The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
A great miles rewards card with no foreign transaction fee for frequent Southwest customers
- 1–2 Points per $1*Rewards Rate
- 21.49% – 28.49% VariableAPR
- $99Annual Fee
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
MoneyGeek’s methodology and process for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card review includes the gathering of information from the Consumer Finance Bureau’s database and the credit card issuers to ensure accuracy. In evaluating the credit cards, MoneyGeek used standardized points based on fees, bonuses and rewards. This process is repeated regularly as details and offers change.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card benefits individuals who frequently travel on Southwest Airlines and who are looking to earn points for doing so. It is a basic card with an annual fee of $99 and no transaction fee. The card also lets you earn the coveted Companion Pass and allows your bags to fly for free.
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card Overview
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card also offers various bonuses and rewards. Cardholders can enjoy welcome bonuses, anniversary points and earn miles that can be redeemed for purchases.
- 60,000 bonus points plus a 30% off promo code after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account
- Certain purchases do not earn points
- No blackout dates when booking flights with points
Important Card Details
If you are considering completing a Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card application, make sure you understand all of the rates and fees. Review the rewards rates, APR, penalties and transaction fees.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card has a high variable APR. For purchases, Chase loans and balance transfers, the interest rate is 20.99% – 27.99%. Meanwhile, the Cash Advance APR is 29.99%. The default APR for failure to make the minimum payment by the due date as well as returned payments is up to 29.99%.
The annual membership fee is $99.
Miles Rewards Rate
The rates to earn miles depends on the transaction. For the first year, cardholders can get 3x miles per dollar spent at eligible restaurants and delivery services. Regular rewards rates are 2x miles at Southwest Airlines, hotels and car rental partners as well as 1x miles on other eligible purchases.
Foreign Transaction Fee
This card has no foreign transaction fee.
Balance Transfer Fees
Balance transfers cost either $5 or 5%, whichever is greater.
Cash Advance Fees
Cash advances have a fee of either $10 or 5% per transaction, whichever amount is higher.
Late and return payments have corresponding penalty fees of up to $40.
There are additional features that the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier credit card offers that could be suitable for your needs. While this credit card has limited travel perks, it does offer other perks that may interest you.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: You get up to $3,000 coverage per passenger for damages to or loss of your or an immediate family member’s carry-on luggage if this is caused by the carrier.
- Baggage delay insurance: If your baggage gets delayed for over six hours due to the passenger carrier, you can get reimbursements of up to $100 per day for three days to cover essential purchases like clothing and toiletries.
- Extended warranty protection: You can get a one-year extension on U.S. manufacturer’s warranties. This applies to purchases with warranties good for three years or less.
- Purchase protection: You get coverage against damage or theft of new purchases for 120 days. The coverage is up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Contactless payment: You can pay by tapping your card for checkouts that have the contactless symbol.
How the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card Compares To Other Cards
This credit card is an ideal option for frequent travelers looking for a basic card. You can earn miles through various transactions, which you can use to pay for flights, get gift cards and buy merchandise. You can also enjoy 0% foreign transaction fees. However, it has a higher APR, annual fee and fewer travel perks than other similar credit cards.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
How the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card Compares
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $99
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Regular APR for Purchases: 20.99% – 27.99% variable
- Welcome Bonus: Earn 60,000 bonus points plus a 30% off promo code after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account
- Best For: Frequent Southwest fliers looking for a basic card with no foreign transaction fees and a lot of miles-earning opportunities
World of Hyatt Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $95
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Regular APR for Purchases: 21.24% – 28.24% variable
- Welcome Bonus: Earn up to 60,000 bonus points in the first six months (30,000 after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first three months and up to 30,000 by earning two bonus points per $1 in the first six months)
- Best For: Travelers who like staying at Hyatt Hotels and Resorts
Frequently Asked Questions
- Chase. "Chase Credit Cards - Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card." Accessed September 6, 2021.
- Chase. "Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Card." Accessed September 6, 2021.
- Chase. "Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card Pricing & Terms." Accessed September 6, 2021.
- Chase. "World of Hyatt Credit Card." Accessed September 6, 2021.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. "Credit Card Agreement Database." Accessed September 6, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2020 U.S. National Banking Satisfaction Study." Accessed September 6, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.