Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold Review
Travelers who wish to remain loyal to the Marriott Bonvoy chain of hotels around the world can add the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold to their wallets. With this card, you will earn rewards on purchases made while staying in Marriott properties and be able to redeem points for free nights at these properties.
The Marriott Bonvoy Bold is a strong, beginner-friendly points card with a good earning capacity. You earn double points on purchases made on travel purchases such as airfare, taxis, and trains, all without an annual fee. Another benefit of the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold card is its contactless pay capability. You only need to tap the card to a checkout terminal to make your payments. That makes the card more secure when used to settle your accommodation, travel and other related expenses. Moreover, cardholders do not pay international transaction fees.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold at a Glance
Apart from charging no annual fees, the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold card has several other benefits for cardholders. Members are automatically eligible for 15 elite qualifying nights each year, which are enough to enjoy Silver status in the Chase rewards program. This provides access to better rates and a 10% points bonus on hotel accommodations.
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
Great no annual fee card for earning points at Marriot properties
- Good-ExcellentCredit Needed
- $0Annual Fee
- 1–2 Points per $1Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate at Hotels
- 2xRewards Rate on Air Travel
Pros & Cons Explained
While you may be aware of some Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold benefits, you also need to understand the card’s drawbacks. This information can help you decide if the card is right for you.
- No foreign transaction feeWith other cards, you may pay up to 3% for transactions made outside the United States. Using this card means that you will not pay any fees for international transactions.
- Travel and purchase coverageThe card makes you eligible for baggage delay coverage of up to $100 per day for five days, lost luggage coverage of up to $3,000 per passenger and trip delay reimbursement of up to $500 per ticket.
- No annual feeLike most other leading cards, you will not be charged any annual fees for using the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold credit card.
- Excellent rewardsThe card offers several points for each transaction.
- Points earned in limited situationsCardholders will not earn points on cash advances, balance transfers or any cash-like transactions.
- Limited Marriott Bonvoy benefitsSince the card has no annual fee, some of the special benefits that come with other hotel cards, like a free night certificate or complimentary upgrade on the elite status, are not available.
- Good credit is requiredYou must have good or excellent credit to qualify for this card.
- Points can expireYou will need to actively participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program to avoid losing your points.
- The best rewards are tied to Marriott hotelsSome of the perks may not make sense if you do not intend to stay at Marriott hotels.
MoneyGeek ranked its database of credit cards across different categories. You can compare this card with the recommended travel cards and see whether you can find the right option for your travel needs.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold customers are usually entitled to various bonuses and rewards.
Once you get this card, you will receive 30,000 bonus points if you spend $1,000 on transactions within the first three months of opening your account.
Travel and purchase coverage
Card users receive perks like baggage delay and trip delay coverage, as well as 24/7 signature concierge service.
Members earn three points for each $1 spent at any Marriott Bonvoy hotel and up to 10 points for being a Marriott Bonvoy member. They also get Silver Elite status for being Marriott Bonvoy cardmembers.
Other Features Explained
There are several other features associated with this card besides its benefits and rewards.
- Card FeatureDescription
- 15 elite night credits each yearWith this card, you can earn 15 nights per year, qualifying you for Silver Elite Status.
- Purchase protectionYour purchases will be covered against theft and damage for 120 days for up to $500 per claim and $30,000 per account.
- Customer serviceYou can access the Visa Signature Concierge Service any time of the day if you need assistance with making reservations for meals, entertainment and much more.
"This card offers a lot of bonus points for a card with no annual fee. This is a great way to add some points to your Marriott Bonvoy loyalty account without having to pay an annual fee." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
While this card offers a sign-up bonus to new cardmembers, it is essential to mention that individuals who have the Premier credit card and Boundless credit card from Marriott Bonvoy in the past 24 months are not eligible to receive the bonus. However, the card is an ideal option for individuals seeking to supplement their rewards without an additional annual fee.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–2 Points per $1
- Airline Benefits
Variable APR on Purchases
The Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold has a variable APR of between 15.99% and 22.99% on all purchases. The rates depend on each market’s prime rates and the customer’s creditworthiness. The same APR rates apply for balance transfers as well as the My Chase Loan feature, although promotional offers with fixed APRs may be available on some accounts once in a while.
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold customers may also pay a penalty APR of up to 29.99% if they fail to make the minimum payment by the due date or if the payment is returned as unpaid. Most cardholders avoid this penalty since it may last indefinitely if it’s applied to their accounts.
My Chase Plan Fee
This is a fixed monthly rate charged on each eligible purchase transaction per month. For this card, the fee is 1.72% of the transaction cost, and this amount remains constant until you complete payment for your plan.
Balance transfer Fee
The Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold balance transfer fee is $5 or 5% of the amount transferred depending on whichever amount is higher. For instance, if you transfer $50 from another card to your Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold card, you will pay $5 since 5% of $50 is $2.50, which is less than $5.
Late payment Fees
Marriott Bonvoy charges $40 as the late fee for the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold card as well as a return payment fee of the same amount.
Cash Advance Fee
You will pay $10 or 5% of the amount taken as cash advance based on whichever is greater.
Various factors contribute to the best credit cards to apply for, including the associated fees as well as the benefits and rewards associated with the card. If you are not sure whether purchasing the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold is the best deal, you can compare it with other similar credit cards in the travel category. You may find some vital comparison information on the provider’s app or website. You can also check your billing information or the credit card agreement database owned and maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold?
Other Considerations for Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
While this card provides various rewards, you may need to make a few considerations to ensure that you draw the most benefits from it. These considerations can be based on if the card will be your only card or an additional card in your wallet.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
To get this card, the first aspect you may wish to consider is your credit score. The card is meant for individuals with good or excellent credit scores. The more you use the card, the more points you will earn. To qualify for the sign-up bonus, you will need to spend at least $1,000 within the first three months of opening your account. The card also features numerous perks for travelers and may not offer the highest reward to you if you do not intend to travel.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
The Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold card benefits are most suited for individuals who love spending at the Marriott Bonvoy hotels. With over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, members will have many options when booking hotel stays and will earn three points per dollar for such transactions. Since members also earn two dollars on travel purchases, you can also get good rewards even if you do not stay on the Marriott properties.
To determine the best credit cards, MoneyGeek utilized a detailed step-by-step assessment process. The first step was to obtain the relevant credit card information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. We then generate standard data points and ideal spend profiles, outline the bonuses offered by each card option and carry out a continuous assessment of the information relating to each card every month.
How Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold Compares to Other Cards
The Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold card is one of the few cards that combine travel and purchase coverage with no annual fees. If you have good to excellent credit, you can make use of the card to enjoy various rewards. However, other cards may be better suited to your needs.
In-Depth Credit Card Comparisons:
Quick Comparison of Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold
- Annual fee: $0
- Purchase APR: 15.99 - 22.99%
- Sign up bonus: 60,000 points for spending $2,000 in the first 3 months
- Balance transfer fee: $5 or 3%
- Foreign transaction fee: $0
- Cash back fee: $10 or 5% on all purchases
- Best For: Travelers and loyal customers to Marriott Bonvoy
Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Annual fee: $0
- Purchase APR: 15.74% - 24.74% variable
- Sign up bonus: 100,000 points for spending $1,000 in the first three months
- Balance transfer fee: $5 or 5%
- Foreign transaction fee: $0
- Cash back fee: $10 or 5% on all purchases
- Best For: Travelers seeking to earn more points on signup, and who are loyal to the Hilton chain of hotels
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
According to the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold reviews, the card has features that are ideal for travelers seeking to supplement cards that do not offer enough travel rewards. If you want to get this card, here are some of the commonly asked questions that you are likely to come across.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
While this card carries several benefits and rewards, you may not enjoy its perks if you are not a traveler. You may also miss out on some rewards if you do not stay in a Marriott Bonvoy facility when you travel. The card doesn’t rank among the best options for travel, but you can check out some alternatives across various other categories, such as the best secured cards and best balance transfer cards from MoneyGeeks recommendations.
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Chase Credit Cards. "Marriott Bonvoy Bold: Hotel and Travel Credit Card." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- Marriott Bonvoy. "Marriott Bonvoy Credit Cards." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "2020 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study." Accessed September 3, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.