British Airways Visa Signature® Card Review
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card credit card is an airline-focused card that promises good value for frequent fliers, especially those who travel internationally. It can also be a good option for customers seeking loyalty status with British Airways or partner airlines.
In this review of the British Airways Visa Signature® Card credit card, we take a look at its features to help you determine if this is the right credit card for you. This co-branded British Airways card can be a good option for those who spend heavily on international travel and dining. With an excellent bonus offer and a generous rewards scheme, you can quickly earn points for travel. You can also use this card to fast-track your loyalty status with the British Airways membership program.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
British Airways Visa Signature® Card at a Glance
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card comes with many benefits, including a welcome offer of 100,000 Avios rewards (British Airways’ version of miles rewards) after spending $5,000 within the first three months. You can also earn Avios points with airline expenses, hotel bills and other purchases. Cardholders are eligible for a British Airways Travel Together companion ticket after spending $30,000 a year, and there are no foreign transaction fees on this card.
- British Airways Visa Signature® Card
A good choice for British Airways loyalists looking to earn Avios
- Good-ExcellentCredit Needed
- $95Annual Fee
- 1–5 Avios per $1Rewards Rate
- 3xRewards Rate on Air Travel
- 2xRewards Rate at Hotels
Pros & Cons Explained
While the British Airways Visa Signature® Card can have many benefits for the right cardholder, it is important to discuss its pros and cons so that you can easily decide if it is for you.
- Flight discountsEvery calendar year, you can get up to three statement credits of $100 or $200 depending on the type of flight you book. You can also be eligible for a 10% discount when booking British Airways flights that originate in the U.S. with your card.
- Great rewardsThe welcome offer gives you 100,000 Avios points for spending $5,000 in your first three months. British Airways also has partnerships with several other airlines, which further enhances your options while booking a ticket.
- Travel TogetherIf you spend $20,000 or more in a calendar year, you qualify for a Travel Together ticket valid for two years. This helps you bring another passenger with you on a flight in the same class of cabin free of cost, including first class, valid for round-trip British Airways flights starting from and landing in the U.S.
- Complex rewards programYou might have a difficult time figuring out exactly how to maximize earning and redeeming rewards points to get the best possible value with British Airways.
- Expensive surchargesSurcharges for British Airways flights are usually on the higher side. This means that it can get expensive to redeem your Avios points for British Airways flights. You would have to weigh your options before deciding whether to redeem or not for specific flights.
- Lack of co-branded benefitsThis card does not come with many of the benefits you typically see in a co-branded card, such as priority boarding or free checked bags.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The benefits that come with the British Airways Visa Signature® Card include a welcome offer of 100,000 Avios points after spending $5,000 or more with your card within the first three months of opening your account. Further, you can earn 5x Avios points for every dollar spent with British Airways and partner airlines like Iberia and Aer Lingus for the first 12 months. After the first 12 months of card membership, you’ll earn 3x points for every dollar. Hotel bookings earn 3x Avios per dollar during the first year of card membership and 2x Avios thereafter. For all other purchases, you get 1x points per dollar spent.
You can redeem your points in many ways, including:
A great way to redeem your points is to use them to book flights with British Airways or any of its partner airlines. You can also pay for flight upgrades with reward points.
In certain cases, you can pay for travel experiences, hotel stays and car rentals with your reward points.
Other Features Explained
With the Chase British Airways Visa Signature card, you can expect several other features and benefits, including:
- Card FeatureDescription
- Access to eventsAs a cardholder, you have access to special events and experiences through Above and Beyond events. These can include luxury hotel stays, special tours and more.
- Reimbursement for lost luggageIf any of your luggage, including checked and carry-on luggage, is lost or damaged during transit, you can claim reimbursement to offset the loss up to $3,000 per passenger.
- Delay insuranceIf your baggage gets delayed by more than six hours, you are eligible for a daily reimbursement of $100 for essential purchases for a maximum of three days.
"British Avios can be used to book travel on partner airlines, including those in the OneWorld Alliance, which includes American Airlines. Just be sure to watch out for the taxes and fees as redemptions with British Airways can include some of the heftiest out there." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$95
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1–5 Avios per $1
- Airline Benefits
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card comes with a moderately high variable APR of 19.74% – 26.74%. There is no introductory APR offer with this card. For cash advances, there is a variable APR of 28.74%. However, there is no penalty APR associated with this card, although any late fee will still apply.
The card charges an annual fee of $95.
For balance transfers, the card charges $5 or 5% of the amount of the transfer, whichever is greater. For cash advances, the charge is $10 or 5% of each transaction, whichever is greater.
If you are comparing this card with other airline co-branded cards or travel cards, pay attention to the APR, the value of the reward points, welcome offers and other fees and charges. When comparing with an existing card, just go through your last billing statement or check the website or mobile app of your card provider. You can also find the information you need through the credit card agreement database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider British Airways Visa Signature® Card?
Other Considerations for British Airways Visa Signature® Card
Whether the British Airways Visa Signature® Card would be the right choice for you depends on how you plan to use it. Depending on whether you want this to be your only card or another card in your wallet, considerations might vary and influence your decision.
Things to Consider if This Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
If you plan to make this your only card, consider that you will get the most value out of this if you are a heavy traveler with frequent international travel requirements and a preference for British Airways. The annual fee, relatively high APR and complicated rewards structure make this a mediocre choice otherwise.
Things to Consider if This Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
For those traveling frequently to international locations, this can be a good additional card in your wallet if you prefer British Airways and partner airlines. This is also a good way to earn Avios points if you are interested in the related loyalty programs. Keeping this card along with a rewards or cash back-focused card can give you the best of both worlds.
Our methodology while reviewing and comparing credit cards is streamlined and well-defined. We collect information from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau’s database, standardize data points for fair comparison, determine long-term value, analyze average spending profiles and re-rank regularly.
How British Airways Visa Signature® Card Compares to Other Cards
While the British Airways Visa Signature® Card provides good value for frequent fliers who prefer British Airways, you can compare it with competing cards to ascertain whether this would be a good choice for you.
Quick Comparison of British Airways Visa Signature® Card
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
- Annual Fee: $95
- APR: 19.74% – 26.74% variable
- International Transaction Fee: 0%
- Welcome Offer: 100,000 Avios
- Best for: Frequent international travelers using British Airways and partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- Annual Fee: $95
- APR: 18.99% – 25.99% variable
- International Transaction Fee: 0%
- Welcome Offer: 60,000 Chase Reward Points
- Best for: Frequent international travelers who want more freedom with rewards
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
Here are some important frequently asked questions about the British Airways Visa Signature® Card that you can check out to make your decision easier.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you are still not sure whether this card is for you, take a look at other airline co-branded travel cards. If you are not interested in a travel card, you might find better value with a balance transfer card or a rewards card.
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Capital One Spark Cash Select - $500 Cash Bonus - Good Credit
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Amazon Business Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Discover it® chrome Credit Card
American Express® Gold Card
IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card
Capital One Spark Miles for Business Select
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
American Express Cash Magnet® Card
West Elm Key Rewards Credit Card
Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa®
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Citi Simplicity® Card
Mastercard® Black Card™
Aer Lingus Visa Signature®
Learn more about credit cards in general
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses and recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity.
Advertiser Disclosure: MoneyGeek has partnered with CardRatings.com and CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. MoneyGeek, CardRatings and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. To ensure thorough comparisons and reviews, MoneyGeek features products from both paid partners and unaffiliated card issuers that are not paid partners.