The Capital One Spark Cash Select credit card is a good option for small business owners looking for an unlimited cash back card without an annual fee or international transaction fees. Its offers and features are impressive, although a few are contingent on your credit score.
Capital One Spark Cash Select Review
The Capital One Spark Cash Select card is for people with excellent credit scores who prefer to earn flat-rate cash back on every purchase they make without paying anything for annual fees or foreign transactions. There are no bonus categories to memorize or spending limits to keep an eye out for.
If you spend $4,500 in your first three months as a cardholder, you will earn an impressive $500 bonus. Your credit score, however, determines your APR. MoneyGeek's Capital One Spark Cash Select review delves into the card's features, advantages, drawbacks and other characteristics to help you determine if it's right for you.
Card Details to Know Up Front
- Bonus, Fee or FeatureHas or Not
- Has Annual Fee
- Has Balance Transfer Offer
- Has APR Offer
- Cash Back Rewards
- Travel Rewards
Capital One Spark Cash Select at a Glance
Capital One's no-annual-fee Spark Cash Select credit card lets you earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases. You can easily earn a $500 cash bonus after spending $4,500 on purchases within the first three months of account setup. All of these benefits are available when conducting international transactions or shopping in foreign currency, thanks to the absence of a foreign transaction fee.
- Capital One Spark Cash Select
An excellent unlimited cash back card for small business owners
- Good–ExcellentCredit Needed
- $0Annual Fee
- 1.5% Cash BackRewards Rate
- 1.5xRewards Rate on Gas
- 1.5xRewards Rate on Groceries
Pros & Cons Explained
Capital One's Spark Cash Select card can be appealing for deal-seekers who want to be rewarded with simple cash back. But there are also a few drawbacks that may dissuade you from considering it.
- No Annual FeeYou will not pay an annual fee for the card's lifetime. This gives it an edge over competing cards that charge an annual fee.
- Flat-Rate Cash Back RewardsThe Spark Cash Select card gives you an unlimited opportunity to earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase, without category restrictions or spending caps.
- No Foreign Transaction FeeWith no surcharge on foreign transactions, you can make the most of your card while earning points on the go.
- New Cardholder OffersThe Spark Cash Select card gives you an introductory $500 cash bonus if you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first three months from account opening.
- Flexible PaymentsWith this card, you can choose your monthly payment due date. You have complete control over when you choose to pay each month.
- No Special Reward CategoriesYou can't expect high rewards on specific categories with its flat-rate cash back system, as you can with some other business cards. Some competing cards offer up to 5% on purchases in bonus categories.
- No Redemption BonusesThis card’s flat rewards structure does not offer the opportunity to cash in bonus points for special redemptions, as some cards do.
MoneyGeek ranks credit cards on a monthly basis and revises the lists semi-annually. The Capital One Spark Cash Select card didn’t top any of our lists. However, if you are interested in other small business cards or rewards cards, you should explore our lists to evaluate what works best for you. With your excellent credit score, you might also be interested in one of our best credit cards for people with excellent credit.
Bonuses & Rewards Explained
The Capital One Spark Cash Select credit card’s benefits are more than those listed above. Take a look at what else it has to offer.
Welcome Bonus for New Cardholders
The $500 intro cash bonus for spending $4,500 in the first three months is an easy win.
Guaranteed Cash Back Rate of 1.5%
With its 1.5% flat-rate cash back guarantee, you can get money back on all your purchases. This doesn’t include balance transfers or cash advances. This will be a welcome offer for those who don’t want to memorize revolving bonus cash back categories.
Flexible Redemption Program
On request, your cash back can be redeemed as a statement credit or a check. The other option is to set an automatic redemption preference for a specific time of year or when the cash back amount reaches a specified level. You may also use the points to pay off your card purchases, get gift cards and more.
You are free to add employee cards to the credit account at no extra cost. This helps you earn rewards faster.
Other Features Explained
Besides the Capital One Spark Cash Select card’s benefits, here are a few more features that we found interesting about the card.
- Card FeatureDescription
- Account ManagersYou can assign an authorized user to your account and have them manage your account on your behalf.
- Automatic PaymentsNo more missing payments! You can set up auto-pay so you don't have to log in to your account every month for making payments.
- Capital One Mobile AppUsing the mobile app accessible for both iOS and Android users, you can lock your card or an employee's card if it has been lost or stolen, receive transaction alerts, make payments, manage your rewards, set spend limits for employee cards, view statements and purchase records and more.
"You’ll be surprised at how fast rewards add up on a 1.5x bonus structure on all purchases. Automate payments and this system becomes an easy, low-cost way to earn some travel rewards." - Alene Laney, Credit Card Journalist
Understanding the Fine Print
Knowing how credit cards work is highly important while you learn the benefits, fees and interest rates of each card. The following table provides fees, interest rates, rewards rates and other information about Capital One Spark Cash Select.
- Card FeatureAmount or Rate
- Annual Fee$0
- Cash Back Rewards
- Rewards Rate1.5% Cash Back
- Airline Benefits
MoneyGeek's credit card glossary can help you learn more about common credit card terminology.
No Annual Fee
You pay no annual fee for using this card.
The Capital One Spark Cash Select card carries a reasonable APR on purchases and balance transfers. The APR will be 13.24%, 16.24% or 19.24% based on your creditworthiness. Cash advances have a higher interest rate of 26.99% regardless of your credit score.
Cash Back Reward Rate
Every purchase you make with this card gives you 1.5% cash back. This eliminates the need to memorize reward categories or spending caps.
Foreign Transaction Fee
With no surcharge on transactions made in a foreign currency or outside the United States, you can still earn cash back rewards with no penalties while shopping around the world.
Cash Advance Fee
In addition to the high interest rate on cash advances, expect to pay a fee of $10 or 3% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater.
To choose a card that is right for you, compare several cards’ annual fees, APRs, rewards, benefits and drawbacks. If you're comparing Capital One's Spark Cash Select card to another one you already possess, look at your most recent monthly statements or visit your credit card company's website or mobile app for more information. You may also check these facts in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's credit card agreement database.
Who Should & Shouldn’t Consider Capital One Spark Cash Select?
Other Considerations for Capital One Spark Cash Select
When applying for a credit card, its benefits, terms and conditions and drawbacks need to be understood. If you're considering Capital One's Spark Cash Select card, you need to keep in mind the following factors. Check out how it works for you, whether this is your only card or an add-on card.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be Your First or Only Credit Card
As your first or only business credit card, Spark Cash Select may be beneficial if you make frequent foreign trips or use this card for big purchases. The $500 introductory cash back bonus after spending $4,500 in the first three months is an excellent offer. As your only card, the 1.5% flat rate for cash back may make more sense than a card with targeted rewards categories.
Things to Consider if This is Will Be an Additional Card in Your Wallet
Capital One Spark Cash Select may be advantageous as an additional card in your wallet due to its lack of annual fees and cash back limits. MoneyGeek recommends combining it with another rewards card that has bonus categories for improved rewards rates.
MoneyGeek employs a comprehensive rating methodology and review process to rank credit cards and card issuers. The method includes gathering credit card information, standardizing data points, factoring annual and introductory bonuses, analyzing potential cardholder profiles and determining the three-year value for maintaining the cards. The method also includes monthly re-ranking of cards and semi-annual card list updates.
How Capital One Spark Cash Select Compares to Other Cards
The Capital One Spark Cash Select card is a solid option for many small business owners. Shoppers who don't want to be a part of complex rewards programs may love this simple cash back card with no annual fees or spending caps.
Quick Comparison of Capital One Spark Cash Select
Capital One Spark Cash Select
- Annual Fee: None
- Regular APR: 13.24%, 16.24% or 19.24%
- Rewards Rate: 1.5%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: None
- Best for: Small business owners in need of a simple cash back card with unlimited rewards
Chase Ink Business Cash
- Annual Fee: None
- Regular APR: 13.24%–19.24%
- Rewards Rate: 1%–5%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3%
- Best for: Small business owners who spend a significant amount on office supplies and business services
Other Helpful Decision-Making Q&As
If you have any further questions about the Capital One Spark Cash Select card after reading this review, please look at the questions we have answered below. Further information regarding the card can be found on the Capital One website.
Still not sure about this card? Consider these options.
If you're still on the fence about getting the Capital One Spark Cash credit card, take a look at some of the other cards that offer significant benefits. If you don't want a cash back card, a small business travel or rewards card may be the best option for you.
Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature
Citi Rewards+ Card
Citi Diamond Preferred Card
Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Capital One Spark Cash Select
Chase British Airways Visa Signature
Citi American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card
Mastercard Black Card
Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Chase Iberia Visa Signature
Chase United Gateway
Chase Ink Business Cash
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Capital One Spark Miles
Mastercard Titanium Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Chase United Explorer
Chase IHG Rewards Club Traveler
Simmons Rewards Visa Signature
Learn more about credit cards in general
- Capital One. "Credit Card Frequently Asked Questions." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- Capital One. "Credit Line Increase FAQ." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- Capital One. "Pre-Qualified vs. Pre-Approved Credit Card Offers." Accessed September 3, 2021.
- Capital One. "Spark Cash Select." Accessed September 2, 2021.
- J.D. Power. "While Many U.S. Credit Card Issuers Struggle to Meet Evolving Customer Expectations, Some Bright Spots Exist, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed September 3, 2021.