British Airways Visa Signature® Card Review
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card credit card is an airline-focused card that promises good value for frequent fliers, especially those who travel internationally. It can also be a good option for customers seeking loyalty status with British Airways or partner airlines.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
In this review of the British Airways Visa Signature® Card credit card, we take a look at its features to help you determine if this is the right credit card for you. This co-branded British Airways card can be a good option for those who spend heavily on international travel and dining. With an excellent bonus offer and a generous rewards scheme, you can quickly earn points for travel. You can also use this card to fast-track your loyalty status with the British Airways membership program.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
British Airways Visa Signature® Card at a Glance
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card comes with many benefits, including a welcome offer of 100,000 Avios rewards (British Airways’ version of miles rewards) after spending $5,000 within the first three months. You can also earn Avios points with airline expenses, hotel bills and other purchases. Cardholders are eligible for a British Airways Travel Together companion ticket after spending $30,000 a year, and there are no foreign transaction fees on this card.
- British Airways Visa Signature® Card
A good choice for British Airways loyalists looking to earn Avios
- Good–ExcellentRecommended Credit
- $95Annual Fee
- 1–5 Avios per $1Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate at Hotels
Pros & Cons Explained
While the British Airways Visa Signature® Card can have many benefits for the right cardholder, it is important to discuss its pros and cons so that you can easily decide if it is for you.
- Flight discountsEvery calendar year, you can get up to three statement credits of $100 or $200 depending on the type of flight you book. You can also be eligible for a 10% discount when booking British Airways flights that originate in the U.S. with your card.
- Great rewardsThe welcome offer gives you 100,000 Avios points for spending $5,000 in your first three months. British Airways also has partnerships with several other airlines, which further enhances your options while booking a ticket.
- Travel TogetherIf you spend $20,000 or more in a calendar year, you qualify for a Travel Together ticket valid for two years. This helps you bring another passenger with you on a flight in the same class of cabin free of cost, including first class, valid for round-trip British Airways flights starting from and landing in the U.S.
- Complex rewards programYou might have a difficult time figuring out exactly how to maximize earning and redeeming rewards points to get the best possible value with British Airways.
- Expensive surchargesSurcharges for British Airways flights are usually on the higher side. This means that it can get expensive to redeem your Avios points for British Airways flights. You would have to weigh your options before deciding whether to redeem or not for specific flights.
- Lack of co-branded benefitsThis card does not come with many of the benefits you typically see in a co-branded card, such as priority boarding or free checked bags.
MoneyGeek evaluates each card on a monthly basis and selects top picks across popular categories. Check out our current selections for the best travel cards of 2022.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The benefits that come with the British Airways Visa Signature® Card include a welcome offer of 100,000 Avios points after spending $5,000 or more with your card within the first three months of opening your account. Further, you can earn 3x Avios points for every dollar spent with British Airways and partner airlines like Iberia and Aer Lingus. Hotel bookings earn 2x Avios per dollar. For all other purchases, you get 1x points per dollar spent. You can redeem your points in many ways, including:
A great way to redeem your points is to use them to book flights with British Airways or any of its partner airlines. You can also pay for flight upgrades with reward points.
In certain cases, you can pay for travel experiences, hotel stays and car rentals with your reward points.
You can use your points with membership programs offered by the partners of British Airways and Oneworld Alliance.
>>MORE: CHASE ULTIMATE REWARDS: PROGRAM GUIDE
Other Features Explained
With the Chase British Airways Visa Signature card, you can expect several other features and benefits, including:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Access to eventsAs a cardholder, you have access to special events and experiences through Above and Beyond events. These can include luxury hotel stays, special tours and more.
- Reimbursement for lost luggageIf any of your luggage, including checked and carry-on luggage, is lost or damaged during transit, you can claim reimbursement to offset the loss up to $3,000 per passenger.
- Delay insuranceIf your baggage gets delayed by more than six hours, you are eligible for a daily reimbursement of $100 for essential purchases for a maximum of three days.
"British Avios can be used to book travel on partner airlines, including those in the OneWorld Alliance, which includes American Airlines. Just be sure to watch out for the taxes and fees as redemptions with British Airways can include some of the heftiest out there." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- APR20.49% – 27.49% Variable
- Annual Fee$95
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–5 Avios per $1
- Airline Benefits
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card comes with a moderately high variable APR of 20.24% – 27.24%. There is no introductory APR offer with this card. For cash advances, there is a variable APR of 29.24%. However, there is no penalty APR associated with this card, although any late fee will still apply.
The card charges an annual fee of $95.
For balance transfers, the card charges $5 or 5% of the amount of the transfer, whichever is greater. For cash advances, the charge is $10 or 5% of each transaction, whichever is greater.
If you are comparing this card with other airline co-branded cards or travel cards, pay attention to the APR, the value of the reward points, welcome offers and other fees and charges. When comparing with an existing card, just go through your last billing statement or check the website or mobile app of your card provider. You can also find the information you need through the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider British Airways Visa Signature® Card?
Other Considerations for British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Whether the British Airways Visa Signature® Card would be the right choice for you depends on how you plan to use it. Depending on whether you want this to be your only card or another card in your wallet, considerations might vary and influence your decision.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan to make this your only card, consider that you will get the most value out of this if you are a heavy traveler with frequent international travel requirements and a preference for British Airways. The annual fee, relatively high APR and complicated rewards structure make this a mediocre choice otherwise.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
For those traveling frequently to international locations, this can be a good additional card in your wallet if you prefer British Airways and partner airlines. This is also a good way to earn Avios points if you are interested in the related loyalty programs. Keeping this card along with a rewards or cash back-focused card can give you the best of both worlds.
Our methodology while reviewing and comparing credit cards is streamlined and well-defined. We collect information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database, standardize data points for fair comparison, determine long-term value, analyze average spending profiles and re-rank regularly.
How British Airways Visa Signature® Card Compares to Other Cards
While the British Airways Visa Signature® Card provides good value for frequent fliers who prefer British Airways, you can compare it with competing cards to ascertain whether this would be a good choice for you.
Quick Comparison of British Airways Visa Signature® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
- Annual Fee: $95
- APR: 20.24% – 27.24% variable
- International Transaction Fee: 0%
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Avios. Earn 75,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening and earn an additional 25,000 Avios after spending $20,000 in the first 12 months of account opening.
- Best for: Frequent international travelers using British Airways and partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- Annual Fee: $95
- APR: 21.24% – 28.24%
- International Transaction Fee: 0%
- Welcome Offer: 60,000 Chase Reward Points
- Best for: Frequent international travelers who want more freedom with rewards
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Here are some important frequently asked questions about the British Airways Visa Signature® Card that you can check out to make your decision easier.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you are still not sure whether this card is for you, take a look at other airline co-branded travel cards. If you are not interested in a travel card, you might find better value with a balance transfer card or a rewards card.
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
American Express Cash Magnet® Card
American Express® Gold Card
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Plus
Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
World of Hyatt Credit Card
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding Credit
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Mastercard® Black Card™
Mastercard® Titanium Card™
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature®
U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
American Express® Business Gold Card
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard® Secured Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Iberia Visa Signature® Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
Citi® Double Cash Card
United℠ Business Card
United Club℠ Infinite Card
United℠ Explorer Card
United Gateway℠ Card
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® Card
Citi Premier® Card
Citi Rewards+® Card
Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Credit One Bank® Platinum X5 Visa®
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
Hilton Honors American Express Card
Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
The Plum Card® from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express
Indigo® Platinum Mastercard®
Mastercard® Gold Card™
Merrick Bank Double Your Line® Secured Credit Card
Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card
Credit One Bank® NASCAR® American Express® Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
United Quest℠ Card
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Card for Students
Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card for Students
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature cashRewards Card
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card
PenFed Pathfinder® Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
Citi Simplicity® Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
Spark 1.5% Cash Select
Chase Slate Edge℠
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Chase Credit Cards. "British Airways Visa Signature card." Accessed September 4, 2021.
- Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. "Credit card agreement database." Accessed September 4, 2021.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. Learn more about our editorial policies and expert editorial team.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.