The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
A very good rewards card with no foreign transaction fees and comprehensive travel cover
- 1–2 Points per $1Rewards Rate
- 21.49% – 28.49% VariableAPR
- $95Annual Fee
- ExcellentRecommended Credit
MoneyGeek meticulously verifies and analyzes data while reviewing credit cards. We standardize data points for fair comparisons, estimate average spending profiles, determine long-term value and re-rank regularly. We collect information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database.
In this review of the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card credit card, we focus on its merits for travel rewards and the many ways you can earn and redeem reward points based on your travel, dining, and general purchases. The card also comes with an excellent welcome offer that further enhances the value. It combines a reasonable annual fee, bonus points for travel, dining and other activities as well as travel protection features.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card Overview
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card, travel purchases have significant bonuses. You earn 5x rewards points on all travel purchases made through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program. You earn 3x reward points for eligible dining, takeout and delivery services. On other travel purchases, you get 2x reward points. Meanwhile, all other purchases accrue one point per dollar. You can then redeem these points with Chase Ultimate Rewards or transfer them to several hotel and airline partners.
The card also includes a very generous welcome offer of 60,000 points, a value of about $1,250, once you complete $4,000 worth of purchases during the first three months of opening your card account. You can also earn 3x rewards points for grocery expenses and select streaming services.
- Get 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in the first three months
- Use your card to pay for groceries and stand to earn up to $50 as statement credit in the first year
- Earn 2x points on dining out, takeout and other eligible delivery services, as well as on travel purchases
- Ean 1x points on purchases across all other categories
- Use points to pay for products or services made available through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program or directly from other merchants
- Get 25% more value for your points when you redeem them through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Some of the 1:1 points transfer members include AerClub, British Airways Executive Club, Emirates Skywards, JetBlue TrueBlue, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Bonvoy and World of Hyatt
- Complimentary travel protection comes in the form of trip cancellation/interruption insurance, auto rental collision damage waiver, baggage delay insurance, trip delay reimbursement as well as travel and emergency assistance services
- Safeguard your purchases through purchase protection and extended warranty protection
Important Card Details
This card has no introductory APR offer, so you will have to work with a variable APR of 20.49% – 27.49%, which is quite high compared to other credit cards.
The card has an annual fee of $95, which is reasonable considering market trends. In fact, you can easily recoup the value of the annual fee with your rewards spending, especially if you are primarily using your card for travel-related expenses.
With this card, you have a balance transfer fee of $5 or 5% of the transfer amount, whichever is greater. You also have a cash advance fee of the greater of $10 or 5% of the transfer amount. There is no foreign purchase transaction fee.
Many other features and benefits come bundled with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card credit card, including:
- Primary rental car insurance: The card includes an auto rental collision damage waiver which means you would not need to file a claim with an insurer to receive coverage. This covers physical damage, theft, towing charges and valid loss of use.
- Travel features: Since this is a travel card, it comes with a plethora of travel-specific features. This includes baggage delay insurance, trip delay insurance and insurance for trip cancellation or interruption. You also have insurance for travel accidents, reimbursement for lost luggage, travel and emergency assistance and complimentary roadside dispatch.
- Purchase protection: New purchases you make using this card are protected with purchase protection against theft or damage for a period of 120 days, with certain exceptions like used items and antiques. The protection includes up to $500 per claim and up to $50,000 per account.
- DoorDash subscription: The card comes with a complimentary DashPass subscription service provided by DoorDash, valid for one year. This provides reduced fees for orders over $12 and unlimited deliveries with no delivery fee.
- Peloton credits: When you purchase an eligible Peloton membership, you get up to $60 back using your card. This gives you access to the popular Peloton digital home workout library.
- No foreign transaction fees: It is easy to use this card while traveling abroad since there are no foreign transaction fees involved.
How the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card Compares To Other Cards
This card is a good choice both for casual and frequent travelers who are looking for a streamlined experience with a solid reward accumulation rate with a low annual fee. It stacks up well against the competition. However, it is a good idea to compare it against other cards to see if it is the right fit for you.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card vs Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card vs American Express® Gold Card
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card vs Citi Premier® Card
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card vs Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card vs Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Chase Sapphire Preferre ®Card vs Chase Freedom Flex℠
How the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card Compares
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95
- APR : 20.49% – 27.49% variable
- Welcome Bonus Points: 60,000 bonus points by spending $4,000 in the first three months
- Best for: Casual and frequent travelers
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $95
- APR : 20.24% – 28.24% variable
- Welcome Bonus Points: 75,000 bonus miles by spending $4,000 in the first three months
- Best for: Casual and frequent travelers
Frequently Asked Questions
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.