United Quest℠ Card Review
United Airlines flyers who are looking to earn miles through expenses can benefit from the United Quest℠ Card. While the annual fee isn’t cheap, its generous welcome offer and yearly benefits make it a worthwhile card, especially after the first year.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
The United Quest℠ Card is a solid option for semi-frequent United Airlines flyers. It has a $250 annual fee, but its yearly United credit and free checked bags can help offset the cost. With this card, you’ll earn bonus miles on travel, dining and select streaming services. You also won’t have to worry about paying for foreign transaction fees if you use the card abroad.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
United Quest℠ Card at a Glance
You can get plenty of value from the United Quest℠ Card if you’re a semi-frequent United flyer with a good to excellent credit score. It offers a welcome bonus of 80,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- United Quest℠ Card
A good choice for United Airlines flyers looking to earn more miles and enjoy some travel perks
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $250Annual Fee
- 1–3 Miles per $1Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 1xRewards Rate on Groceries
Pros & Cons Explained
The United Quest℠ Card’s benefits and rewards are enough to tempt anyone interested in earning United miles. However, it pays to consider its limitations before deciding whether this card is the best option for you.
- $125 annual United creditEach anniversary year, you can receive up to $125 in statement credits toward United purchases charged to your United Quest℠ Card. It covers most purchases made with United, including airline tickets, incidental fees and in-flight services. But while this credit makes up for half of the annual fee, it won’t let you earn United miles for your spending.
- Two 5,000-mile award flight creditsAfter completing an eligible award flight with United, you'll receive 5,000 miles back to your frequent flyer account. You can receive this benefit up to two times every anniversary year, for a total of 10,000 miles.
- Free checked bagsYou and one travel companion on the same reservation will each get a free first and second checked bags on United-operated flights. Typically, United charges $35 for the first bag and $45 for the second, so this perk can help you save up to $320 per roundtrip.
- MileagePlus program benefitsYou can earn 500 Premier Qualifying Points (PQP) for every $12,000 you spend on purchases with the card, and up to 3,000 PQP per calendar year.
- High APRThe United Quest℠ Card comes with a variable APR of 20.74% – 27.74%. This can result in significant interest if you fail to pay your monthly bill in full. You may also be subjected to a penalty APR of up to 29.99% if you are late on your payment.
- No lounge accessThe United Quest℠ Card doesn’t come with any airport lounge access, which might be a huge drawback if you consider this specific perk a top priority. As it stands, this card is better suited for frequent flyers who don’t spend much time in the airport.
Every month, MoneyGeek analyzes each credit card in our database and determines our top picks for different card categories. Compare the United Quest℠ Card with the best travel credit cards of 2021 and see which one meets your specific needs.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
With the United Quest℠ Card, you can earn miles relatively quickly. It offers a hefty welcome bonus and makes collecting extra bonus points easy through travel purchases, restaurants and streaming services. And since United miles never expire, you’ll have plenty to use whenever you want to travel.
>>MORE: CHASE ULTIMATE REWARDS: PROGRAM GUIDE
With the United Quest℠ Card, new cardholders can earn 80,000 bonus miles if they spend $5,000 in the first three months.
Miles reward rate
The United Quest℠ Card can earn you 3 miles per $1 spent on United purchases. You’ll also get 2 miles per $1 spent on other eligible travel purchases, including other airlines, hotels, car rentals and rideshare services. Likewise, you’ll receive 2 miles for every $1 you spend on restaurants and select streaming subscriptions. Aside from those, you will also earn 1 mile per $1 on all your other purchases.
You can use your miles to book flights with other member airlines of the Star Alliance network, which consists of 26 airlines, including United. Your miles can also be redeemed for car rentals, hotels, electronics, home goods and more.
Other Features Explained
When choosing the best credit card for you, it’s important to consider various factors, including purchase protection and customer satisfaction. Take a look at United Quest℠ Card’s benefits and features:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Reimbursement for delayed or lost luggageYou can get reimbursed up to $100 per day for three days for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing if your baggage is delayed for more than six hours. Meanwhile, if your luggage is lost or damaged by the carrier, you can be covered up to $3,000 per passenger.
- Reimbursement for trip cancellation, interruption or delayIf your trip is canceled or cut short due to covered circumstances, you can be refunded up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip. For trip delays of more than 12 hours and require an overnight stay, you are covered up to $500 per ticket for unreimbursed expenses, such as meals and lodging.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage WaiverThe United Quest℠ Card offers primary rental car coverage, which means you can get reimbursed up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage.
You can earn up to 100,000 bonus miles per year for referring friends. Receive an additional 20,000 bonus miles for each friend that gets approved for any United MileagePlus Card they apply for.
Understanding the Fine Print
When evaluating whether the United Quest℠ Card is right for you, it’s important to read and understand the fine print. This typically contains additional information such as interest rates, annual fees and balance transfer fees. By evaluating these associated fees, you can avoid incurring unexpected costs and make better financial decisions.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR20.74% – 27.74% variable
- Annual Fee$250
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–3 Miles per $1
- Airline Benefits
The United Quest℠ Card comes with a high variable APR of 20.74% – 27.74%. This APR may vary with the market based on the prevailing prime rate. You can avoid having this interest charged to your account by paying your balance in full and on time every month.
The United Quest℠ Card has a $250 annual fee, which might discourage you. However, you can cut the cost in half by using the card’s $125 annual credit on United purchases. Take advantage of its award-flight credits and free checked bags to extract even more value from the card.
Balance transfer APR and fee
You can move high-interest rate debt to cards with lower interest rates by using balance transfer. The United Quest℠ Card has a balance transfer APR of 20.74% – 27.74%. It charges a fee of either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. For example, you’ll be charged $50 for a $1,000 balance transfer.
When comparing the United Quest℠ Card to other cards of the same category, look closely at the APR and other associated fees. You can usually find these details on the card provider’s website, under the link “Pricing and Terms.” Alternatively, you can find information through the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider United Quest℠ Card?
Other Considerations for United Quest℠ Card
Consider your needs and circumstances before submitting a United Quest℠ Card application. Bear in mind that using it as your only card or along with other cards may affect your spending habits.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you’re planning to make the United Quest℠ Card your first or only credit card, make sure that you’re at least a semi-frequent United flyer to enjoy its rewards and benefits. You should also take note of its high variable APR, which can become a problem if you don’t pay your balance in full before its due date each month.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
If you’re planning to use the United Quest℠ Card as an additional credit card, you’ll need to decide whether to shift some spending or purchases to this card so you can earn bonus airline miles. You also have to take into account its high annual fee, and if your budget can accommodate it on top of the bills you’ll have to pay for your other cards.
When it comes to credit card reviews, MoneyGeek follows a streamlined methodology that includes gathering data from Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database, standardizing data points for easy comparison, projecting average spend profiles, determining long-term value and conducting monthly re-rankings.
How United Quest℠ Card Compares to Other Cards
Despite its high annual fee, the United Quest℠ Card is a good card for semi-frequent United flyers looking for a great rewards program. That said, analyzing how it stacks up against other travel credit cards can help in determining whether this card is right for you.
Quick Comparison of United Quest℠ Card
United Quest℠ Card
- Annual Fee: $250
- Purchase APR: 20.74% – 27.74% variable
- Miles Reward Rate: Three miles per dollar spent on United purchases, one mile per dollar spent on other purchases.
- International Transaction Fee: $0
- Best For: Semi-frequent United flyers looking for a card with a great rewards program.
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Annual Fee: $550
- Purchase APR: 19.99% – 28.99% variable
- Miles Reward Rate: Three miles per dollar spent on Delta purchases, one mile per dollar spent on other purchases.
- International Transaction Fee: $0
- Best For: Frequent Delta flyers looking for a card with a great rewards program.
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
By understanding the following frequently asked questions, you can learn more about the United Quest℠ Card.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you’re still unsure about the United Quest℠ Card being right for you, consider taking a look at other credit cards and comparing their features. If you want a different type of card, you can check out MoneyGeek’s selection of rewards cards or cash back cards.
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
American Express Cash Magnet® Card
American Express® Gold Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
World of Hyatt Credit Card
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding Credit
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Mastercard® Black Card™
Mastercard® Titanium Card™
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
American Express® Business Gold Card
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard® Secured Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Iberia Visa Signature® Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
Citi® Double Cash Card
United℠ Business Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
United℠ Explorer Card
United Gateway℠ Card
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Citi Premier® Card
Citi Rewards+® Card
Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
Hilton Honors American Express Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Merrick Bank Double Your Line® Secured Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
Credit One Bank® NASCAR® American Express® Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Chase. "United Quest℠ Card." Accessed December 14, 2021.
- Chase. "Earn Rewards | United Quest℠ Card." Accessed December 14, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed December 15, 2021.
- CFBP. "Credit card agreement database." Accessed December 16, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.