The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is packed with travel benefits to make up for its annual fee of $450. Big spenders will also find themselves on the fast-track to elite status thanks to the card being part of American’s suite of co-branded credit cards.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® at a Glance
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® offers membership to American Airlines’ exclusive Admirals Club. No other credit card offers this perk. It also offers your first checked bag free and the ability to add authorized users at no additional cost.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
The best card for access to the Admirals Club
- 1–2 Miles per $1*Rewards Rate
- $450Annual Fee
- 20.99% – 29.99% VariableAPR
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
Pros & Cons Explained
The biggest advantage of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is its access to the Admirals Club. While the card does have other perks, it does have some downsides as well.
- Admirals Club MembershipCiti® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® cardholders get a membership to the Admirals Club. This grants you access to lounges and complimentary amenities like shower suites and business centers.
- Elite status boostIf you’re a big spender aiming for an elite status, you can earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on the first $40,000 spent in eligible purchases per calendar year.
- Travel perksGet your first checked bag free for yourself and up to eight companions, along with priority check-in, airport screening and boarding privileges.
- Authorized usersAdd up to 10 authorized users, free of charge. Users can also get access, but not membership, to the Admirals Club lounges and bring two travel companions.
- High annual feeThe card comes with a whopping $450 annual fee.
- Low ongoing rewards rateIf you aim to amass a lot of frequent flyer miles, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is not the best choice. The ongoing rewards rate is 2 miles for every $1 spent on an American Airlines purchase and 1 mile for all other purchases. To earn miles, there are other cards with lower annual fees that have more popular bonus categories.
- Limited airline choicesAs an airline card, you can only redeem your miles at American Airlines or their Oneworld partners. This may prove to be inconvenient if you often fly with airlines outside of their network.
If you are looking to earn miles, gain travel perks at a lower cost or just want to compare the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® with other credit cards, review MoneyGeek’s list of the best travel credit cards in 2022.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® benefits grant frequent flyers an added level of comfort. Review exactly what this card has to offer below.
Membership to the Admirals Club
By simply having the card, you can get access to almost 50 Admirals Club lounges worldwide with your immediate family or up to two traveling guests. You also get to save on costs, as their annual membership can go up to $650 a year, while their day passes cost $59. On that note, make sure you visit the Admiral Club lounges at least eight times a year to maximize your membership.
For every $1 spent on eligible purchases at American Airlines, you can earn two miles. All other purchases get one mile per $1 spent.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® has a welcome bonus that offers 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $5,000 within the first three months of opening your account.
World Elite Mastercard benefits
There are a host of benefits that come with the World Elite Mastercard program. You can get exclusive offers for ridesharing, dining, entertainment, shopping and more.
Other Features Explained
While the Admirals Club membership is the winning feature of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, this card has some notable behind-the-scenes perks.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Customer serviceIf you have any questions or concerns, Citi offers customer service online, over the phone or in any of their branches.
- Purchase protectionGet up to $10,000 of coverage per item for 120 days from purchase, with a limit of $50,000 a year.
- $0 liability on unauthorized chargesIf a purchase was made on your card that you did not authorize, be it online or in-person, you are not responsible for it.
If you’re on any American Airlines flight, remember to use your Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® to pay for food or beverages to get 25% back in the form of a statement credit. There is no limit to how often you can apply this.
Understanding the Fine Print
The high annual fee of the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard is something that requires considerable evaluation. Take a look at all the details that come with owning this card.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR20.99% – 29.99% Variable
- Annual Fee$450
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–2 Miles per $1*
- Airline Benefits
In order to obtain the card, you must pay an annual fee of $450.
There are no 0% introductory APR periods for this card, and the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® comes with a relatively high variable APR of 20.99% – 29.99%. Your exact rate depends on the market prime rate along with your creditworthiness at the time of approval.
For every balance transfer, a fee of $5 or 5% of the amount is paid, whichever is greater. The APR is also similar to the regular variable APR of the card, at 20.99% – 29.99%.
An APR of 29.99% is applied to cash advances, along with a fee of $10 or 5% of the amount that was advanced, whichever is greater.
If you make a late payment or have a payment that gets returned, a fee of $40 will apply along with a 29.99% APR. This APR may be applied indefinitely, but you can always plead your case if either occurrence were a one-time thing.
To find out if the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is best for you, make sure to compare its travel perks and annual fee against other rewards cards. Look for these details on the card provider’s website or via the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s credit card agreement database.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®?
Other Considerations for Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
Traveling with the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® in your wallet will grant you extra comfort thanks to its perks, but how this benefits you will ultimately depend on your financial habits.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
Alone, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is a costly credit card that provides valuable but limited travel perks. The card’s most appealing aspect is that it offers Admirals Club membership. However, if you don’t frequently travel, it may be difficult to justify the annual cost. It also isn’t ideal to build your whole miles or points-earning strategy around this card as it can get very expensive. If you can’t take advantage of the Admirals Club membership, you may be better off with a different rewards credit card.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Frequent flyers who apply for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® solely for the Admirals Club perks or to fast-track their elite status must keep the annual fee in mind. $450 is a steep price to pay and can clash with other cards, but it can work well with low or no annual fee travel cards. This is because you can get better rewards from other spending categories and save more in the long run.
When reviewing credit cards, MoneyGeek takes all factors into account. We start by collecting data on the card from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and standardizing data points for ranking calculations to estimate and create average spend profiles. Then, we factor in any introductory bonuses and finish up by establishing the three-year value of the card. To ensure our recommendations and data stay up-to-date, we conduct this process monthly to re-rank cards as needed.
How Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® Compares to Other Cards
Compared to other travel rewards credit cards, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®’s benefits are lacking. It can be helpful to evaluate the card against a similar option to determine if it’s right for you.
Quick Comparison of Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- Regular APR: 20.99% – 29.99% variable
- Annual Fee: $450
- Rewards Rate: Two miles per $1 on American Airlines purchases, one mile per $1 for everything else
- Mini Verdict: Best for access to Admirals Club
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
- Regular APR: 19.74% – 29.74% variable
- Annual Fee: None
- Rewards Rate: 1.25 miles per $1 on all purchases
- Mini Verdict: Best for an affordable travel card that can easily earn across categories
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
If you plan to apply for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, make sure you know all the facts.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
Having access to the Admirals Club can be enticing, but it may not be what you need. Evaluate your needs and financial capacity as a traveler and take a look at other travel rewards to figure out which one is right for you. You could also evaluate gas cards, cash back cards or even student cards if you are a student.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
Discover it® Student chrome
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
NHL® Discover it®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
BankAmericard® credit card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Bank of America® Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
Amazon Business Card
Discover it® Miles
Discover it® Secured Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
United℠ Explorer Card
USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
USAA® Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Secured Card
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Milestone Mastercard® - $700 Credit Limit
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Mastercard® Black Card™
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Credit Card for Students
Learn more about credit cards in general
- American Airlines. "Admirals Club." Accessed September 8, 2021.
- Citi. "Contact Us." Accessed September 8, 2021.
- Citi. "Citi Mobile® App." Accessed September 8, 2021.
- Citi. "Citi Tops J.D. Power Study of Customer Satisfaction with Retail Banking Advice." Accessed September 8, 2021.
- Mastercard. "World Elite Mastercard." Accessed September 8, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.