The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Discover it® Miles
A good no-annual-fee travel credit card with an introductory 0% APR offer
- 1.5 MilesRewards Rate
- 17.24% – 28.24% VariableAPR
- $0Annual Fee
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
When reviewing credit cards, MoneyGeek follows a structured and streamlined approach. This involves collecting information from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's database, standardizing the data points for easy comparison, estimating average spend profiles, determining long-term value and performing regular re-rankings.
The Discover it® Miles credit card is a simple yet solid option for those who want to start earning travel rewards at no annual cost. Aside from offering 1.5 miles per dollar spent on any purchase, the card’s welcome bonus will match all the miles earned in your first year, allowing you to double your rewards. However, if you’re looking to maximize your travel rewards, you may want to opt for a card with a higher rewards rate, as it may take a while to accrue enough miles for your travel needs.
Discover it® Miles Overview
Featuring a simple yet solid rewards program and an enticing welcome bonus, the Discover it® Miles benefits budget travelers and minimalist card holders.
- No annual and foreign transaction fees
- Regular APR: 16.99% – 27.99% variable
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99%
- Balance transfer fee of 3% until October 10, 2023, and 5% thereafter
- Earn 1.5x miles per dollar on all purchases
- Mile-for-mile match by Discover in the first year
- Redeem miles to cover previous travel purchases, as a direct deposit or to checkout at Amazon or PayPal
- No penalty APR
- Free access to FICO Score
Important Card Details
The Discover it® Miles can save you money on travel, but it’s important to consider the card’s interest rates and fees before applying.
Introductory and Regular Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
With the Discover it® Miles, you’ll pay 0% APR for the first 15 months. Afterward, you’ll pay between 16.99% – 27.99%, depending on your credit score and evaluation.
Travel Rewards Rate
You stand to earn 1.5 miles for every dollar on any purchase. There is no limit to the number of miles you can earn per year and no expiration, which means you do not have to spend your travel rewards within a specified period of time.
Penalty Fees (Late and Returned Payment)
Discover charges no fee for your first missed payment. However, every late payment made afterwards will have a charge of up to $40. All returned payments will be subject to a $40 fee, regardless if it was your first offense.
Balance Transfer APR
Discover offers balance transfer APRs at 16.99% – 27.99%.
The Discover it® Miles has an APR of 29.99% on cash advances.
Beyond offering travel rewards, the Discover it® Miles card offers users plenty of other features.
- Fraud Protection: Discover monitors your cards and accounts 24/7 for possible fraud. You won’t be responsible for any unauthorized purchases made with your card.
- Freeze It®: Discover allows you to freeze your account quickly and easily through their online portal, preventing any new purchases, cash advances or balance transfers if your card is stolen.
- Inquiry and New Account Alerts: Discover monitors your credit report for you, and will notify you if anyone pulls your report or opens a new account.
- FICO® Credit Scorecard: Discover lets you check your FICO score without impacting your credit, which is a great way to monitor your credit without it impacting your score.
- Customer Service: Discover has a 100% U.S.-based customer service team ready to help you 24/7, which means that if you have an issue, you can easily reach out to them for assistance.
How the Discover it® Miles Compares To Other Cards
The Discover it® Miles card's versatility makes it stand out as a no-fee travel card. However, whether or not it’s right for you depends on your needs and what you’re looking for.
How the Discover it® Miles Compares
Discover it® Miles
- APR: 16.99% – 27.99% variable
- Reward rate: 1.5 miles per $1
- Annual fee: $0
- Welcome bonus: Matched miles for the first year with no limit.
- Best for: Individuals who want to earn higher bonus points on everyday spending and plan to spend a lot in their first year
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
- APR: 20.74% – 29.74% variable
- Reward rate: Up to 2 miles per dollar
- Annual fee: $0
- Welcome bonus: 10,000 miles if you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first six months
- Best for: People who fly with Delta Air Lines and wish to earn rewards without paying annual fees
Frequently Asked Questions
- Discover. "Discover It Miles." Accessed April 12, 2022.
- Discover. "Discover it® Miles Application." Accessed April 12, 2022.
- Discover. "Credit Card Benefits: Discover Card Rewards." Accessed April 12, 2022.
- Discover. "Mobile." Accessed April 12, 2022.
- Discover. "Should You Request a Credit Line Increase?." Accessed April 12, 2022.
- J.D. Power. "While Many U.S. Credit Card Issuers Struggle to Meet Evolving Customer Expectations, Some Bright Spots Exist, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed April 12, 2022.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.