The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Citi Rewards+® Card
A solid rewards card with low fees
- 1–2 Points per $1*Rewards Rate
- 18.74% – 28.74% VariableAPR
- $0Annual Fee
- ExcellentRecommended Credit
The MoneyGeek team follows a rigorous review process when evaluating credit cards. We collect data from various sources, including the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database. We use a standardized approach to data points and spending profiles, and factor in bonuses and other offers. Our team regularly reruns the process to ensure our data, rankings and recommendations remain up to date.
The Citi Rewards+® Card rewards two ThankYou points for every dollar spent at supermarkets and gas stations. It also has a unique feature of rounding up the points earned to the nearest 10, which can boost points earned on small purchases. It comes with a sign-up bonus and an annual points rebate, and it has no annual fee.
However, there’s a spending cap on the categories that earn doubled points. The round-up feature is interesting, but it’s only valuable for small purchases. The card’s many rules might turn off some consumers, especially since there are simpler options.
Citi Rewards+® Card Overview
Like some other Citi cards, all purchases made using the Citi Rewards+® Card earn ThankYou points. Depending on how you redeem them, points yield a different value. However, it usually converts to roughly one cent per point.
The Citi Rewards+® Card rewards 2x points for every dollar spent at supermarkets and gas stations. There’s a spending cap of $6,000 per year in these categories, though. All purchases beyond that, including purchases in other categories, earn 1x points. Note that superstores like Walmart and wholesale clubs like Costco do not qualify as “supermarkets.”
ThankYou points are redeemable in various ways, including:
- Gift cards
- Cash rewards (check, direct deposit or statement credit)
- Travel rewards
- Shop at online retailers
- Mortgage payments
- Student loan payments
The Citi Rewards+® Card also has some other welcome features and benefits:
- Earn 2x points on groceries and gas for the first $6,000 per year. After that, as with other payment categories, you earn 1x points per dollar.
- Earn 20,000 ThankYou points after spending $1,500 within three months from account opening (worth $200 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com)
- 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and your first balance transfer. After that, the variable APR will be 18.49% – 28.49%, based on your creditworthiness.
- The card automatically rounds up all points earned to the nearest 10, with no limit
- Earn a 10% rebate on the first 100,000 points you redeem per year
Important Card Details
Take note of the fees associated with the Citi Rewards+ Card and how they can impact your spending habits.
This card comes with a variable APR of 18.49% – 28.49%, depending on the cardholder’s creditworthiness. This APR applies to all purchases.
Points Rewards Rate
You earn 2x points for all supermarket and gas purchases, with a spending cap of $6,000 per year. After that, and for all other purchases, you earn 1x points. Additionally, the card rounds up all points earned to the nearest 10. There is no limit to the points you earn, and they don’t expire.
Balance Transfer Fee
For balance transfers, you need to pay either $5 or 3% of the amount, whichever is greater.
Foreign Transaction Fee
You need to pay a 3% foreign transaction fee whenever the card is used outside the U.S.
Aside from its rewards, the Citi Rewards+® Card has other benefits that might be helpful for your everyday needs.
- Digital wallet: Shop easily and safely online through Citi’s digital wallet option. This allows you to speed through the checkout process without providing your card information.
- Contactless pay: By simply tapping on eligible card readers, you can shop safely with the Citi Rewards+® Card.
- 24/7 customer service: You’ll gain access to Citi’s helpful and professional customer service representatives 24/7.
- Citi Entertainment: The card provides you with special access to some of the most anticipated concerts, sporting events and dining experiences of the year.
How the Citi Rewards+® Card Compares To Other Cards
The Citi Rewards+® Card is the only card we know of on the market that rounds up points. That may be useful for people who frequently make small purchases, but the card’s features are lackluster compared with other no-annual-fee cards.
How the Citi Rewards+® Card Compares
Citi Rewards+® Card
- Annual Fee: $0
- Rewards: 2x points on the first $6,000 of supermarket and gas purchases, 1 point on other purchases
- Sign-up Bonus: 20,000 points after spending $1,500 within three months from account opening
- Intro APR: 0% APR on purchases for 15 months; 0% APR for 15 months on first balance transfer, then a variable APR of 18.49% – 28.49%
- Best for: People who frequently spend on everyday items or those with another Citi card who want to maximize their rewards earning potential
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Annual Fee: $0
- Rewards: 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase, 3% cash back on restaurants and drugstores, 1.5% cash back on all other purchases
- Sign-up Bonus: $200 cash back after spending $500 on purchases within three months from account opening
- Intro APR: 0% APR on purchases for 15 months, then a variable APR of 20.24% –28.99%
- Best For: People looking for a no-annual-fee card that rewards purchases with low-effort cash back rewards
Frequently Asked Questions
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.