzed the property and casualty insurance market for over five years, conducting original research and creating personalized content for every kind of buyer. Currently, he leads P&C insurance content production at MoneyGeek. Fitzpatrick has been quoted in several insurance-related publications, including CNBC, NBC News and Mashable.

Fitzpatrick earned a master’s degree in economics and international relations from Johns Hopkins University and a bachelor’s degree from Boston College. He is passionate about using his knowledge of economics and insurance to bring transparency around financial topics and help others feel confident in their money moves.